Verizon Droid now runs Android 2.1
Yes, the moment Verizon Droid users have been waiting for has arrived, the update to Android version 2.1 is now available.
What is in this new update? Per a post over at JKontheRun:
- Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the browser, Gallery, and Google Maps.
- New Weather and News application plus widget. − The Weather and News app pulls the information you want from the Web and brings it to your fingertips. You get weekly and hourly weather forecasts based on your location, and news headlines.
- New support for voice-to-text entry.
- Whenever a text-entry box appears, simply tap the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard and speak.
- New Gallery application with 3D layout. View and share photos taken with your phone and images from your online Picasa Web albums.
- Live Wallpapers offer richer animated, interactive backgrounds on the home screen. Access them with a long press anywhere on the home screen. Tap Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers.
- Free Yahoo! Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password.
- Google Maps update − Personalized suggestions and synchronized starring with desktop maps.google.com
- Starred items are stored and synced automatically between Google Maps on your device and maps.google.com on your computer, making it easy to search for places you’ve searched for before.
- New night mode in Google Maps Navigation automatically changes the screen at night for easier viewing.
- Improved pattern-lock functionality.
- Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
The update has been available since 3/30 and is slowly rolling out to the Verizon customer base. Here is the update roll out schedule, per Verizon (by way of Gear Diary):
Below is the software-upgrade notification schedule (All times listed are Eastern Time):
- At noon on 03/30, 1,000 users will receive notification of the update.
- At 11:59 PM on 03/30, 9,000 more users will receive the update notification.
- After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 03/30, there will be a 24-hour period when no additional upgrades will be delivered.
- On Day 3 (04/01), 200,000 users will receive the update notification at 11:59 PM. This schedule will continue each day thereafter until the update has been delivered to all users.
So go forth and update all you Droid users! Enjoy the benefits of Android 2.1.