HTC Thunderbolt 4G Commercial: Do You Like This Kind of Ad?

Verizon’s blasting out an ad for the HTC Thunderbolt 4G in preparation of the device’s official release, which may happen within the next few days. But I’m not 100% sold. The cinematography in the HTC Thunderbolt 4G commercial is certainly impressive, but there just isn’t enough of the phone in the commercial in my opinion.

Ads like these are obviously  meant to get consumers excited about a product and perhaps get them to go online to seek more information about it. That works for enthusiasts, many of whom are already familiar with the device, but what about the millions of customers who just happen to be in the market for a new phone because their wireless contract is up? It’s safe to say this is a much larger target, and one I wish HTC, Motorola and other Android device manufacturers and carriers would speak to.

(Update: It appears Verizon’s pulled the official ad Thunderbolt from YouTube.)

A large part of what’s made the iPhone and other iOS devices successful is that the technology is approachable. As Apple’s commercials clearly communicate – you don’t have to be tech savvy to use the iPhone. You can do stuff like make video calls, look up directions, watch Netflix, listen to Pandora radio and connect with loved ones. You know, the things that normal people like to do.

The HTC Thunderbolt commercial obviously had a much bigger budget than your average wireless commercial, but I don’t think it’ll connect with average consumers. Now that the iPhone is on the Verizon network, it’s time to take the aggressive edge off of Android marketing and start demonstrating the benefits of these devices to consumers.

Now obviously, Verizon wouldn’t be the nation’s largest carrier if it didn’t know a thing or two about marketing. Aggressive Droid and Android commercials have obviously struck a chord in at least part of the population. Which kind of mobile commercials sway you the most?

Comments

• Miker919 says

Getting real tired of the waiting game. by the time this thunderbolt comes out it will be old technology. getting closer to switching to sprint. for the evo 4g.

• Madmax says

This is insane…..all these stupid delays are making everyone sick. My interest in the TBolt has reduced drastically to a point where I am now only “considering” it.

1. Tony says

$299 Verizon are you serious! $250 ok its an upgrade from 3g etc. You should be ashamed wanting customers to pay for your poooooor commercial! Thanks as I think its time to look at competitors
    AT & T and others. I am pissed at the price not to mention you have to pay more for the accessories! I waited forever for this phone. No Thanks. As a matter of fact you just lost 3 customers.

• Solomon Ashurov says

a 32GB iphone costs $299. the thunderbolt comes with a 32GB microSD card (which on its own costs $100) plus 8 gigs of internal memory. thats 40GB in total!!! If price is that much of an issue to you, then buy the thunderbolt, SELL the memory card on ebay. you’ll get atleast $65 after ebay fees. 299 – 65 = 234. Personally, I think that 299 is a fair price and 250 would be a hell of a bargain when compared to the competition. the LTE connectivity is just the icing on that cake.

2. Erikheitmeyer says

This article is dead on verizonwireless needs to stop stressing their network. We get it, your the best now make more personable commercials that will actually get people to come to their stores to buy stuff.

3. 我是最好的 says

I REALLY don’t know what the hell is wrong w/ verizon. I like the commercial but it doesn’t show the benefits of android phones or HTC sense, if i knew nothing about how great this phone is I’d probably over look it. and if they’re in competition w/ ATT and ATT’s HTC Inspire is $99.99 they could at least make this phone not 299.99 not 249.99 not199.99, but $99. or maybe I’m just being cheap. anyways let me stop complaining cause this phone is a beast & my dumb ass is getting it anyways. TIRED OF WAITING THO !

• Solomon Ashurov says

IT HAS A 32GB PREINSTALLED MicroSD CARD!!!

Of course it will be expensive. it will also be north America’s FIRST real 4G phone. HSDPA+ and wimax are not 4G, they are marketing gimmicks. stop whining and comparing it to shittier devices.

I have a verizon LTE usb modem. In NYC, im getting 24Mbits on the download and 3 on the upload side. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint can suck it!

• Solomon Ashurov says

IT HAS A 32GB PREINSTALLED MicroSD CARD!!!

• Solomon Ashurov says

IT HAS A 32GB PREINSTALLED MicroSD CARD!!!

4. Grix365 says

Verizon’s 4G adds are a joke considering that they only offer 4G in a very few limited area…..a lot of good it does the rest of us!!

5. GoodThings2Life says

Price point definitely seems high, but typical Verizon on the phones. At least they have 4G in areas and are expanding, unlike AT&T that doesn’t even have 4G and won’t until next year. You can’t put lipstick on a pig and call it 4G.

6. Brianthigpen says

Commercial is lame. I’m waiting for it because I know it’ll be awesome. But my wife saw the commercial and said “your phone commercial is stupid, they don’t even show the phone. You should just get an iPhone”. The phone should be out any day, just give a stupid release date, I’m tired of googling htc thunderbolt release date.

7. psearcy says

I WAS WAITING ON THE THUNDERBOLT BESIDE THE PUSH BACKS ,WHAT IN THE HELL VERIZON DOING CHARGING US 250 OR 299 DOLLAR FOR A HALF ASS 4G PHONE, THEN THEY JUST REMOVE SKYPE AND PLUS IT’S SINGLE CORE,OTHER CARRIERS ARE CHARGING 199 FOR 4G PHONE PLUS DUAL CORE,THE PHONE MUST BE BUGGY AS HELL I BELIEVE THAT’S WHY THE DATE KEEP BEING PUSH BACK.

8. Epacheco235 says

Dam that’s right. Everyone is tired of google-ing the release date for this phone. It’s just a dam phone that people actually need. Pretty soon it’s gonna be old. so just give us that release date and stop being stupid. Don’t ignore all the people and give them what they want. We are the ones who make up your company, your phones, your employees, your whole business!

9. Neelloc157 says

It is taking way too long and I don’t know how much longer we can hold out for a release date and price!!

10. Neelloc157 says

11. Turd says

I would’ve already bought the X if the Thunderbolt wasn’t so close. If Verizon waits past the 28th then it will be the X…

12. Solomon Ashurov says

I’m using the Droid X now. If I were you, i would have picked up a used droid x on ebay and waited for the Tbolt to come out. but too late now. a week or two left