HTC ThunderBolt Gingerbread Update Rolling Out June 30th?

Consider us skeptical at this point because this all sounds too good to be true but it appears that the HTC ThunderBolt’s Gingerbread update, Android 2.3.4 to be exact, will be rolling out on June 30th and will be bringing a host of goodies that should get ThunderBolt owners excited.

HTC ThunderBolt Update

Some evidence popped up last night indicating that the ThunderBolt Gingerbread update is not only going to bring Android 2.3.4 to the device but would also be bringing Skype with video support, the Amazon Appstore, Google Talk with video chat support joining the Nexus devices, Sense 2.1, enhanced GPS, Download Manager, MyVerizon, and Verizon Phone Finder.

Oh, and above all, it’ll probably fix the ThunderBolt reboot issues. Yup, the update is pretty much the exact thing that ThunderBolt owners have been dreaming about and June 30th is looking like the day it will arrive.

HTC ThunderBolt

We had heard that the end of June was a likely candidate for the update and it appears that the software is right on schedule. So keep those fingers crossed and hope that this is the real deal.

Via: Android and Me

Comments

1. scott braunworth says

@Adam..Yea well you know how that goes, Just like I got my Gingerbread update for my droid 2 Global this week from them!   They never seem to be getting out these updates on time.  I’d rather VZW not say anything, and us just wake up to a surprise 2.3 update waiting when my alarm goes off!

• Joshua Schultz Montana says

I second this motion. It seems you could almost commoditize the update news. And if you state a date then stick to it already.

• Kelly Mleczko says

I talked with Verizon about this the last time I called. They said that right now the Droid X is getting the update and the Thunderbolt is next to get it. So I am not even expecting anything for a few weeks. At least we will get the update.. eventually.

• Eburton571 says

On July 23rd I was told by a vzw manager that this update will be coming in a week. Its July 1 and no signs of update yet. However Portland Oregon just got 4g. Love the down load speed.

2. ashleigh says

@ Scott-
    Technically, VZW hasn’t announced anything and these are all rumors.  We follow the rumors because we want to know what’s coming out.  If you want to be surprised, don’t read the rumor websites and then you won’t be upset that they didn’t come out on the rumored “on time” date.

• scott braunworth says

Ashleigh-
      Just let me correct you on your comment Ashleigh.. Actually, how I first heard about it was I called Verizon tech support about an issue with my phone, and he said don’t worry that should be fixed with the new update that you’ll be getting on the 15th of June, which is the Android 2.3 update from Motorola.  So my info was actually came straight from Verizon themselves, not a “rumor from a website”.
      These websites that you say spread rumors, got this info all because Verizon posted the new update info on their website for everyone to see, and told us customers about it as well..

3. ashleigh says

@ Scott-

4. Russell2minix says

I can only hope that this is true, I am working on my second thunderbolt. My first phone worked great until HTC sent out a update, what a joke. Phone started rebooting 8 to 9 times a day. I don’t want another update like that.

5. Eddie Yasi says

One small point: the Thunderbolt already has the Amazon App Store, so that’s nothing new.  Here’s hoping the June 30th date is accurate!

6. Awd111980 says

Is there an easy one click root method for the Tbolt? I had to sideload PdaNet (since Verizon locked down the market) but using a USB connection greatly slows down the speed by at least 10Mbps on download.  If I do decide to root it using the instructions in forums then I will wait until this update comes out. Pls help, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

7. fauxhawk70 says

Me like! In your face Samsung and your Samsung Galaxy S line of phones. Glad I went to a Google branded device!

8. Drkewings says

Just hung up with VZW tech support; said update should be released today. I was given this info after I refused a refurbished replacement.

• Jcbunch5650 says

They offered me the same thing…really, refurbished after what I paid for new one..not happening ..send me a new one and we gotta deal

9. Anonymous says

Verizon is trying to send something to my phone today. a little over 32MB in size. Not sure if it’s Gingerbread or not.
    I’ve downloaded twice and it won’t install, it just causes my phone to keep shutting down about a minute after it powers up or if it tries to install I get the failure warning sign.

10. TheBoa says

Don’t know if anyone cares but.. i just checked for “Software Update” on my Thunderbolt about 5 min. ago and it just started DL new firmware!!!!!!!!

11. Christopher Daniel says

Looks like the Droid Bionic may hit stores before we see a Gingerbread release…  Got this email at 8:37 tonight, straight from HTC themselves…

Dear Christopher,

I understand that you would like to update your device as soon as possible. I know how important it is to keep your device current and I apologize this is taking so long.

Before releasing a ROM update we have to be sure that the software is going to work properly on your hardware and on your carrier’s network. This testing does take some time but will result in an update that is optimized to work on your device and on your carrier’s network. While we want to release software as soon as we can we will only do so once the software has passed our quality standards.

We stated that the update would be released within the second quarter and I know this has passed. However, as I am sure you are aware, a maintenance release triggered random reboots with the Thunderbolt and many customers were having issues with this and making the devices practically unusable. I can only guess, as I do not have any official information, as to the reason the update was pushed back. My guess is that HTC wanted to correct the rebooting issue before sending out another update. Now, the maintenance release to resolve rebooting issue has been released and I am sure we are diverting our attention back to the Gingerbread update to get this released as quickly as possible for our customers.

At this time we do not have any information about an update for your device. When the update is released it will be announced on HTC.com.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number *****************.

Sincerely,Kathleen

HTCWant to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?