How To (Finally) Jailbreak the iPad 2

iPad 2 owners who want freedom from Apple’s closed operating system can rejoice: the jailbreak for the tablet is now available for the most current firmware version on all devices (excluding betas).

The hack, by developer comex, was released today at the website jailbreakme.com. Here’s how to unleash the new power of your iPad 2:

1. Visit jailbreakme.com
  2. Select “Free” (yes, it looks like an app store download)
  3. Press install
  4. The jailbreak app store, Cydia, will load onto your homescreen. That’s it!

Jailbreaking is the method of opening up Apple’s closed operating system to 3rd party apps and tweaks. The 3rd party app store, Cydia, is the primary way of installing these add-ons and is automatically added during the jailbreaking process. You can see our Top 5 Reasons to Jailbreak for more.

A leaked version of the jailbeak was posted online on Saturday. After a couple of hours, the only firmware the leak could jailbreak was a very old one (4.3) and, as an earlier beta version, the jailbreak may not have been stable.

Jailbreakme 3.0 is effective on all iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches running the current 4.3.3 firmware. It also works on previous firmwares, but 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are excluded (those users can simply update their software before jailbreaking). It is an untethered jailbreak, meaning you don’t have to connect to a PC every time you reboot.

This marks the end of a long wait for iPad users. iFans eager to liberate their tablets had been holding out longer than for other Apple releases, leading some to wonder whether Cupertino had finally gotten a firm upper-hand in the cat & mouse game with the hackers. While the iPad 2 jailbreak is finally here, the game will start all over again as iOS 5 is officially released this Fall.

Comments

1. Josh Einstein says

The scary thing is the same exploit could easily be used by a malware author with a motive to trash your iPad. How does Apple get away with these repeated vulnerabilities without being branded as Swiss cheese the way Microsoft does. I’ve actually heard bloggers claim that iOS was “secure by design” because of the DRM requirement. iOS has absolutely *zero* security features outside of the code signing which is circumvented on a daily basis.

Anyhow be careful out there. Until Apple patches this, the web is not safe on iOS.

(BTW I remember how awesome it was when I jail broke my iPhone for the first time. But I just did it to my iPad last night and realized there’s not much reason anymore now that multitasking and gestures are native. It just doesn’t really have much appeal on an iPad IMO.)

• Chandler Hall says

Uh, Josh. If you jailbreak your iPad, then you can load the FREE PDF 2 Patch that fixes this exploit that you are so concerned about.

To be frank, without doing any research on your previous posts and other online activities…I think you are a Android fan boy or Apple employee attempting to continue the FUD around jailbreaking. Your statements are dis-ingenious and contradict the very issue you are attempting to use as a scare tactic.

Let’s see. How about this instead:

“Wow. Thanks, Comex for fixing a major security flaw that Apple doesn’t seem to be rushing to fix. And it takes only one ‘click’ and a second to accomplish it. Very easy. I may not bother looking at any other tweaks or applications, but patching this security exploit is important enough to me that I’ll jailbreak it just for that.”

• Josh Einstein says

The reason I am “so concerned about” it is because there’s millions of people out there with unpatched iOS devices that are extremely vulnerable to an exploit that can obviously do severe damage just by clicking a link.

Apparently you also didn’t do any research on my first paragraph or you’d see that I spent it trashing Apple’s pathetic track record on security. I happen to be writing this on a Mac, I own an iPhone and iPad (both of which are jailbroken) and I think Android is garbage. So without doing any research on your previous posts and other online activities, I think you are a moron.

My last paragraph was a general observation that there’s really no benefit to jailbreaking an iPad and little to no benefit to jailbreaking an iPhone. That’s how I see it as I peruse the Cydia store and realize that most of the things that I used to love on there are now built into the OS. And I readily admit that they are only *in* the OS because Cydia developers pioneered them. But for the most part, it’s lost it’s appeal to me.

Sorry I got you all worked up over that.

• William Hilsum says

I could not agree more with what @EinsteinTech:disqus  has said and @3b2fa81799c002ece1efe3a3a84f137f:disqus , I think you have mis understood…. and you come across as a fan boi.

Due to various problems on my Ipad, I needed to take it back (and it was swapped), but, before I did, I figured that I have nothing to loose by Jailbreaking/experimenting.

I visited Jailbreakme.com and after clicking the link and waiting about 10 seconds, A WEBSITE was able to INSTALL an application on to my Ipad without any sort of authorisation what so ever.

Jailbreakme may be honest/do what they say, but, they limit the exploit code to only happen after a button is pressed, and you know what is happening.

I have seen the script involved and there is nothing stopping me from putting it on to a page that will call it the moment the page is loaded instead of on user input.

Now… instead of installing Cydia, what happens if I install an iconless she’ll script that sends out premium rate text messages or … well… you can use your imagination – this exploit can be used to do ANY ios function.

2. Ranolia Maulik says

sometimes i wonder why doesnt apple hire comex….lol after all he is the one who exploits all the security holes and provides solution also….

3. Rubenbuitrago says

my IPad 2 version 4.3.5 won’t let me do it, the free button does not appear and the message: does not supported on your device” shows up. Please help

Ruben

4. Colie says

I had Cydia and instaLlous on my iPad 2 and it disappeared. I tried to download again from jailbrekme.com, but it says it’s not supported ny my device. Please help!?

• Raspameti says

I’ve got ipad 2 on 4.3.5.and still there’s is no jailbreak for that ios yet. Only thing you can do is to wait. Roumors said that dual chip is real nightmare for hackers and that could be the reason for long time no JB.

5. Muelgrub2003 says

How come when I go to jailbreakme.com on my iPad 2 I get a message that I’m not on a supported device and that the jaibreak isn’t available yet?