Gingerbread for HTC ThunderBolt and Droid Incredible Coming in September

Finally, we have something official about the Gingerbread updates for the HTC ThunderBolt and the Droid Incredible. We’re talking official official here, not just from an HTC rep. But from HTC’s Facebook page which has just confirmed that Android 2.3 or some variation of it will be arriving for both of these beautiful phones at some point during the month of September.

One look at the calender reveals that today is August 31st and that means that the countdown for Gingerbread begins tomorrow. Let’s hope that it doesn’t drag on until the end of the month.

The simple statement from HTC finally puts rumors about the HTC ThunderBolt’s Gingerbread status to rest and unfortunately confirms that the Droid Incredible’s update was  delayed but will still be rolling out.

HTC ThunderBolt

Here is the statement for those interested:

We’re pleased to announce that both DROID Incredible and ThunderBolt at Verizon will be receiving an update to Gingerbread in September. Thanks for your support!

Remember, the Droid Incredible’s update was supposedly going to roll out this month but then was delayed because of a bug.

So, how’s it feel to finally have a date ThunderBolt and Incredible owners? Probably feels pretty good.

Comments

1. Aaronth86 says

So if I manually. Updated my dinc to gingerbread 2.3.4 will I not get this update….I knew I have waited!

2. Anonymous says

i cant believe this,me and my friend just got two i-phones for $43.78 each and a $25 gift card for $4the stores want to keep this a secret and they dont tell you go here GrаbPenny.cоm

3. Trgriesel says

This provides no new info. They said it would come out in Q2 which end in September. So we are right back where we started I.want to know an exact day.

4. Xraysweet1 says

Ill believe it when it appears. Thunderbolt is a horrible phone……..software wise . It’s htcs game an there winning… My relatives have HTC EVO from Sprint …no issues ..Verizon shouldn’t have put this out unless thy had the proper software.

• Carolinahookers says

Wow I’ve had every smartphone and thunderbolt is by far fastest and best and their isn’t a big different in 2.2 and gingerbread.. I had both so all you newbies learn about your phones first before crying…

• randy:)cartman says

Dude stop trolling cause you wish you had a thunderbolt. I have had almost every phone ans the thunderbolt was by far the best phone I ever had in terms of software and harware. It’s fast as hell and has no problems. The bat lasts all day unless you watch a movie but that’s expected with any phone. The only issue I ever experienced with the phone was when it was very first released there was a minor sms bug. If I got a message I got the green indicator that showed on the message widget and I would read the message and if I exited out of the message app too quickly the green indicator still was present over the message widget even though I didn’t have any new messages. That was quickly resolved and been bug free since.

On a side note this update did take too long in my opinion but its not really going to do anything. 2.3 is basically the same as 2.2 so I don’t care. I want the vigor and ice cream sandwich please :)

• Krimzn1980 says

I absolutely agree with this point of view 100% I have a t-bolt as well since its inception and the only thing that’s going to make a difference is an updated sense UI but I’m using spb 3d UI and its the s@#$….and yes vigor please plus ice cream would be nice too :)

• Easypick4u says

My issue with my thunderjunk is that I eats battery and worst is it like to randomly restart. This is a replacement thunderjunk and it restarted last night and this morning. Hope gingercrumb fixes it

• Easypick4u says

5. Joeboucher15 says

To little to late. A year after the phone comes out before the front facing camera can even be used? It’s like buying a nice car, but you can’t use the headlights for a year until an upgrade comes out. HTC disappointed on this. Instead of releasing 20 more newer models all over the place, they should have worked on the one’s they had. I’m going back to Iphone when the 5 comes out.

• Chester629 says

What?  You’re inplying the phone can’t be used properly b/c it doesn’t have GB?  Yeah…I think it is a better move for you to go back to the iPhone.  Clearly you’re better off having someone else tell you what to do/think.

The Tbolt is sweet as is.  I too have been through just about every Droid, and the TBolt is insane fast.  The bat sucks, or at least I have issues and can’t get through a day on a single charge, but its a price to pay for a such a speedy device.  Understood HTC Sense is an aquired taste, but I like it and its the smoothest android UI out there.

• randy:)cartman says

Lol another troll. Go back to iPhone then no one here cares about you dude or your decisions. You act like thunderbolt is a fail cause you can’t use the front facing camera lol. Every phone has their quirks and the iPhone has A LOT. Only native apps run in background, the phone can’t be rooted you have to illegally jail break it lol, the phone is on lock down by Apple (hence the term jail break Haha). I phone is just a wanna be phone made to look nice. The reason it sells is because my 8 year old retarded cousin could pick it up and use it and its a flashy looking phone. Looks sell that phone. Most people who buy that phone don’t know the difference between a single and dual core CPU.

• randy:)cartman says

Oh and I don’t care about Skype or video calls. I dont want people watching me when I’m trying to lie to them saying I’m just hanging at my house tonight when I’m at the bar or something lol. I bet most people agree. I can see using it if your like in another country or something maybe. But I guess you need to have phone sex with your internet gf lol.

• guest says

Apparently you have no life and don’t think much further than when you’re gonna get sex.  I have family in other states and the whole reason we got the Bolt was to use the front facing camera.  Video calls have not worked on any of the so-called “great” apps.  Every single one of them has issues from no sound to horrible feedback.  Skype is the only thing that’s worked.

• Guitartripp says

ummm…yahoo messenger with video has worked since the day the HTC Thunderbolt came out…

• randy:)cartman says

Apparently you can’t read dummy because I said I could understand if someone was in another country or something implying that people were separated over a distance and wanted to.see each other. Learn how to read properly before you bash someone for something that they agreed with you about. But again if the camera on the front of the phone “doesn’t work” in quotes it doesn’t ruin the phone. If you think it does your pretty selfish in life then is what that indicates.

• UgbamAman23 says

Had an issue with my front facing camera too buddy…but pretty easy to fix. Go into settings, application, manage apps, all apps tab, scroll down to camera and click clear cache and clear data. Try it then. If still doesn’t work reset once. Try it. If still not working factory reset…if you finally still can’t get it to work…go in and use your one year manufactured warranty… No biggie. Just don’t expect that from an iPhone…90 days minimum… :/

• wblconstruction# says

I have the thunder and video chat all the time with tango on 3g 4g and wifi they alol work great with the app tango try that maybe you just got a bad phone it happens with all of them the iphone sucks because of the lockdown apple has on it i would def. recommend you looking at a different android phone that will meet your needs better instead of the iphone but androids not for everyone good luck with whatever you decide

• Dfancygirl says

Um…my front facing camera has always worked…on Skype, tango, yahoo video, etc. Maybe your problem is user error…

• Dfancygirl says

6. timraines says

As an extremely disappointed Thunderbolt owner, I can tell you the bottom line HTC and Verizon need to learn from this debacle: Promise less….Deliver more.

7. Joeboucher15 says

Hey Randy, at least your 8 year old retarded cousin has a phone that works. If your Thunderbolt had a working front facing camera, he would see how retarded you are!!

• randy:)cartman says

Lol go troll somewhere else and us thunderbolt owners know how jealous you I phone users are. It’s obvious from your trolling :). Your retarded for even thinking I have a retarded cousin lol. It was a figure of speech as my text implies from my previous post. Are you even old enough to post things on the internet because you seem pretty young and most likely not very bright for thinking I had a retarded cousin hahaha. This is for grown ups that have real phones like Thunderbolts not toy phones like your I phone.

8. Matt Clark says

A couple things…. The front facing camera has worked the entire time?  Also, GB doesn’t come with Sense 3.0, we’ll still be on the same HTC Sense we have now, just the OS is changing.

9. Matt Clark says

• Erictingler says

All I really want is the sense 3.0. I really want that unlock screen. These phone company’s rape us so hard sometimes. Once they have you on the line they laugh and tell you all the things they promised were lies. But I do love the thunderbolt 8). I love apple but the iPhone really is just about the looks. I traded my iPhone 4 for my thunderbolt and wouldn’t go back if you payed me. But Oooo how I love my imac lol.

• Anonymous says

Yo… go to the app market and download an app called “Widget Locker.” Try the free version first. I swear to you that it has the sweetest unlock screen that you’ve ever seen. I hope that satiates your hunger for the widely sought SENSE 3.0 unlock. Peace!!

• Anonymous says

• Anonymous says

10. Jsibdj says

Not a damn thing wrong with my TB. Faster than a Kardashian mom whoring her daughter out for quick cash.

11. Charlie says

Froyo fan here! I won’t upgrade to Gingerbread when it’s released. Froyo is leaner and less of everything we don’t want.

12. Joeboucher15 says

HTC is turning into PALM. Let’s release a phone and promote it as the best thing ever. Instead of supporting it and updating it, lets just release another phone with the features the last phone needed and force those idiots to buy another phone.

13. Rondonkulous says

I remember having the update issues with the cliq. when we finally got 1.6 everyone else was running 2.0 and 2.2 was starting to roll out when 2.1 was released…. that’s why I just went with the new EVO… I am happy with it although the Bionic looks amazing!

14. Jason says

If the new software isn’t out by the last day of Q3, how about everyone who is disappointed goes into a verizon store and punches an employee in the face once a day until they release the new software?

15. Kd6sxa says

IIt’s all bull crap until it actually gets here. I have read so many times that gingerbread will be rolling out soon.

16. Djbfj says

Oh my god I can’t believe it I got an iPhone and they included a free car just so I could listen to my tunes just go to shutdfuk.com and they’ll hook u up.