iOS 5 Release Date and What to Expect from iOS 5

iOS 5 is the next mobile operating system for Apple’s iPhone, iPod and iPad devices. Announced this summer at WWDC, the software has been in beta testing for the past several months, and is due for a fall release, which we expect to come close to the iPhone 5 release date.

(Read: 5 Things to do Before You Upgrade to iOS 5)

IOS 5 brings a collection of new features, and should give users who are unable to upgrade to the new iPhone a taste of something new that will tide them over, hopefully until the next iPhone arrives or their contract expires.

(UPDATE : iOS 5 Release Date Confirmed as Oct 12th – Details)

After using the iOS 5 beta fer several months, the staff at GottaBeMobile is excited to have the finished product, even those of us who will load it onto an iPhone 3GS.

iOS 5 Release Date

Apple has only given “fall” as an iOS 5 release date, which leaves anytime between September 23rd and December 22nd. The good news is that we don’t expect to wait until December. We had heard previously that iOS 5 would be released on October 10th, which is a possibility given the rumored October 13th iPhone 5 release date.

The actual iOS 5 release date is October 12th. Apple typically releases the update between 9 and 10 AM Pacific (12 to 1 Eastern).

In the past, Apple has released the new versions of iOS a few days ahead of the new hardware, a tradition we expect to hold true even with the off the wall iPhone 4S release of 2011.

Apple releases iOS 5 early so that any support issues from users who have issues upgrading can be worked out with customer service before a slew of activations and first time iPhone owners need assistance.

iOS 3 was released on June 17th, two days ahead of the iPhone 3GS, and iOS 4 was released on June 21st, three days before the iPhone 4.

(Read: iPhone 5 Rumor Roundup: Latest on Hardware, Release Date, Carriers)

iOS 5 Features

iOS 5 brings over 200 new features to your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Unlike software updates that come every week, fixing bugs, iOS 5 brings a collection of new features that bring your iPhone and iPad into a new realm.

The Top Ten iOS 5 Features include;

1. Notification Center – A newer, better way to get notifications for emails, texts and from apps.
  2. NewsStand – All of your newspaper and magazine subscriptions in one place (if the apps support it).
  3. Twitter Integration – If you love Twitter you’ll be able to interact with it faster and easier in iOS 5.
  4. Safari – Better browsing thanks to tabs on the iPhone and iPad and the ability to sync your reading list between all of your Safari browsers.
  5. Reminders – Apple’s new task app to help you track and complete your to do lists.
  6. Better Camera – You can finally use the volume buttons to take pictures in iOS 5. You can also pinch to zoom and tap to focus on a particular area
  7. New Mail App – Richer formatting, message flagging, improved search and more.
  8. PC Free – After you plug in to get iOS 5, you won’t need a computer on hand for upgrades or for activations.
  9. Game Center - Add photos, play friends of friends and more with these new iOS 5 Game Center features.
  10. iMesssage – send messages to all of your iOS 5 using friends without paying for text message fees. You can also send, photos and videos over iMessage.
iPad iOS 5 Features

iPad iOS 5 split keyboard

The new iOS 5 split keyboard for the iPad

Another nice feature is the new split keyboard in iOS 5 for the iPad. This allows you to move the keyboard anywhere you want on the screen, and splits it in half so that you can type with your thumbs. This works across all apps. We’ve seen similar keyboards on Android tablets, but by making this part of the default OS, Apple will deliver the feature to more users. This is in addition to a number of cool iOS 5 features for the iPad 2.

iCloud and iTunes Match

When iOS 5 launches, we also expect Apple to launch iCloud and iTunes Match. iCloud will being a host of great features to the iPhone and iPad including the ability to keep your digital life in sync across Apple devices. Here’s what iCloud means to the average user. Some of our favorites are the ability to download past iTunes purchases and download previously purchased apps easily.

As part of this, iTunes Match will allow you to keep all of your music in the cloud for $24.99 a year. This is nice if you have an older collection of music in less than perfect formats. iTunes Match may allow you to stream the music without downloading it.

iOS 5 speech to text

iOS 5 brings iOS 5 speech to text

Voice Control

On top of all of this, we expect to see better voice control in iOS 5 thanks to Nuance technology. This could make speech to text an integrated way to use the iPhone and iPad.

We’ve seen images showing that there might be a microphone button on the keyboard, like on Android, which allows you to enter text by talking anywhere there is a text box on your iPhone or iPad.

Other Features

Other notable iOS 5 features include the ability to set custom vibration patterns for calls, texts, emails and notifications. This will allow you to distinguish between notifications without taking the phone out of your pocket.

You can also use custom keyboard shortcuts to speed up typing on your iPhone or iPad. For example, you could make “See you soon, almost home”, as easy as typing SeeYou. Or, if you write here, you can make “ird” equal iPhone 5 release date. You have full  control over these shortcuts which is a nice add-on for Apple.

Which iPhones, iPads and iPods will run iOS 5?

Apple’s iOS 5 will be available for the majority of Apple’s iOS devices. This is a free upgrade. The following Apple devices will get iOS 5.

• iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4
  • iPad
  • iPad 2
  • iPod Touch 3rd and 4th Generation

Surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS is able to run iOS 5 pretty well, as you can see in this video below.

iOS 5 Upgrade

After Apple releases iOS 5, typically around 9 AM Pacific/12 PM Eastern, you will need to connect your iPhone or iPad to the computer to begin the upgrade process. It should happen rather effortlessly. Keep in mind that the downloads may go very slow on the iOS 5 release date. With this in mind, don’t start this at work at the end of the day, or while you might have to run out and take your iPhone with you.

We’ll have more detailed instructions as the iOS 5 release approaches.

Comments

1. Benshekvand says

I love my IPhone 4 and don’t use my lap top anymore. Is Apple coming up with bigger screen and keyboard or virtual screen and keyboard soon?

• Adam Truelove says

Wouldn’t have it just been easier for Apple to compose a new feature list that went something like this:
      1. Lots of stuff that Android has been doing for a while, except Navigation.

• memetroll says

Uh, Andriod is really “lots of stuff apple has been doing for a while”.  Like, the entire touchscreen smartphone idea.

• guest says

Touchscreen smartphones have been around way longer than the iPhone….first one came out back in 2000, seven years before the iPhone did. My first touch screen smartphone was an (HTC) Cingular 8125 back in 2006…also before the iPhone came out. Apple just was the first one to make it appeal to the masses by making it simple, easy to use, and marketing it really well.

• Dereknovoa says

Dood saying something like that makes you sound like a clown… Android exsists because of iPhone and iOS. Android is pretty awesome but they’ve technically been biting apples iOS for a few years now. Apple wins, yet again… As always. Boom.

• Anthony says

Except Android stole it’s entire interface from SPB Shell for Windows Mobile 6 which came out a year before Android. Down to the moveable widgets and everything.

• Zac Gawn says

It would have been easier still for Apple to compose a new feature list that went something like this:lots of stuff Jailbreaking has offered since pre IOS4-days

• DD says

So much agree. 1 update is Notification Center? I had that on the OG Droid. If you want to sit in the Apple box and get ass raped by Steve Jobs’ ghost that’s fine. I will simply not be getting an iPhone 5

• Vanmali9 says

OK, you’ll be missin out on the phone of the year that’ll take over the network and phone industry. SPRINT, AT&T, VERIZON. All of that combines for total domination and total Android as* raping

2. Flux-Net says

it either my screen or there is a typo near the bottom where there are talking about what devices it well support and it says IOS 65 “apple’s iOS 65 will be available for the majority of Apple’s iOS devices.”

• hellokitty says

If the iphone never came out, what would the Android phones look like? Just because android was inspired by the iphone does mean you Droid androids fan bots should act like a bunch of fools.

• elZilcho says

I see a bunch of complaining but no denials from the sheeple.  Android was built to address a lot of problems with ios devices, so it’s only natural that Apple would copy some of those solutions back to ios from android.  Nothing to start crying over.  Unless deep down inside you’re ashamed that you’re still sucking at Apple’s teet while the rest of us are onto solid foods.

3. Djms says

You bunch of tossers android is taking over the phone market, better apps and better usability. Half of iOS 5 is android based.

• Vanmali9 says

Your an idiot, Apple came first, if there was no apple than there wouldnt be an android. Plus IOS owns the largest majority of the market, they get the BEST APPS first, and your shi* as* OS is so DAM* laggy!

• Chowmoma says

Let’s be honest here android is taking over the Market…..only cus it on lots of different phones, but if u consider apple is one company and still leading against big companies (that have been selling phones for years)

“You bunch of tossers android is taking over the phone market” It funny cus I read that 80% of tablets in use are iPads……I use android phone and it’s good for freedom. E.g free psp on my phone, but there alot of scammers on droid too

• Dylanmichaelxd says

Your fucking dumb I’ve had several android phones and all the god damn apps suck rhino cock!
      All trashy ass google third party apps.
      Apple actually takes the time to review the apps and approve them and make sure they are nice and well produced to he on the market.

Android can suck my big fat cheese wheel for all I care.

4. Jean123457 says

The major difference between an apple fanboy and a fandroid is that fandroids are paid marketting agents.

5. Davidreasey says

If you andriod assholes like your OS so much, then what the hell are you doing here reading about apple IOS 5.0? And for the record iPhone came out long before ( 7-07 ) any of your shity andriod OS smartphones. All things andriod are just watered down copies of apples superior technology. Iphone release dates are highly anticipated and continue to break record launch day sales. Like the iPhone 4, 1,500,000 units sold the first day. Apple has already ordered 25,000,000 iPhone 5′s for it’s release and you can bet your ass that they will go quick. Can’t say that about anything andriod now can you. And the driod bionic, well I didn’t even know it was coming out and no one else did either. Who gives a shit. All anybody cares about is when the iPhone 5 comes out. Andriod, get over yourself. Apple always has and always will be a superior product. Oh yeah, and for the guy who said andriod apps are better, well no wonder andriod viruses, mall ware and spy ware are up 76%. it is called open source. Try paying your fucking app designers and quit with the third party bullshit and maybe you won’t have that. Then again, you could do like you always do and Copy Apple and go close source. That’s right your companies CEO doesn’t believe in closed source, he wants to be able to read your email and profile a market for you. Let’s face it, Apple IOS is a more mature more stable web OS than anything else out there.

• Chowhound says

Davidreasey, you’re not the a$$hole your mom raised you to be, but it’s more like that of a doucheb@g. You see, Android smartphones are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better than iPhone’s and believe it or not, they can actually make phone calls where an iPhone cannot which is the sole purpose of buying a phone in the first place.

And yes, this post is starting to smell like sh!t once more for you have decided once again to start talking out of your a$$.

• Hiddenjelly says

gotta say that at least us apple fans back up our cases with FACT rather than ‘Android is better’ without an excuse. Apple has a very dedicated group of followers who will always be loyal because of GREAT customer service and a GREAT original product. I can go into any apple store with a run down phone and get a charge whilst I wait or whilst I go shopping, and it’s free. can’t say that about android devices that is just a generic product built on to many different phones…

• Bnau says

Well stated! I too am intensely impressed by Apple Corp,s amazing and flawlessly operating technology. This IPad is incredible

• D.D says

Whoa dude. I scanned that whole thing and the only sentence that really popped out was “If Apple had a dick, I couldn’t get my ass there fast enough.” Open source for life.

• PerKr says

Wow..! Thats almost religious..! Just got an Ipad. My phone runs Android, and when I now use Ipad there is a lot of features that I just can’t find here.. The keyboard is actually really bad if I compare it to the one on my telephone… Like Caps Lock.. I just can’t find it.. For Apple’s sake I hope I find it in here, cus always hit shift when I’m writing uppercase is really annoying..! It really is a sweet device though – the hardware is neat and designed properly. That is the main area where Apple win. Well, Android doesn’t make hardware anyway, so that is not their fault… What I also do not like is this jail of control and limitations. I do not want to use a whole lot of money, just because I won an Ipad.. Still they want my credit card number, they crave my identity and they force themselves into my computer… That just is not the way to approach a skeptic… Luckily there is good people working with jailbraking, so I really look foreward to iOS 5 so that I can get a jailbrake that work for me. It was not possible at 4.3.5, but they work on it for iOS 5, so thats gonna be awesome!

• randomdude says

double tap shift dude, it turns blue if you enabled caps lock through the settings…

• Ddee63x says

In case you didn’t know, you can have an iTunes account without using a credit card. This enables children and some people to download free apps from Apple.

• Louis says

The iPhone 5 hasn’t been announced yet, it’s still only rumors so how do u know that they apparently shipped 25m units?? Oh wait, sorry…u said ordered. Yeah that makes sense that apple order their own phone!
      Oh and ps
      Ur a faggot…apple gayboy

• Louis says

Oh and ps
      Ur a faggot…apple gayboy

• Louis says

Oh and ps
      Ur a faggot…apple gayboy

6. Fujamusprime says

Haaaaaahahahahahahaaa.

I can’t believe that you people take this stuff so seriously!!!

I couldn’t give a toss what phone or OS other people are using. I’ll give you an analogy to make it simple to see what you’re like:

Person A: Mmmmmmm this tangerine is lovely.
    Person B: You’re a f***ing idiot. Tangerines are for losers. Bananas are sooooo much better!!
    Person A: You can shove your bananas up your arse! Tangerines have been around for longer, and I have sworn loyalty to the Tangerine Overlord
    Person B: The Emperor of Bananas would kick your overlord’s face in!!

…and so on and so on…

• iOS user says

Well put. I use an iPhone because it suits my needs. I have friends who use Android and I have never once called them names or gotten into a fight over it. Why would I (or anyone else for that matter)?

I couldn’t care less what the next person uses or who copies who. In the end they obviously put out products that suit their customers’ needs.

Lastly, if you (Android users) are so loyal, why are you reading about and commenting on Apples’ new iOS?

• It doesn't matter! says

Winning an argument online is like winning in the special Olympics. No matter what…you’re still retarded.

It all comes down to a matter of opinion. It’s apples and freaking oranges people. Both android and apples iOS have their places. Apple is known for making user friendly devices…while android is targeted more towards the tech savvy. In the end tho…it really doesnt matter.

Now let the arguing begin about my mildly offensive joke.

• Fujamusprime says

I thought about using apples and oranges, but didn’t want anyone accusing me of favouring apple…

…and the special Olympics joke is inspired!

• Guest says

there is glory in winning the special Olympics, and i respect those that participate. there is no shame in being retarded, and i abhor those that think any less of those that are.

i really dont advise the use of that popular rhetoric when commenting on online arguments. it speaks a lot about the person saying it. i dont see the funny in it either.

7. DR says

In response to It doesn’t matter! for the Special Olympics comments.   First of all, there is nothing mild about your comments, it’s offensive and you meant it to be.   You attempted to make a joke to make a point and failed on both occasions.    I promise you if you are ever lucky enough to become a parent or relative of a child who participates in Special Olympics (of which I am), you won’t be making comments like you did.    The same goes to Fujamusprime.   I encourage both of you to pay a visit to a local Special Olympics activity and I promise you will walk away thinking differently.

• Guest1 says

It probably wasn’t the best choice of words…but the point still stands. This whole argument is pointless.

• I  iPhone says

The is a similarity between iPhone and Android phones. The iPhone is Disneyland (Florida) and the Android is Euro-Disney (France) being a cheaper, less exciting, rubbish wannabe of the iPhone. Android cannot compete with iPhone at all and Abdroid can lick my sweaty ball sack!!!!! Long Live iPhone!!!!!

• Guest says

Dear Mr. Sweaty Ball Sack - For starters Disney World
          is located in Florida.  Disneyland is located in California.  If you
          are going to do a comparison try to get the facts straight.  I was an
          Android user before switching to the iphone and I have fond memories of Droid
          experience however, the iphone better suits my needs.   Long live
          both devices!!

8. DR says

9. Eitan Levy says

As a visually impaired iPad user I’m most excited about the ‘speak selection’ feature in the accessibility options. Waiting eagerly.

• Grandma Jenkins says

My grandson got me one of those devices for my birthday a few years back.  It is very useful when i need to call the ambulance to pick me up off the floor when i fall down.

10. Guest says

I have a droid incredible, and an iPad 2. One isn’t better than the other. The droid that I have is very similar to an iPhone. I use my android as a smartphone, and the iPad as a tablet PC. They’re like two parts of the same thing. If I can’t get something on my droid, I get it on my iPad, and if I can’t get something on the iPad, I get it on the droid. So I support both of them, and I don’t agree that one is better than the other. But I am looking forward to when iOS 5 comes out.

• Pixelmasochist says

Agreed!

I bought the iPad simply for audio creation on the move. ‘Droid doesn’t seem to cut it in that department. Only issue I have with the iPad is complete lack of an inter-process storage point.

After getting to grips with some of the most fantastic audio software, I noticed that the iPad has the ability to edit HTML and the like. There are also some mighty fine image construction apps available. The problem presents itself when you have to use an external system to get all these parts in the same place. If Apple truly want to sever the iPads dependancy on a destop/laptop they need to come up with a very good file management system that does not rely on iCloud, dropbox or iTunes!

11. Anonymous says

Tired.tired.tired.tired. Of waiting for ios5 n iph5.
    If they don’t deliver the goods properly I guess apple would take a bit hit post Steve jobs

12. Spike2400 says

I had a Droid and I now have an iPhone 4. I like my iPhone so much better. I have a friend that had an iPhone and went to a Droid and hates ever doing so. I do agree that there are some apps that one has and the other doesn’t and vice versa. Thus one of the reasons that I want a Droid tablet. In saying so I am extremely excited and anxious for the iOS 5 release.

13. Droboy420! says

wut the fuck chuck! y iz everyone arguing about how apple iz better than andoid or how android has “stolen from apples ideas”? le seriously..there 2 different companies tht hav alot n common..its kinda the same things except different electronics! i would like to c u guys go nd make ur own software without usin one of apples ideas or andoids ideas..cant b done..i agree tht aplle iz taken androids notification center..but thts jus about it

• Guest says

*What
      *Chuck
      *Why
      *is(3 times)
      *”stolen from apples ideas” incorrect fragment. Consider revising.
      *they’re
      *apple
      *taking
      *that’s
      *just

14. Johnsonlongman says

Scetna:
    With this new upgrade of iOS 5,, i have  to be connected to your iPhone, iPad and i am personally very happy with this upgrade, which  helps  to remove bugs and many other features as well. Just wanted to share this,recently i came across a very nice puzzle game known as Apple Life, its a free game especially for kids,, can only be played on ipad. For more information visit the appstore link:http://itunes.apple.com/in/app/apple-life/id463407836?mt=8

• o2or4 says

well.  I think now this topic become android vs apple and only time will tell which one win. Very funny read this topic. lol

15. tralala says

I support both android and apple. The only problem with apple is their restrictions. What restrictions you might ask? Bluetooth file transfer. Apple must not like sharing that much. Good thing about apple, up to date technology. Androids turn. Bad things about android, open source leads to viruses. Good thing about it is UI. I love their UI

• kirbo14 says

WRONG! There is no iPhone 5. It is called the iPhone 4S and the only advances over the iPhone 4 is that it comes with iOS 5, has a 8-megapixel camera and an A5 chip, the same thats in the iPad 2. There is no major updates. It even looks like the older iPhone 4. The iPhone 4S is merely a stepping stone between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 which may come out next year or the year after. You also have the dates wrong, iOS 5 comes out on the 10th and the iPhone 4S comes out on the 13th.

• NinoNegrino says

it will also feature a dual-core processor and Siri technology. it is technically a 5th generation iPhone, they are just calling it “4S.” the hardware is different though it looks the same externally (better camera, processor, chip). the rest is true though, re: release dates, appearance, and other features.

16. [email protected] says

This is like politics, its simple , apple has better graphics better realistic gaming, FAR SUPERIOR BATTERY LIFE, BY A LARGE MARGIN.
    QUALITY BUILT PRODUCT .
    DOWNFALL, THEY ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY , IT’S LIKE PURE COMMUNISM WITH THEY’RE RESTRICTIONS THEY’RE THEY’RE SECRET WAYS TO SCREW UP JAILBREAKS WITH EVERY NEW UPDATE,AND THEY’RE ITUNES IS THE REASON. ANYTHING U WANNA DO TO AN IDEVICE HAS TO BE DONE THRU THEM,

UPSIDE TO ANDROID WELL.. YOU CAN DO WHAT YA WANT WHEN YA WANT,”HACK,CUSTOMIZE: ROMS , ETC… NO STOPING YOU THERE, IF ANDROID USED AN ITUNES ALIKE TO UPGRADE ROMS WE WOULD BE JUST LIKE APPLE.

ANDROID FOR CELLULAR USE
    APPLE FOR GAMING
    BOTH ARE EQUAL IN THERE OWN WAYS
    END OF STORY

• Lucky-Rudy says

Windows 7 pad is awesome multi app device that runs full Applications – not stripped down useless $ wasters like disappointing iMovie etc.

17. Swedishdonkeyboy says

Its such a shame that there is so much iPhone hate in the world, I have both devices at home .
    I have iPhone 4 32gb and ipad2 3G 32 gb also a motorola xoom 32 gb for my wife.
    My personal experience is that iPhone and iPad is way more easier to use than android and that you just don’t have to be a technical nerd to understand what you have to do with it.
    Android is fun to in his own way, you got a lot off apps but not so much useful apps.
    There are apps both for the android and apple market but when it’s about games apple is a bit faster in updates and that kind of stuff.
    The second thing why I personally prefer apple is that al the applications works in harmony with each other, problem with android is that there are so many different devices and that not every update fits to a sertain device. For example this new ios5 that’s coming fits even for the iPhone 3 gs.
    My wife had a samsung galaxy with 1.5 cupcake and she never received a update.
    Also we had much problems with different homes from android that you could download that crashes or stop working. On the other hand android is much more fun if you like to personalise your device, and you never need a mothership to start your device but if I understand wil this issue be solved after the next update I’m really looking forward to it.

18. Healy Tyler83 says

Are iPhone 4 users going to get the personal assistant with the iOS 5, or is that only for the iPhone 4s? Are there any apps out there that work like that personal assistant, I find that pretty cool.

• mika says

nope, Siri is native to 4S unfortunately…not sure about an app for it though, worth looking into!

19. Healy Tyler83 says

I had a droid x for 3 days, I can’t say I hated it, but it wasn’t very user friendly. I’ll admit that there was some cool features to the droid, but apple products are user friendly plus if something goes wrong with your iPhone or iPad there is a store in town with people who are trained to know how to fix the issue. I just wish that the iPhone could use Skype and iPad works with flash, but I heard that most webpages are going away from flash I don’t know if that is true or not but it’s nice thinking. As for the iPhone haters, we all have likes and dislikes and that why we live in America where we can voice our opinions. I used to be a apple hater then I bought a MacBook pro and within 2 months I had an iPod, iPad and iPhone…plus apple tv. The intergration between all products is seamless.

• YahooUser says

If for no other reason than the iPhone/iPad don’t support it, people are looking for alternatives to Flash – mostly HTML5. That being said, for people who know Flash and don’t want to change, there’s no requirement to change. It is very frustrating not being able to view Flash sites. It will come eventually, but instead of everyone working on a solution, people are pressing and fighting. It will take longer than necessary.

20. guest says

wouldnt iOS and Android have a lot of the same things in common and a lot of the same things since they both do the exact same thing as each other?

21. Austin1917 says

i have had multiple iphones and multiple androids, and its good to see that apple is finally putting some of the stuff i switched over to android for, iphone is great, but for me, its incredibly boring after a month or two of using it. you cant change anything on it, i like being able to have a song for a text ringtone, or for the text to vibrate without having to have the whole phone on silent, android just seems to have a lot more options that makes the phone your own and the iphone is just a clone of everyone else’s. (iphone 3g, and 3gs, atrix 4, infuse 4g, captivate, and nexus s.

22. Musky says

You guys are all dumb bastards! It don’t make a damn bit of difference to anyone wether you like Android or Apple better. It’s all a matter of OPINION, and personal preference. It’s not something to start Armageddon over! However if your a liberal you love Apple, but if your smart and conservative, and enjoy your God given liberties!!! You’ll buy a Android.

• Redtattoo23 says

It’s funny I have a iPhone 4 and half the people I work with have some kind of android phone and they all say the same thing I want an iPhone. they all have problems with their phone asking me if they can use mine.simply put android phones are garbage it’s nothing but a copy and cheap rip off of apple technology.sorry to say

23. Errol_iglesias80 says

I am speechless about this software it’s the future everything is in one gadget and sync is now wireless, I don’t know what to say. Astig!

24. Dude48888 says

Look at the image for the split keyboard and read what the website says! trollolololololol