HTC ThunderBolt Gingerbread Update Now Available

Well folks, the wait is finally over – just like we said it would be – and those of you out there with the HTC ThunderBolt can now go into your Settings and pull the Gingerbread update for download. That’s right. This isn’t an OTA. You can manually pull it this very moment and finally put the months long nightmare to an end. That is, unless the software decided to bring some nasty bugs along with it.

The update is not the latest version of Gingerbread, which is Android 2.3.6, instead, it’s Android 2.3.4. I don’t think that’s going to matter to those of you out there that have been waiting through all of the months and rumors that have gotten us to this point.

HTC ThunderBolt

If you’re in possession of an ThunderBolt, go into your Settings, Software Update and then Check New and you should be prompted to download the the upgrade.

Be sure to let us know how the software handles.

And we’ll be sure to give you our thoughts in the coming days.

Comments

• Lemmy_Caution says

Be sure that you are wearing a dark suit – white shirt no tie. That’s what I was wearing when I downloaded mine… :-)  Reboot your phone – Shutdown all the way and start up again. It should find the update – not sure if they’re rolling it out regionally, by number or what (Socal – downloaded early this morning). Try to do it in 4G – 3G is really slow.

1. AirJordanMMIX says

it is there because my friend have this phone and i told him to check, then he told me that he got it

2. Nbarr17 says

Checking it out now. Too early to tell how its working. I’ve noticed a few things I like and some I don’t yet.

• Anonymous says

Updates fine over 4G. I had no problems updating my Thunderbolt using LTE.  Maybe your in a bad area.  I’m in the Baltimore metro area.

3. Imarine44 says

Downloaded from SoCal just fine, everything seems to be working fine. The size of the OTA is about 147mb so it’ll take a minute. Data connectivity is better.

4. Scott Bliss says

Google Talk video chat works, but it only uses my rear-facing camera….can’t find out how to switch it

5. Tylerh2634 says

I had download this morning it failed server unavailable so now when I go to check new software it says none available anyone know how to get it back please help

• Boo Radley says

Same here….started downloading at 7:45 …  it failed then when trying again I got server unavailable, then by 8:00 it was displaying “No New Software Update Available”

• Boo Radley says

6. Ljd-80 says

LOL…i downloaded the update this morning. Besides some minor changes with the status bar and the icons are slightly different, I can’t notice any difference……oh well. My wife’s Droid X has better updates from her Gingerbread upgrade…………it’s just funny because of so much anticipation from Thunderbolt owners….and now…….ehh?!

7. Alehtola says

I am having trouble with customizable ringtones. Now I have to try and figure out why.

8. Bitmonkey1084 says

I installed this morning in michigan. There is no customizable dock, that I can see . It messed up my scenes settings and icons. a few minor improvements but that’s about it.

9. Dave in Boston says

Just Downloaded in Boston.  I just hope the improved data connectivity that Verizon is trumping becomes a reality with this update!

10. Jdoeh1234 says

I had this downloaded last night around 10pm mountain time. The update is a real disappointment. No major changes really. It looks they did as little as possible for this update with regards to UI. And I have read that there are already some frustrating issues.

11. Eplafferty says

Disappointed. I mean if you’re going to shove an outdated version of gingerbread at us, at least snaz up the UI instead of just tweaking the boring sense 2.1. I have yet to find out how to change dock icons like Verizon update pdf says you can besides changing scenes. As for the rest…we’ll see…

• Drew says

Easy fix for non-configurable dock shortcuts…Launcher Pro!

Been using this very stable and excellent replacement launcher/homescreen for over a year with several different Android phones and it is the BEST out there!

And for HTC owners…it really seems to be fashioned as an excellent replacement for HTC sense widgets like ‘friends’, ‘people’, ‘calendar’, etc.  as wells as pinch to preview all of your homescreens just like HTC sense.

Can’t understand why HTC and the rest of these phone manufacturers can’t figure out that customers want maximum flexibility and customizability with their phones but thank goodness for a few very good 3rd party software programmers like the guy behind Launcher Pro!

Drew
      Boston, Ma.

12. LTabs says

This may sound ridiculous, but I was really looking forward to Gtalk video.  For some reason I thought or heard that we’d get that.  Doesn’t appear to be updated.  GRRR…

13. momchis1981 says

This MECHA software sucks!! I’m still running HTC Sense 2.1 I don’t see a difference…

14. Kmd45heels says

I started the update and halfway thru my battery died (good old bolt) now after a charge when I try the update again, I get an update failed and or no updates available.

15. Eestubbs104 says

I did do the download without any problems, but afterwards, I have suffered one web page didn’t load. One connection to 1X (what’s up with that), and still no 4G connection. But my phone does seem at tab faster when connected to 3G. Umm, I wonder if I have video conferencing.

16. Woodsanta says

downloaded this am. Everything is working fine.  Doesn’t look like they completely fixed the “reboot” problem but at least it is faster and “reboots” less often.

17. Sadman says

A lot of the problems that everyone here is talking about is a gingerbread problem and a hardware problem with the phone. That is why I rooted my phone and I now run the latest gingerbread  with 3.0 sense and also gingerbread with 3.5 sense is available. There is a lot of developers that have been working on this phone for months and have made fixes for most of the problems. The VVM has never been cured and you have to use google VVM or you mail. Now we’ll see just how fast they come out with updates for the problems with their release of gingerbread.

18. Dolfandon says

Well I have rebooted, removed battery, and checked every 5 minutes for 2 days now and still no update. Anybody know anything about the update in DC Metro area for Verizon?

19. Dolfandon says

20. Dolfandon says

21. Dolfandon says

22. Pub says

No idea from here. I try and get the msg there is no update. I’m in FL. Still running 2.2.1.

23. Dlacio84 says

My mom said she got an update on her droid x today I just checked my thunderbolt and still says 2.2.1 no new software. Is there another way to maybe flash it.

• Sadman says

There was a lot of problems with the update and I’m sure until they get them figured out they probably won’t put it out again. If you are really interested to do it yourself you can go to Android Police and they have the link for you to download. But if you install this understand it is in no way a perfect update and you will have some problems.

24. Nmsengineer says

Downloaded last night!! I run Launcher Pro on my HTC TB and it keeps reverting back to the default launcher. Had to install Home Switcher…

25. HelKell says

Check New does nothing, doesn’t find gingerbread update. Not sure what to do. Software status is blank and reclicking check new is not doing anything. It says its checking for updates but then that mesage disappears. How can I get the phone to recognize the update? Thanks.

• Sadman says

This update as with the last GB update there is a number of people that are having problems and Verizon may ha ve very well pulled this update as they did with the last one until the problems are ironed out.

• Sadman says

Your just going to have to wait. Hopefully when they release the next update they will have figured out the problems and fixed everything. (Keep your fingers crossed)