iOS 5 Release Date Confirmed to Be October 12th

Apple has confirmed that its latest and greatest piece of mobile software, iOS 5, will start rolling out to current iDevice users, of certain varieties, on October 12th. That’s right, we finally have a concrete release date for iOS 5, months after Apple announced the software at WWDC 2011.

(Read: 5 Things to do Before You Upgrade to iOS 5)

Best of all, the software is going to be a free upgrade, but it will only be hitting certain phones.

Now, as expected, there are some phones left out here, chief among them, iPhones that came out prior to the release of Apple’s iPhone 3GS. So, if you’re still the proud owner of an iPhone 3G or iPhone 2G, you will not be able to get this update.

iOS 5

The good news is that if you own an iPhone 3GS, you will see iOS 5 arrive on October 12th along with those who own an iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad, iPad touch 3rd generation and iPod touch 4th generation.

iOS 5 is going to be launching with a host of new features including something Apple is calling ‘Cards‘, which the company just announced today.

Comments

1. iPhone 4S says

Oct 12th, will the new iPhone be available from the 12th instead of the 14th Oct? Id think they would want iOS5 on the new handset instead of offering as an upgrade

2. iPhone 4S says

• Na says

Hello! Should I buy the Ipad 2 after the upgrade (october 12) or do you think I can buy this week and do the upgrade myself?

• Vampyratexd says

You can do the update on your own… itunes will download it for you with the next release. I’m actually willing to do the upgrade and lose my JB because of this. Though I will miss the free tethering of my phone when I’m at work with my laptop.

• guest says

hey how come when i download the new itunes, it still says i have software 4.2 instead of 5.0 and ive downloaded it like twice. does it have something to do with the fact that i have windows? and whats the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit?

• Dwatson3 says

I would bet all iPad 2′s sitting there for sale won’t get pulled back in for updates- they’ll probably expect new owners to log on and do it themselves…..just my guess.

• john doe says

what would be the the difference? iOS 5 will be free with or without the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.

3. iPhone 4S says

4. iPhone 4S says

• iPad2&iPhone4s says

Ummm…..you should definitely get the update. Aside from being more secure, its more awesome.

• 00 Matt says

Depends. You can get the newest version before iOS5 is released if you don’t like the looks of iOS5. Personally I don’t like the idea of the new notifications and some of the other new features, but I will be getting it for siri & the new camera features.

• 00 Matt says

My bad, I’m actually getting the 4s. Forgot to mention that.

But there’s gonna be a lot more new features for iOS5 so it’s up to you if you want the new stuff.

5. Andrew Lariviere says

Wow I can’t believe it two more days and iOS 5 is out! Should I wait for a jb though? I think I will because I’m buying a cpeel t288 and I can’t use it without a jb :(

• Steve says

just checked its not avail yet, just give it time it’ll arrive, better if its in the evening anyway as it’ll take half an hr to do the update and you can just leave it to do it

6. Matt says

i keep hearing 12noon  but  every time i get on itunes 10.5  to update my iphone 4 all it  tells me is current verison 4.2.10 nothing about updating to ios 5