Android 4.0 Update Headed to Motorola Droid Bionic

Yesterday we learned a couple of new details about Google’s latest mobile operating system, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. First off, Android chief Andy Rubin revealed that it would start rolling out to devices not called the Galaxy Nexus a few weeks after that device’s launch. Then, shortly after that, we learned that the Nexus S would get the bump to Android 4.0, as would the Droid RAZR. Google also revealed that it think that just about every Gingerbread phone will see the update at some point.

Well, another domino has fallen and Motorola has confirmed to the public, via Facebook, that the Droid Bionic will in fact be getting an upgrade to Android Ice Cream Sandwich at some point in the future.

When exactly?

Droid Bionic

The company did not elaborate but did say that it would announce a time table once Google releases the final version of Android 4.0.

So, Droid Bionic owners, rest assured.

Android 4.0 is coming and we wouldn’t be surprised to see it arrive in early 2012 alongside the update for the Droid RAZR.

Via: Droid-Life

Comments

1. BrianB13 says

I would only want ICS on phones that are built and optimized for ICS like the Galaxy Nexus is.  Putting ICS on the Bionic is like putting lipstick on a pig.  Its still a pig.

• deduct says

If its a pig, its one lean, mean, blazingly fast multitasking animal. Still not sure why people are trashing the bionic. Its a great phone!

• brandon says

I think a lot of people are frustrated with the bionic because of all of the delays getting it to market.  I was going to get a new phone in January but decided to wait when I heard about the the bionic at CES.  April turned to May then to June then to July then to August and finally September.  By the time it came out, I was kind of pissed and decided to hold out for the Galaxy Nexus.  No doubt the bionic is a good phone, but it pains me to say it.  LOL  Mostly cause they kept me on the hook so long.

• Gdsingh Bobby says

I agree. I have bionic and it’s one of the fastest and the most beautifully designed Android phone I have ever had.

• BBYM Sales Lead says

It is an awesome phone! Having worked in the wireless industry for the last 5 years what I have discovered about people/customers is they trash talk what they don’t know and follow the hype of commercials, and online reviews. Until you have used these devices for an extended period of time you will never really know the full potential or lack there of.

• Westvolusiaguys says

This coming from a person that doesnt own a Bionic. I love mine its very quick and responsive. ICS will run fine on it.

• Lasim03 says

I have a bionic and is a good phone for a paper weight. Junk for data and locks up and drops calls but if you live in a big city I ges it maybe a good phone . Out of five I have the bionic is junk. My old nv3 is way better and that is bad.

2. Guest says

Are Android operating systems specific to the device? As an example may a RAZR purchased at the November 2011 launch shipped with 2.3 Gingerbread upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in early 2012? Would the hardware or BIOS (is that’s the correct term) for a November 2011 RAZR differ from a March 2012 (early 2012) RAZR that ships with Ice Cream Sandwich. In other words …if you want a RAZR with Ice Cream Sandwich, do you purchase in November 2011 or March 2012 (early 2012)?

• Spencer Myrick says

No the os is NOT specific to the device! If you buy a RAZR in November you will have the upgrade pushed to your phone when it comes out! Its best to buy right away:-)

• brandon holley says

Well excuse me but what press conference where you watching? They clearly said that it ICS is optimized for HD multi core phones……last i checked the razr was qHD with a super AMOLED advanced screen but hey maybe google will make it happen…………before this time next year.

3. Davedickinson9 says

The DROID bionic is not that good. Needs some update to fix the bugs. If its your first DROID than you will think its great. It has trouble switching from 4g to 3g loses data connection. You need to reboot the phone to fix. Like adjusting in call volume while on a call the phone will end the call. I barely use this phone because of the issues. You need to pop the battery phone freezes while you aren’t even using it? They need to fix this system. How did it get thru beta

• Anonymous says

easy fixes for those glitches and a promised update to permanently fix them in Nov. Most phones have some issues when released and the problems with the Bionic are nothing when compared with other releases. I’m a long-time droid user and I absolutely love my Bionic.

• richard melcher says

The radio problem was a known issue and they have a fix about to be rolled out. its the 893 update look it up, im running it right now.

• xlxsparkzxlx says

I have had the same EXACT issues Dave! I have been so frustrated are you planning on bringing it in or using it as is?

• Mryello08 says

Smh its not good cause u cant afford it ….no phone in the Android community is flawless
      The razr will have flaws like every other Android

• Rikk1105 says

I haven’t had any issues with my bionic and this is my 6th Droid.. I love this phone!!

• ZackFr0st says

alright dude. I love my bionic. its awesome. if u have one just root at and download the liberty 3 rom for it and u wont be complaining

• Dan says

upgraded from a Thunderbolt to the Bionic.  The Bionic smokes the TB! I live in the sticks where you get barely any signal, have yet to have a dropped call. I have gone from no signal to 4g in ATL several times, never a problem. In call volume changes are ALWAYS flawless, and the battery lasts ~2 hours longer than it did in the TB! Everytime someone trashes it, the comments are always followed by “it’s rather expensive, my phone was free through (insert store).

• Forn6_04 says

This is an issue with the sim card. The work around for it is to turn on airplane mode briefly and then turn off.  That should fix it.  However, if your phone does this extremely frequently, it is likely that your sim card is close to being fried and you need a replacement.

4. Donald Bays II says

I’m loving my Droid Bionic. I had a Droid Eris then a Droid X1 and Im really enjoying this phone. Every so often I find some neat little feature that I never had on the other two phones and yes it does have a few issues they are small and all of them only require a small update to fix from Motorola. Untill then I have no issues with doing a quick restart to fix a small 4g/3g issue. Bring on the ICS!!!

5. Formerflyboy says

Personally, I love my Bionic. I came from a rooted Eris with a custom ROM but other than the bloatware I have so far been satisfied with the speed. I have had no problems switching between 3G and 4G but as any Eris owner knows not all people will have the same problems. ICS? Bring it on!

6. Scrubdoogie says

I have had my Bionic for about 2 weeks now, loving it, I don’t have 4G in my area, yet, but am having no problems connecting to data.

7. Divo900 says

The bionic is a great phone. if you think otherwise your spoiled. Please stop complaining about first world problems you make the rest of us look like materialistic brats

8. Erh78 says

i have had 5 bionics…2 first ones were lemons..freezing, etc, i went to get another and another..and finally they gave me a refurb..and yes..u have warranty for a yr. doesnt work send it back till ur pleased..i have a refurb. that a tech has completely checked out. and i have not had a problem since..love my phone..expecially the battery life..last 2 days straight with out a charge..and a good app. that i recommend is 2x battery..love it..shuts off data.when the phone screen is off and turn it back on when u turn it back on. i have the extended battery, man plug it to my hd tv. watch netflix..ect..would not trade it for another..oh one more think..wifi tethering free..cuz i rooted my phone. custom roms avaiable..if ur not a geek i say stay with ur normal flip phone..cuz this is a pc in ur pocket…hahaha for got..i can turn my car with my phone….iphone cant touch this..always loved android..had a droid x before changing to a bionic..love my droid x too which was rooted also..  .

9. BBYM Sales Lead says

Where do some of you people get the stuff that you say? We have one guy speaking of pigs and lipstick, we have another guy speaking of EnV 3’s. I mean lets be serious people. Walking into a Verizon store and “testing” a phone while waiting to fix whatever crappy phone you are using, or to pay a bill doesn’t constitute as legitimate usage of some of the fastes smart phones out today. People have so much negative to say about a CELLPHONE. The phone doesn’t do this and the phone doesn’t do that. Wellllllllllll news flash! Your kids don’t do what you want them to do, does that make them garbage? You husband/wife doesn’t move with 4g speeds either, does that make him/her a pig with lipstick? Being a person that has been in the Mobile phone industry for a little over 5 years, I in no way know everything there is to know about about phones, but I know quality when I see it, and sell it. Buy the phone then trash talk it. Don’t use it for 5 minutes while waiting in line then all of a sudden become a self proclaimed expert…..