Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread Update Rolling Out, Can Be Manually Installed

Yesterday we heard that Sprint was likely going to be rolling out Android 2.3 Gingerbread for its Galaxy S device, the Samsung Epic 4G, and right on cue, the carrier has made today’s roll out official. The update is rolling out OTA which means it will be showing up on phones in batches so if you’re the proud owner of an Epic 4G, you’ll want to be as patient as possible.

For the impatient folks out there, there is a way to get the update right now, courtesy of Android Central. The manual installation method is the same software that Sprint is pushing out so you don’t need to fret.

Epic 4G

Here is how to manually update to Android 2.3:

1. Download the update from Google.
  2. Rename the file to update.zip. (Make sure you don’t do update.zip.zip if you’re on Windows.)
  3. Move the update.zip file to your SD card.
  4. Turn off your phone.
  5. Hold the Volume Down and Camera buttons, then press the power button.
  6. The update should automatically launch itself. Sit back and relax.
  7. Reboot the phone.

If you’re not proficient with your phone, you may as well just wait for the update to arrive OTA. Or, you could attempt to pull the update by tapping Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates >Update Android.

Either way, the software is here and it’s a good day to be an Epic 4G owner.

(Sort of. Ice Cream Sandwich was just announced…)

Comments

1. Nathan Risto says

I just tried the manual process of updating and the phone starts but does not do any updating. File is on the SD card named update.zip. I’m holding down the volume down and camera button. No update is being done. There must be something else missing.

2. Lomerson2 says

Help PLEASE.  I am getting a failure message that says: E: failed to verify whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed   Installation aborted.

Have downloaded file several times, it’s size is 82.4 MB (86,499,484 bytes).  Is that correct?

Thanks,

Rick

3. Jeremyandrews11 says

The instructions are wrong you need to name the file update….. not update.zip for windows users but it works

4. Guest says

I used this tutorial but the update did not start automatically. I instead had to use the volume rocker to move down to select the option to install the update, then i pressed a button that selected the option. I think it was the Home button, but I’m not positive.

5. Tracy Fall says

Here is a slightly different method that doesn’t include the camera button and also, it starts the process while the phone is ON.

*NOTE* This is after you have downloaded, renamed and moved the file to the root of the sd card.
    I discovered this method because I was confused and tried to power on the phone with the wrong buttons and also while the phone was already on. Go figure, a blonde moment perhaps?

1.    While the phone is ON, press the volume button and then the power button
    2,    After a second or two, the Samsung screen shows.
    3.    The boot option screen comes up after the Samsung screen.
    4.    Use the volume button to choose the update option and press the HOME key to activate the process. You don’t have much time to choose this option, so be aware that it will be coming up. (I didn’t expect it, so I had to do it all again)
    5.    I didn’t time it but a few minutes later (the phone was unpacking the file) the Galaxy S screen came on for oh, I am guessing maybe 2 minutes or a little more.
    6.    After the Galaxy S screen goes away, the phone will start to boot.
    7.    When the phone has booted, check the phone version and it should say 2.3.5 and you are now running Gingerbread.

If you decide to try this and it worked, please let us know. I don’t know if it is particular to my phone and no, I haven’t rooted or changed anything on the phone other than install and uninstall apps and played the hell out of some cool games, LOL!

6. Dont know says

I downloaded it. Renamed it.reboot it and its still not working? Need help. How do you, move it to the root

• Anonymous says

I named it UPDATE.ZIP in caps, make sure you have WINDOWS to see all extensions or you can be naming this to “update.zip.zip”, and dropped the file on the SD card for example “E:/SDcard name” so you click once on the drive that the computer mounts it on or assigns whatever letter to you can use a card reader if you want. Restart the phone and hold power camera and down volume at the same time to access the android maintenance screen and select arrow down to highlight update.zip and hit the home screen button on the touchscreen and it should start to load.

7. David Berkompas says

My Epic is rooted, with Truly Epic Rebirth, formatted as ext4, and no love here.

8. Thom says

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UPDATE !!!!!!!  DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UPDATE !!!!!!!
    I downloaded this update Nov 17. Now my phone is pretty much useless. AND, to make matters worse, I contacted Sprint with all my issues and asked how I could undo the update, they said that they know about the issues (which are too numerous to list here), but you cannot undue the update. They said they will have a fix in about 30 days. 30 F**KING DAYS !!!!!!  I can’t believe that they know about the issues but are still sending out this update. Just to name a few, my phone squeals a high pitch tone like a feedback squeal, it does it so often that I have to shut my phone off at night so I can go to sleep. My bluetooth keeps disconnecting. There are many other issues but the worst are the squealing and the battery life. If I shut off all running services, I have about 3 hours standby and maybe an hour talk time if I’m lucky. And it’s not the battery, I tried it with a new backup that I have also. Please do NOT download this update, wait and see what kind of fix if any Sprint comes up with.