How to Fix Bad iPhone Battery Life on iOS 5.1.1 in 5 Minutes

Is your iPhone battery life lower after the iOS 5.1.1 update?

We’re hearing from readers that the iOS 5.1.1 update results in bad battery life on the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

The battery life of my iPhone 4S remains steady, so this iOS 5.1.1 battery life issue is hit or miss.

Read: How to Get Better iPhone Battery Life

If your iPhone battery life is bad on iOS 5.1.1 here’s how to fix it in a few minutes.

How to Fix Bad iPhone Battery Life on iOS 5.1.1

Inidcation of bad iPhone battery life iOS 5.1.1

Indication of bad battery life.

Before you try to fix bad iPhone battery life I suggest making a backup of your iPhone. To do this plug in to your computer and sync. If you don’t already do so, this is a good time to set up WiFi sync.

To fix bad iPhone battery life on iOS 5.1.1 we are going to reset the iPhone settings. This is a fresh start for every setting on the iPhone, but it does not delete the apps and data on the iPhone.

1. Open the Settings App.

iOS 5.1.1 Settings battery life fix

2. Tap on General.

3. Scroll to the very bottom and tap on Reset.

bad iphone battery life iOS 5.1.1 fix

4. Tap on Reset All Settings.

5. If prompted, enter your Passcode.

6. Wait for the reset to finish.

7. Use the iPhone until the battery at 0% and the phone turns off.

8. Plug in the iPhone and charge to 100%.

9. This should fix most iOS 5.1.1 battery life issues.

10. If you continue to experience bad battery life you may need to perform a complete iPhone reset.

The iPhone will ask you to enter WiFi and other setting information as if it was taken out of the box. I suggest reading 10 iPhone 4S settings to change, in order to make sure your iPhone is set up right.

Comments

1. User says

Thanks! I had about 2 hrs of battery from full charge playing games and it was crazy. When i unpluged it from charging at 100% it would go down to about 93 instantly. I was so mad until i discovere this! Now my ipod touch 4g running ios 5.1.1 is going all day again! Thanksss!

2. Robert says

Thanks! After updating a month or so ago, I was at 4 hours battery life if I didn’t use the phone at all. If using the phone even sporadically, I could expect 1-2 hours max. I skipped this step initially because I thought it was a “half-solution.” I decided instead to do a backup and full restore as a new phone. After about 5 attempts at that with no improvement, I decided to try this. It worked! I finally feel like I’m not carrying a brick around in my pocket. Thanks again!

3. Ant says

Just to be clear – for this to work, when you’ve done a reset all settings, do you need to then set the iphone up as a new phone and manually set everything up (rather than restoring from a previous backup)?

Thanks

4. none says

Above all, the most important thing to do:
    Go to location services > system services and disable all options, those litteraly suck battery life by running GPS activity background.
    Some of those features like iads locate your position all the time so thru apps you might receive advertising depending on your location.
    You probably don’t need or want a permanent compass calibration, setting time zone or diagnostic and usage function which also use GPS running background all the time.

So try it before resetting and deleting…it’s amazing.

• Holly says

Thank you, thought the reset was a tad harsh and I followed what u said with the gps and realised that there were also apps either games or utility also using gps and data collection. No wonder my phone tuned off everytime I tried to send an MMS. Data overload with a silly battery trying to cope with the power drain to run them.

Cheers!

5. Martyn says

the battery life sucks, sucks big time. I’ve just got a 4S and I’m not impressed by it one little bit. 27hours is the best I’ve got out of it and I’ve had it 1week. I used to charge mu old nokia once a week and it did more! The battery life is not going to get any better either.

• Allen says

Martyn, the iPhone 4S isn’t some miracle smartphone that can last for a week without charging again. Most smartphones cannot even last a full day without needing another recharge while the iPhone can. 27 hours is pretty amazing battery life for this phone. And it’s probably the best you’re going to get out of most smartphones. You just have to get used to that

• Mike says

I just got an Iphone 4 to replace my blackberry bold. My blackberry bold goes for about a week of my standard usage before it needs a charge. The iphone 4 with the same usage needs a charge in a day and a half.

Something is definitely not right.

6. Joker says

Exactly,Its not a nokia,27 hrs is good. Learn a bit more before about smartphones before u start comparing battery life to nokias

7. Ysatis says

Hi I just want to ask, does this reset thing apply to iPhone 5 as well? Because what happenned was that, when you charge the phone for the first time you’re supposed to charge it up to 100% right? Without interruptions. Well I don’t know if I have a bad luck or maybe the world hates me and decided that this would be the best time to have the electricity in my house to fluctuate. So long story short I have THE worst battery life with my NEWLY BOUGHT iPhone 5. And I don’t know how to fix it. Help please!! Will this reset thing work on iPhone 5 as well? HELP.

8. Bledar says

Hey people also for better battery life , turn of ur iphone for 10-15 min than charge it to 100% , this really helped me brothers before the phone battery doesent last more than 2 hours without using.. now i use it it stands for at least 18 hours using it .. im gonna try to reset for better battery life :P like 27 hours or something :P .. PEACE dont forget to restart ur phone for 10-15 minutes this reall HELPED ME !!