Clicky

How To Install iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S

By  |  43 Comments

If you can’t wait for the fall 2012 iOS 6 release date, you can download iOS 6 and install it on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 4 and iPad right now.

Apple only makes the iOS 6 Beta available to developers, but if you aren’t willing to plunk down the $99 for a Developer License you can still get the iOS 6 beta for $7.

Read: 40 iOS 6 Features You’ll Actually Care About

The process is easy to follow, but keep in mind this is beta software so not every app will work with iOS 6 and your iPhone might behave badly.

Where to Get iOS 6 Beta Access

iOS 6 Beta

Visit IMZDL to register for the iOS 6 beta.

Before you can install the iOS 6 beta on your iPhone or iPad you will need to register your device with a developer account. My favorite site to do this is IMZDL, which offers UDID registrations for the iOS 6 Beta for $7 with a 24 hour turnaround.

If you can’t wait, you can register your iPhone or iPad UDID with IMZDL for $8 and have access within 2 minutes.

The free UDID Sender app will email your iPhone or iPad UDID to you for easier registration.

IMZDL is under tremendous load, so you may need to try several times to load the pages. The download links should be live soon.

How to Install the iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S or iPad?

Installing the iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPad is straightforward, but will take some time as you will need to back up your iPhone and then restore from a backup.

1. Register your UDID with IMZDL

2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and perform a backup with iTunes.

3. Download iTunes 10.6.3 from Apple. Install the new version of iTunes.

4. Backup your iPhone or iPad again with the new version of iTunes.

5. Download the iOS 6 Beta for your iPhone or iPad from IMZDL. This could take some time, so be patient.

6. Open iTunes and upgrade to the iOS 6 Beta by choosing Restore.

• Be sure to hold alt/option on Mac when you click Restore.
  • On Windows, hold Shift when you click Restore.

7. Find the .ipsw file you downloaded.

8. When the installation completes choose the most recent backup to re-install all your apps and contacts.

What Devices Work With iOS 6?

The new iOS 6 beta is compatible with many of the latest Apple iPhones and iPads, but it will not run on the original iPad.

• iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPad 2
  • New iPad (3rd generation)
  • iPod 4th Generation

Some devices may not be able to use all features of the new iOS 6 beta.

iOS 6 Beta Warnings

Officially Apple says there is no way to downgrade from the beta back to iOS 5.1.1, but because Apple still signs iOS 5.1.1 you should be able to downgrade if things go bad. If this is a big deal, wait a few days to make sure this is a possibility.

You will need to use a computer to upgrade to iOS 6. There is currently no over-the-air update available, so grab your cord and a computer.

This is a beta. Things may not work s you normally expect them too and some apps may not work at all. Keep this in mind before you try out iOS 6. Don’t leave negative app reviews if apps don’t work. This preview is in place for developers to make their apps work with iOS 6, not for the average user.

Make sure you backup before you try any of this.

Josh Smith is Editor of GottaBeMobile and Notebooks.com. He's always looking for ways to help you get the most of your gear and loves to talk about tech on radio and TV. Josh uses an iOS and Android devices as well as Mac and Windows Computers. Josh Smith on Google+ Email: [email protected]

43 Comments

1. Justin

06/11/2012 at 2:56 pm

HEllo,
    MY UDID WAS registered on the devloper website yet when i updated it says my device isnt registered. now what?

2. Ralph

06/11/2012 at 3:03 pm

same here, delay on their side. Stuck with a brick.

3. Danni

06/11/2012 at 3:29 pm

Same here, unable to do anything…

4. me

06/11/2012 at 4:24 pm

apple is stopping people from selling these “developer” slots to others. ha ha ! you suckers got ripped off

5. Drew

06/11/2012 at 4:26 pm

Just restore with 5.1.1

6. Daniel

06/11/2012 at 5:59 pm

I registered my UDID and when i got o restore with ios6 it says i can’t do the build, and I’m on iTunes 10.6.3. Any help?!!

7. Preet

06/11/2012 at 6:17 pm

Has anyone been able to update using this method? I can’t find new version of ITunes in the list as given in step 3. Any help please?

8. Jose

06/11/2012 at 8:19 pm

I registered my udid at cheapios6.com and was registered in 5 min, downloaded the ipsw from IMZDL and did SHIFT+RESTORE and it updated perfectly on my iPhone 4… Don’t listen to anyone saying it won’t work or getting ripped off, because it does work, I’m proof, 100% working fine!!!! (and no I don’t work for any of these sites)

• ben

06/11/2012 at 9:25 pm

does siri work on it?

• modi

06/12/2012 at 12:49 am

which itunes version did you use? beta or the regular one?

• Preet

06/12/2012 at 5:08 am

According to Apple, iTunes 10.6.3 is enough for to upgrade to iOS6

• Eitan

07/16/2012 at 10:15 pm

From the time you made your purchase how long did you wait before it was actually registered?

• Fake

06/12/2012 at 12:25 pm

you’re*

9. abzzzzy

06/13/2012 at 6:34 am

Hi, I am a registered developer and I am activating apple devices for just £3.48 on eBay. Here is the link to my listing – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Register-your-UDID-iOS-6-beta-extremely-fast-24-7-/120931646643?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item1c28167cb3

I am a trusted seller and will also provide private high speed download links with no waiting times to the iOS 6 firmware files which will be in .ipsw format so it will be possible for either MAC or Windows users to upgrade without hassle.
    Please message me through ebay if you have any questions.
    Also if you don’t have an ebay account you can message me directly at [email protected]

10. Hardik patel

06/13/2012 at 6:56 am

Plz tell me ios 6 suport iphone 3GS

11. WhyMe

06/14/2012 at 2:54 am

Instead of registering your UUID, you can just click option/shift + update and it doesn’t require a developer account. All of these sites telling you that you need to register a developer account, or pay for addition to one are scamming youQ

12. Ed

06/15/2012 at 9:11 am

dont buy it! does not work one bit! throwing you money in a pond gives you the thril of water circles.

13. Willie Grant

06/16/2012 at 3:45 pm

I just tried the download and it is not working It says that im not part of the deveolopment. What is the problem

14. Billy Ressler

06/19/2012 at 6:13 pm

I did 2 of my iPhones through this site and it works perfect. This is not a wast of money.

15. Tushar Agarwal

06/21/2012 at 12:28 am

Its great that we can get the iOS6 beta on iPhone right now but still i will avoid it as i had a hard time with my iPhone when i installed iOS 5 beta.

16. ANON24

07/02/2012 at 12:43 pm

Man you developers who are using this opportunity to bank are pathetic. Apple didn’t release this so you can make money. If your that broke try unemployment.I’m so disappointed with this and I own AN ANDROID. Just making all the other developers who are legit look terrible.

17. iOS-UDID.com

07/11/2012 at 2:58 pm

Experience iOS 6 now on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch for just $ 4.99 on iOS-UDID.com

18. J123456789

07/15/2012 at 3:21 pm

Is it illegal to get your udid registered by a developer an is it illegal to get the iOS6 beta?

19. play nintendo 3ds on windows

07/24/2012 at 4:26 pm

You could certainly see your skills in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

20. uuid

08/10/2012 at 7:06 pm

want uuid? ill register uuid for $10 super fast!!! add me up on facebook to contact me fb.com/mrvanwilder

21. Michael Vallez (@CrazyMikesapps)

08/31/2012 at 7:59 am

Thank you, I always forget the al/option key.

22. dheeraj

09/13/2012 at 8:47 pm

Update to iOS6 in no time,

No need to wait till official release Juts update it right now (no Developer Accounts Needed)

change DOT with “.”