How To Install iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S

If you can’t wait for the fall 2012 iOS 6 release date, you can download iOS 6 and install it on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 4 and iPad right now.

Apple only makes the iOS 6 Beta available to developers, but if you aren’t willing to plunk down the $99 for a Developer License you can still get the iOS 6 beta for $7.

Read: 40 iOS 6 Features You’ll Actually Care About

The process is easy to follow, but keep in mind this is beta software so not every app will work with iOS 6 and your iPhone might behave badly.

Where to Get iOS 6 Beta Access

iOS 6 Beta

Visit IMZDL to register for the iOS 6 beta.

Before you can install the iOS 6 beta on your iPhone or iPad you will need to register your device with a developer account. My favorite site to do this is IMZDL, which offers UDID registrations for the iOS 6 Beta for $7 with a 24 hour turnaround.

If you can’t wait, you can register your iPhone or iPad UDID with IMZDL for $8 and have access within 2 minutes.

The free UDID Sender app will email your iPhone or iPad UDID to you for easier registration.

IMZDL is under tremendous load, so you may need to try several times to load the pages. The download links should be live soon.

How to Install the iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S or iPad?

Installing the iOS 6 Beta on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPad is straightforward, but will take some time as you will need to back up your iPhone and then restore from a backup.

1. Register your UDID with IMZDL

2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and perform a backup with iTunes.

3. Download iTunes 10.6.3 from Apple. Install the new version of iTunes.

4. Backup your iPhone or iPad again with the new version of iTunes.

5. Download the iOS 6 Beta for your iPhone or iPad from IMZDL. This could take some time, so be patient.

6. Open iTunes and upgrade to the iOS 6 Beta by choosing Restore.

• Be sure to hold alt/option on Mac when you click Restore.
  • On Windows, hold Shift when you click Restore.

7. Find the .ipsw file you downloaded.

8. When the installation completes choose the most recent backup to re-install all your apps and contacts.

What Devices Work With iOS 6?

The new iOS 6 beta is compatible with many of the latest Apple iPhones and iPads, but it will not run on the original iPad.

• iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPad 2
  • New iPad (3rd generation)
  • iPod 4th Generation

Some devices may not be able to use all features of the new iOS 6 beta.

iOS 6 Beta Warnings

Officially Apple says there is no way to downgrade from the beta back to iOS 5.1.1, but because Apple still signs iOS 5.1.1 you should be able to downgrade if things go bad. If this is a big deal, wait a few days to make sure this is a possibility.

You will need to use a computer to upgrade to iOS 6. There is currently no over-the-air update available, so grab your cord and a computer.

This is a beta. Things may not work s you normally expect them too and some apps may not work at all. Keep this in mind before you try out iOS 6. Don’t leave negative app reviews if apps don’t work. This preview is in place for developers to make their apps work with iOS 6, not for the average user.

Make sure you backup before you try any of this.

Comments

1. Justin says

HEllo,
    MY UDID WAS registered on the devloper website yet when i updated it says my device isnt registered. now what?

2. me says

apple is stopping people from selling these “developer” slots to others. ha ha ! you suckers got ripped off

3. Anon says

4. Daniel says

I registered my UDID and when i got o restore with ios6 it says i can’t do the build, and I’m on iTunes 10.6.3. Any help?!!

5. Preet says

Has anyone been able to update using this method? I can’t find new version of ITunes in the list as given in step 3. Any help please?

6. Chris says

7. Jose says

I registered my udid at cheapios6.com and was registered in 5 min, downloaded the ipsw from IMZDL and did SHIFT+RESTORE and it updated perfectly on my iPhone 4… Don’t listen to anyone saying it won’t work or getting ripped off, because it does work, I’m proof, 100% working fine!!!! (and no I don’t work for any of these sites)

8. Chris says

9. Junior says

10. Junior says

11. abzzzzy says

Hi, I am a registered developer and I am activating apple devices for just £3.48 on eBay. Here is the link to my listing – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Register-your-UDID-iOS-6-beta-extremely-fast-24-7-/120931646643?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item1c28167cb3

I am a trusted seller and will also provide private high speed download links with no waiting times to the iOS 6 firmware files which will be in .ipsw format so it will be possible for either MAC or Windows users to upgrade without hassle.
    Please message me through ebay if you have any questions.
    Also if you don’t have an ebay account you can message me directly at [email protected]

12. WhyMe says

Instead of registering your UUID, you can just click option/shift + update and it doesn’t require a developer account. All of these sites telling you that you need to register a developer account, or pay for addition to one are scamming youQ

13. Ed says

dont buy it! does not work one bit! throwing you money in a pond gives you the thril of water circles.

14. Willie Grant says

I just tried the download and it is not working It says that im not part of the deveolopment. What is the problem

15. Billy Ressler says

I did 2 of my iPhones through this site and it works perfect. This is not a wast of money.

16. Alex says

17. ANON24 says

Man you developers who are using this opportunity to bank are pathetic. Apple didn’t release this so you can make money. If your that broke try unemployment.I’m so disappointed with this and I own AN ANDROID. Just making all the other developers who are legit look terrible.

18. J123456789 says

Is it illegal to get your udid registered by a developer an is it illegal to get the iOS6 beta?

19. uuid says

want uuid? ill register uuid for $10 super fast!!! add me up on facebook to contact me fb.com/mrvanwilder