Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Release Dates Appear Close

It appears that the Motorola Droid RAZR Ice Cream Sandwich update release date and the Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich update release date are close.

We have received a number of tips and a few comments from readers who have said that Verizon has sent out a text message informing Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners that the update is indeed close.

The carrier did not provide a specific release date for the Droid RAZR Ice Cream Sandwich update but we assume that the roll out is now closer than ever.

Read: Motorola Droid RAZR Review.

Here is Verizon’s text message to Droid RAZR owners:

Free Verizon Message: Your phone will soon be upgraded to Android 4.0. At that time we will remove your Verizon Wireless Mobile IM app because it is not supported in Android 4.0. Please download a new instant messaging app to use IM on your phone. Thank you for using Mobile IM!

So, it would appear that Verizon is getting ready to release the update. It still has just around half a month to get the software to Droid RAZR owners as promised and hopefully it does so before the very end of the month.

At this point, we doubt that June passed without a Droid RAZR Ice Cream Sandwich update, so owners, rest easy.

Droid RAZR MAXX have apparently been sent the message too. It’s unclear if Verizon will be rolling out the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates simultaneously or if one will roll out after the other.

Motorola and Verizon have also promised a June roll out date for the Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich update as well, but like the Droid RAZR Android 4.0 update, several rumored release dates have come and gone without any sort of roll out to speak of.

In any event, it looks like things are moving for Droid RAZR owners, at the very least, so be on the look out for an Android 4.0 release date for both smartphones soon.

Comments

1. Lisa says

I have a Razr and no text message for me. I am thinking theMAXX is getting it first which sucks

2. Steve O says

I have the DROID RAZR, not the MAX and I have not received any kind of messages from Verizon. I spoke with tech support from Verizon less than an hour ago and they said they do not have any idea as to when ICS will be released.

3. Kyle says

I have a Droid Razr Maxx and I received 2 of these txt messages. One at 12:13PM EST and one at 12:25PM EST. Can’t wait to get ICS!

4. Todd says

I have a Razr Maxx and have not gotten a text message. However, I did notice that my MotoCast software pulled down an update today to version 2.0.19. I think that is probably an indicator that they’re about to push this out.

5. Brian says

I am in Orlando and have not received this text I am hoping to get this soon though glad to see there is finally some hope.

6. crystal says

I got the message also early this afternoon. I have the razr. I was excited to see this message

7. Steve O says

I have the Droid RAZR. As I stated several hours ago I had not received any messages from Verizon. I still have not received any messages. I had spoke to tech support earlier in the day and i just spoke with them again. Both times I spoke with them they had not heard about any update being released in the near future nor did they know anything about any messages being sent out. One would assume that if an update was coming out that tech support would be aware of it since there are bound to be problems that arise.

8. Steve O says

I know several people who have the DROID RAZR including 4 in my own family. None got that message

9. james says

I have a droid razr and got this message at 10:23 am Friday.
    Free Verizon Message: Your phone will soon be upgraded to Android 4.0. At that time we will remove your Verizon Wireless Mobile IM app because it is not supported on Android 4.0. Please download a new instant messaging app to use IM on your phone. Thank you for using Mobile IM!

10. Steve O says

Verizon just announced that those individuals who got messages stating that the update was coming soon got messages that were spam and should report them as spam. There is no pending release in the next few days as indicated by the messages

11. Mart Hyatt says

I received this message last week.

• Mart Hyatt says

BTW – I received 2 texts and I have the razr, not razr maxx. Another thing. What is a good text application?

12. amber says

I hate the new update …. please sum one help.me get back to my older one!!! My phone sucks now the graphics are bad!!!! I have the new droid razr maxx and everyrhing was fine tour this new update!!!