iPhone 5 Release Date: What to Expect This Fall

At WWDC 2012, Apple failed to announce the iPhone 5, which means that customers will more than likely have to wait until this fall for an iPhone 5 release date.

And while we’re currently months away from a release, we do have a pretty good idea about how the iPhone 5 launch and release will play out this fall.

Apple is widely expected to be releasing an iPhone 5 with 4G LTE capabilities, a 4-inch display – up from the usual 3.5-inches, a new front-facing camera, a thinner design, and of course, iOS 6. Those features, especially the screen size and 4G LTE data speeds, have drawn lots of interest from consumers, many of whom are likely waiting (painfully) for news about a release.

Update: Catch up on the iPhone 5 in one page.

The iPhone 5 could be taller.

Again, we don’t have a specific release date to look at just yet. However, we just so happen to have a crystal ball and here is what we expect from the iPhone 5 release date this fall.

Read: iOS 6 Release Date: What to Expect This Fall.

September or October Release Date

Now that WWDC 2012 has come and gone without an iPhone 5 announcement, we know that Apple is likely going to be announcing the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5 release date sometime this fall. When exactly unfortunately remains a complete unknown.

There have been numerous reports pegging the iPhone 5 release date as being in either September or October. A specific date in either month has not yet been rumored.

October seems to be the month that is the front-runner at this point though. Apple, although very secretive, is fairly predictable when it comes to its release cycles.

Read: No iPhone 5, No Problem: iPhone Owners Will Wait For Fall Release Date.

Previous to last year’s October launch of the iPhone 4S, the company had launched its iPhone during the summer. And now that that cycle has changed, we expect Apple to stick to it.

Keep in mind, Apple announced and released the iPad 2 in March of 2011 and it did the same with the new iPad this year. It’s a creature of habit.

The iPhone 4S launched on October 14th and we fully expect Apple to launch the iPhone 5 on a date close to that.

Release After iOS 6

Apple sticks to a similar release structure with its mobile hardware and software. Last year, Apple announced the iPhone 4S and its release date at its fall event. In addition, it also announced the final version of its iOS 5 software and gave it a release date as well.

Read: What iOS 6 Tells Us About the iPhone 5.

The iOS 5 release date came on October 12th, a couple of days before the release of the iPhone 4S, which meant owners of Apple’s previous devices got their hands on the new software a little bit earlier than new iPhone buyers.

We fully expect the same to happen this year with Apple announcing the final version of iOS 6 and its release date alongside the iPhone 5 and then releasing the new software a few days before it releases the new hardware.

The iPhone 5 release won’t mirror the Galaxy S III’s.

Release Date Given at Announcement

Many manufacturers and carriers announce a new smartphone or tablet at a large media event but fail to give it any sort of pricing or a release date. For instance, when Samsung announced the Samsung Galaxy S III in May, it failed to give many consumers a specific release date for the device opting to give a launch month instead.

Believe it or not, this can deter some consumers from buying the device. It also leaves open the possibility that consumers will choose another device between the announcement and the eventual release date.

Fortunately, Apple does not do this and it’s one of the reasons that its media events are so widely watched and covered. It’s also probably a reason why the iPhone sells so well right off the bat.

At the iPhone 5 event, expect Apple to announce an official release date for the next iPhone. Additionally, expect it to tack on pricing as well.

Same Date for Three Major Carriers

Again, Apple is vastly different from many of its competitors when it comes to release dates and pricing for its products. Using the Samsung Galaxy S III as an example again, the device, like the iPhone 5, will be headed to multiple carriers in the United States.

However, the device has different release dates on different carriers. It will be hitting Sprint and T-Mobile on June 21st. AT&T around the same time. And U.S. Cellular and Verizon in July. It’ll also come to C-Spire at some point as well.

Pricing is also bound to be different as well.

Read: Apple’s iPad Siri Images Hint at Taller iPhone.

With the iPhone 5, we expect to see a release date across the board for its major carriers which should include AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. We also should see the same pricing at all three carriers as well.

Barring a surprise, we expect the iPhone 5 to start at the usual $199.99 and then progressively get more expensive when the internal storage space is increased.

Chaos

Last but not least, we expect the iPhone 5 release date to be chaotic. Earlier this year, when the new iPad launched, it took many consumers many hours to lock down an order for the device. Apple’s site was finicky and it buckled under the amount of interest in the iPad.

That happened to the iPad, just imagine what’s going to happen with the iPhone, especially if it sports 4G LTE and a bigger screen.

Last year, AT&T’s website crumbled under the load of the iPhone 4S and Verizon’s site was slow as well. We expect the same, if not worse when the iPhone 5 arrives.

That being said, those interested in the new iPhone 5 should expect the release date to be a stressful one filled with sites crashing, extremely slow order processing, and loss of hair.

Comments

1. read more says

Wow, fantastic weblog format! How lengthy have you been running a blog for? you make running a blog look easy. The full look of your web site is magnificent, as smartly as the content!

• lizett says

Hah , same thing with me. I wanna buy the iphone4s but then again the iphone 5 is coming out soon :/

2. RFColunga says

I hear it will have a 120gb and a 64gb version, will it have a slot for external memory or other accessories?

3. Dylandynamo1 says

Others say its transparent u say it’s just like the iPhone 4s but with a larger screen which is is….ugh I really want to know……

4. Ed says

I bet anything that apple will release the iPhone 5 in September rather than October. The reason for that is Apple will have a amazing year, considering the iPad 3 was released in Q1 and the iPhone 5 in Q3 Apple is killing the market; there is no way that October, Q4 be the release date. September is my best guess but I can wrong.

5. phissith says

All that read just to tell me it will be release this fall and that it will be hectic? So much for the title…where are the spec!

6. Daad Singh says

Excuse me please, what is an iPhone? Is it like my phone or your phone? This name not makings sense!

7. pastorello says

please please.. i am not a I SHEEP…why would i buy a phone that i can’t even swap the battery or without memory card slot, and the screen is soo small.. it’s 2012 people .. wake up

8. Techno Addict says

Is the iphone 5 gonna be on t-mobile? And when? Is it earlier than verizon or sprint? (Or the same time?) Please reply! :)

• Meh says

Why dont you just buy it from someone else-unlock it from the at&t or verizon network- then pop your T-Mobile sim car into it. Its a at&t policy that they HAVETO unlock it if you request it. Some of the employees may refuse it but if you show them thee policy they might. If not go to a differnt at&t store and they might. I dont know of Verizonspolicy thoe.

IF THAT FAILS there is a list of “commands” you can use to unlock it wich is just calling a free of charge number.

9. Lora t says

I find it so amusing when people call iPhone users sheep yet the android market has followed along trying to be just like and compete with the iPhone! What’s the first thing a new smart phone is compared with?! An iPhone! Even Samsung and other company’s can admit their biggest competitor is apple…the whole smart phone market are sheep after the iPhone whether you own one or not! Get a clue! And fyi I wrote this on my galaxy s3, which I love but the whole set up is based off the iPhone!

• larney says

Wow, I also use the s3 and its nothing like an iphone. Not even close. You know that android had the notification drawer since 1.0.1 and thats like 3 years ago. Well iphone just got it this year, so who is following who?

10. Lora t says

11. Lora t says

O yea and as far as the removable battery and additional memory…iPhone doesn’t need it because all pics and music and contacts are backed up on icloud and your email so the iPhone doesn’t need extra memory. And as soon as a pic is taken it shows up on the computer so u don’t have to waste your memory on little stuff like that and it can be used for important stuff like apps and stuff! I love the iPhone because not only is it simple but most importantly reliable! They don’t rush to put stuff on the phone that doesn’t work or works mediochre…that’s y apple doesn’t always have certain items but the things they do have work great! And as I said before I have the Samsung galaxy s3. Which is beautiful and works wonderfully. But everything on it is based off the iPhone. I have to say my camera is way better tho well better than the iPhone 4s. One thing that sux on my phone is I can’t highlight specific words in a text…I can’t highlight a number or address out of a text I have to copy the whole text which is annoying.

12. macniac says

Well, my Samsung Galaxy S2 seems to stop working every moment now. I cannot wait stopping the “android experiment” and switch back to Iphone5 and iOS!!! Android is way to instable to me. btw: hope, the new iMac will also be released in september…

13. Greg Lopez says

I’m glad I’ve waited this whole time to get myself a IPhone I’ve had the iPhone 34S I believe its called? But it wasn’t for me it was to common just like all the ones before so I decided to hold of till the release of iPhone 5 what a glorious day it will be for me wa ha ha ha ha nat geo wild an anaconda breeding ball

14. anti "i" says

All you idrones are the same. It’s just a product to try and tell people you are better than them. You are not! I wont buy any of their products they make you…yes MAKE you do things their way with their programs and on their terms. I just think it’s funny how people put down other phones just because we don’t want to be like you. Plus iphones are for young girls guys who own them need to exit the closet. Just saying.

15. LawrenceMarbella says

There are some indisputable facts in life, humans need air to breath and food to eat. The sun will rise in the morning and set at night. One multiplied by one is still one. Apple design and manufacture the most beautiful, functional, desirable consumer electronics in the history of the world. Some Android owners talk about Iphone owners being conformist, well this Iphone owner gladly stands up to be counted in that regard. “There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist” Take heed Android owners.

16. Tallness says

Can’t wait for iphone 5 release. BB Torch giving all kinds of problems. No more RIM products for me>

17. FRIzZY says

Right around the time windows 8 and windows 8 phones come out too way better then the over priced ipoo mono style products. Why would anyone pay that much for everything to look the same?

18. Raven says

True, true. I love Apple, it works. Sadly, the SGS3 didn’t work for me :(. It crashed, it burned. Had 2, in 2 weeks. Went back to Apple.

Nothing against anyone that’s had a positive experience tho. The SG3S was a pretty phone with lots of gimmicks to keep me amused. Would have been fab if it charged on a dock. Or didn’t send me fantom text messages. The kies made my phone lag also. The video hub didn’t work. The list goes on…

Gave Andriod a chance. It was disappointing. For me, anyway.

• Meh says

I love android but I hated the GS3 because of all the fancy tools. They all feel unnecessary to me. I would acept the Iphone ONLY IF the developer tools were free. I dont care if “it’s only 100$” because its just the sheer idea that they think its alright to charge people for them to be creative and inovative on their device. Thats just wrong. I mean even Bethasda releases dev kits with their games for free. Android dose and I dont know why apple didnt follow suit on the idea. They’d be holding a huge advantage over everyone if they did.

19. Koismit says

No need to swap batteries. iPhone battery goes longer than the energizer bunny. And jail breaking (which takes ten minutes and doesn’t require any special skills) an iPhone gives you more options than any phone anywhere. Any aspect of the phone can be customized, disabled, and/or changed simply by downoading a tweak. And it opens a whole new app store with many more user uploaded free apps. Thanks to the huge hacking community!:)

• WolfOfTheSteppes says

I think you mean “jail breaking….an iPhone gives you more options than any OTHER IPHONE anywhere.” I can partition my Android device on terminal right now and make it run dual operating systems with switching cores. I’m pretty sure there’s not an app on Cydia that does that, nor is enough of the root unlocked on an iPhone to even make such an endeavor possible.

20. Scott Dann says

Personally the iPhones disappointed me. Without a jailbreak, the apps are… Well pretty crap and every game has ‘in app purchases’ that can cost upwards of more than £100! Just so you can finish a game this side of the year 3000. I’ve seen android phones play playstation games and run different operating systems… Without a jailbreak. All I can say is that it’s better than a blackberry. Where apps are slow, grainy, generally backward. And cost ridiculous amounts of money. Don’t waste time on these apps and games. Use a phone as a phone and a console for games.