Samsung Galaxy S III Owners Reporting Battery Drain Issues

Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S III are reporting a battery drain issue that might be caused by the phone’s software.

According to Galaxy S III owners on the XDA-forums, the device is seeing an abnormal battery drain issue that might be directly tied to the software’s cell standby feature. If that’s the case, the issue should be surmountable with a software fix in the future.

Thus far, Samsung has yet to confirm the issue.

This issue seems to only be affecting the international version of the device. We didn’t experience this issue on our American variant so those that are buying the device on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon should not have to deal with this problem.

Galaxy S III owners are dealing with a battery drain issue.

Samsung Galaxy S III owners are evidently seeing a quick battery drain when using the device. Sleuth work has determined that cell standby is making up 50-70% more battery drain than Android or the display. This, clearly, is not normal.

Fortunately, there is a fix that owners can use in an effort to stave off the bug until Samsung gets around to roll out a software fix. The installation method is not going to cater to those that aren’t familiar with tinkering with their smartphone so those that are experiencing the issue but are novice when it comes to modding should probably get in touch with Samsung and report the issue.

That way, the company will at least be aware of the issue if it isn’t already.

The fix isn’t perfect either which means that it will be up to the company to ease the battery strain that some Galaxy S III owners are seeing.

Samsung’s Galaxy S III has taken the Android world by storm since it launched back in May. The company has seen so many pre-orders that it has had issues meeting demand for the phone.

These issues have delayed launches on AT&T and Sprint in the U.S. and they also pushed the Canadian launch of the Samsung Galaxy S III back a week.

Comments

1. Carter0108 says

Not the slightest bit true. I own an SIII and live in the UK. The battery lasts at ther very worst 2 and a half days. No issue whatsoever as most smartphones must have a daily charge.

• Mary says

My Battery is the same :(( I have changed 4 phones so far, I just leave it on my desk at work and it lasts only 6 hrs :(((

• Mary says

I am also in UK, no one seem to have this problem but my battery only lasts 6 hrs and I dont even use mt phone :(( I guess u r very lucky, my provider has changed it 4 times, they are lost y this happens for every single phone :((

2. Shimi says

I don’t know how to you understood that this is a real battery drain issue. It isn’t. It’s just a UI bug. And the fix is just fixing this UI bug. It doesn’t affect battery consumption whatsoever.

3. Ed says

I’m one of those experiencing this battery drain. I spent a lot of money and gadget that last half a day in standby mode. Cell standby is a REAL and huge issue for me. Don’t be that selfish!!!

• Sam says

Hey ed:

Im having the same problems.. I lost 5% battery without even touching it for a 45 min car ride. I also have all the settings to the lowest and turned off automatic updating from widgets and email. Still have this problem.. I feel you pain. samsung needs to step it up. Im an upset customer.

• Diane says

Me too. Same Issue. phone is 12 days old. Its been in Standby mode using all the power saving etc adjustments known … cant get 24 hour without it asking to HookUp. NOT ACCEPTABLE

• Stephen says

I now know a few people that have the SIII, they all have the same problem so it’s common with the 4G version, I have 4G turned off because it’s not readily available around me yet and I’m using Juice Defender from the Play Store which does work, especially the paid versions.

4. Awais says

i am facing ECHO problem in S iii,i already replace out but same problem presist i think it’s a manufacturing fault.

5. Stephen says

I’m effected big time on my Bell Mobility unit, losing 10% per hour when it’s not even being used! All apps closed, memory cleared, 4G turned off, getting the run around from Samsung.

• Mary says

OMG Stephen, U dunno how relived I am to understand its not me going crazy!! mine has exactly the same problem, I dont even touch it untill after 5 6 hrs I hear the beep which means “recharge me” I am soooo annoyed :(( and Samsung doesnt even care :(

6. Dhillon says

The first two weeks of having the SIII the battery life used to last for over 30 hrs while using the phone for calls and browsing, now I am lucky to get about four hrs of battery life I have also replaced the battery with no results………

Looks to me like a faulty phone that I will be sending back to Samsung

• Ian says

Did you do an update at all?
      I had a similar problem – for the first week or two my battery life gradually improved and I was averaging more than 1.5 days. Then an update gave the incorrect meter reading for the cell ( which is only an issue as the phone no longer reports the usage of all of the apps on it) and my battery life is less than a day. I am using it less and getting less battey life
      I have had to attempt the WiFi fix but don’t know if that has an impact?

7. Alberto Quiñones Santiago says

I’m using the AT&T version of the Galaxy and my battery lasts less than 3 hours if I’m actively using the phone (Internet, Facebook etc) on LTE. And when in my work with a full charge the battery is yellow after 4/5 hours and I’m not using the phone. So maybe it affects some phones? And the first commenter: two days without a charge? I can’t achieve a full day with all the settings on low… So what’s the trick?

• Stephen says

I installed the paid version of Juice Defender, big improvement! I tried the free one first, it works ok, the paid version does more. I have LTE turned off all the time, it’s not readily available in my area and frankly I don’t think it’s that much faster.

8. harry says

12% per hour with most of the options OFF (wireless, notificationsgpssync, bluetooth and power saving on.. Mobile is 14 days old and was showing tonight CELL STANDBY 72% !!! Means that all my battery power takes standby mode??? !!!!!! WTF!

• harry says

OK, I tried different battery management software, all option off, I did uninstall most of the software – without any results until now.

YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD SAMSUNG KIES SOFTWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER AND CONNECT YOUR GALAXY S3 TO DO AUTOMATIC FIRMWARE UPDATE. – not software or system update! Thats problem with firmware only.

Now power consumption is 10% per 4hrs with most of the option ON but in ”cell standby ”- better that was before…. but still not perfect

9. Mark Andrews says

AT&T Samsung Galaxy III (US) can use an SDXC card up to 64 Gigs, not 32 gigs as stated here. I am using this card today.

10. Charlie says

Got the Galaxy III mainly because of hype about how long the battery lasts….. I am lucky to make it til 11a even if I leave it on the charger til 8a!!!!! It would be nice to have it last at least until I am ready to go to bed! Lost 3% while writing this.

11. TiredOfS3 says

Used iPhone 3GS for 3 years.
    3 weeks back bought S3 from AT&T store (they sell for $199 vs BB sells for $149).
    No apps installed yet, charged battery to 100%, left it on stand-by.
    By morning, phone is dead.
    This continued for almost a week.
    Went back to store and exchanged with another S3.
    This time tested for 2 weeks ….
    Same problem …. 100% charge drains out overnight
    went back to store and ordered iPhone5

All the time while testing S3, made sure …
    No apps are active
    Sync is off

S3 is a beautiful phone with no brains (power)

anyone disagree?

• Mary says

!00% agree, 100% I have exactly the same experience just I have changed my phone 4 times so far!!! My husband has an iPhone and I said i dont like it, I regret it soooo much :((

• Mark Andrews says

I have WiFI turned on and my phone stays above 50% for more than 16 hours. It is when I am on LTE or 4G that gives me a battery drain problem and my phone won’t last more than 4-5 hours. One feature the iPhone has that was not added to the Android phones is real power management. The iPhone will turn on the 3G/4G radio once every 15 minutes to check for services. The Android phones are on line 100% of the time. To fix this, go to the android market and download a free app called “Juice Defender”. While it doesn’t do a whole lot for me while on Wi-Fi, it helps out a lot when your only data source is 3G/4G. Alternatively, you can turn off the wireless data when you are not using it. When I’ve done this, the phone uses very little power and lasts all day easily.

I hope this helps..

• Mary says

Thanks a lot Mark, I will try this app, I have always had my wifi, gps, all aps and 3G closed. What annoys me is that it seems to be all fine for some ppl. ah and also sync is inactive and screen is almost black! some of my friends seem to b using it all the time and have no problem, the phone lasts a day and half ://

• Mark Andrews says

I’ve tested this phone (USA version) and it has the same 4G battery drain issue as reported here. (AT&T 16 meg version). If I don’t use Juice Defender, the battery will be dead in 5-6 hours. The time it lasts is in direct proportion to how weak the cell signal is during this time. Juice Defender seems to do the job for me as I was at work all day and it dropped to 80% at the end of the day. I also noticed a larger drop if my s3 is in my pocket VS a case on my belt. This is because my body acts as a shield or ground and forces the phone to use more power communicating with the cell tower. If you purchase the other versions, you can customize the frequency it turns on wifi / 4G to check email, etc. Juice Defender to me is the missing piece to Android OS that should be in the OS to begin with. It’s missing the serious power management the iPhone has. Juice Defender is that power management and it works well. (Disclaimer: I am a user of Juice Defender and not in any way affiliated with the company.)

12. Tiffany C says

I charge my SIII all night. In the morning it says 100% but when I take it off of the charger it goes down to 25% or lower. I’m not sure if it’s a problem with my charger or the battery. I have been having issues with the phone battery as well. I keep it on power saving mode and battery still drains within 4 hours with very little usage.

• Mark Andrews says

I had this issue when I used a charger for my Blue Tooth earpiece, try a different charger.