Clicky

Clock is Ticking for Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Updates

By  |  108 Comments

The clock is ticking for Verizon to begin the full roll out of the Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates.

Earlier this year, Motorola promised that the update would roll out in Q2 of this year. Q2 of course encompasses the months of  April, May and June. The current date is June 30th which means that Motorola and Verizon have less than 48 hours to make good on the promise or else, face the wrath of Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners.

The carrier originally stated that the updates would be rolling out on June 22nd. That may have been true but as we’ve seen and heard, the updates are clearly only rolling out to a small batch of users who the carrier is using to test the software.

We doubt that Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners had a soak test roll out in mind when they were told that the update would be rolling out in Q2 and more specifically, on June 22nd.

The clock is ticking for the Droid RAZR Ice Cream Sandwich update.

Instead, like reasonable people, Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners believed this meant that a full on roll out would be taking place.

Now, we’ve heard that the update might become available to all users by the end of tonight. We’ve heard from a source that says that the update should, if all goes according to plan, roll out to most users today and that those that don’t see the update roll out OTA by midnight will be able to manually update.

Clearly, the update has not rolled out to Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners quite yet. And that means that the clock continues to tick down to the end of June and the window that Motorola promised to Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX owners.

A soak test doesn’t count as a roll out and Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX owners likely feel the same way.

Anyone see the update yet? We’ve heard that it might be rolling out in batches.

108 Comments

1. Megan

06/29/2012 at 10:28 am

I have been waiting for this update for mooonths and moooonths. My finger is about to fall off from checking the manual update. Can a girl just get some Ice Cream???? Jeesh. Nothing. 11:27am-FoCo,Colorado

2. David

06/29/2012 at 10:28 am

Houston TX, nothing yet

3. Dakoda

06/29/2012 at 10:30 am

I have not received ICS yet. This is very dissapointing and a let down. They have till tomorrow to keep their promise. I hated Motorola Products before the release of the RAZR and if they don’t keep to their word….I won’t be happy and again ill have bad taste in my mouth.

4. Fuzzy

06/29/2012 at 10:32 am

Oklahoma City, OK.

Squat. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

5. karl

06/29/2012 at 10:33 am

Nothing in Montana yet either :(

6. Steven

06/29/2012 at 10:33 am

I am starting to look into selling this POS phone and paying full price for the iPhone 5 when it comes out. While Apple is not perfect, not ONCE have I felt like pulling my hair out when promised an update and it’s not there. I am sick of the phone app not even working on this phone. I am going on vacation to Europe in a few weeks and i literally NEED this update so global roaming is enabled, or I am screwed. This is so rediculous.

7. ken

06/29/2012 at 10:33 am

Nothing here on Maxx

8. Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:36 am

Got it here in Georgia me and my wife same time. =)

• Brett

06/29/2012 at 10:49 am

Where in Georgia are you Kenny?

9. Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:36 am

^^^^^ Both on Mxx

10. Becky

06/29/2012 at 10:37 am

Still waiting…………. :-/

11. saul

06/29/2012 at 10:37 am

Still nothing CA if I don’t get this today this will be my last Motorola phone.now own by Google and they should just sent it out like nexus and forget verizon we pay them for service not update

12. Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:37 am

Steve you know your not going to rage quit android , stop whining .

13. tankrothchild

06/29/2012 at 10:38 am

I contacted Motorola chat support yesterday and politely told them there may be something wrong with my phone since I cannot receive the update. He told me the update is released in batches, there is no way of knowing which batch you are in, and there are unable to send the update out on phone by phone basis. I asked if there was a way to get bumped up on the list, I even told him I’d pay for it, he said, “No.” but before we ended our conversation he told me he was putting me on a priority list for the update. Which I’m pretty sure was just to get me to stop asking questions. Judging by his responses earlier, I’m pretty sure there is no such list. Here’s to waiting…

14. Randy

06/29/2012 at 10:38 am

Kentucky. Nothing yet. So so so disappointed.

15. Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:38 am

Are you checking for it manually thats how we got ours Saul.

• saul

06/29/2012 at 10:47 am

• saul

06/29/2012 at 10:49 am

Almost every 15 mins or so

16. Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:39 am

There is no bump list , I have worked at verizon for 10 years.

• tankrothchild

06/29/2012 at 10:41 am

What does verizon have to do with a motorola update?

17. Scott

06/29/2012 at 10:39 am

Nothing here in Michigan…RAZR Maxx

18. LA BABY

06/29/2012 at 10:41 am

got this morning here in LA yay !!!!

19. Razr MAxx

06/29/2012 at 10:43 am

just got in im in Bay City

20. tankrothchild

06/29/2012 at 10:44 am

i love to suck cock im so mad !!!!

• Kenny Powers

06/29/2012 at 10:46 am

You mad bro?

21. Justin

06/29/2012 at 10:45 am

Ontario, nothing yet, RAZR Maxx

22. Mark

06/29/2012 at 10:45 am

Spoiled little girls. Didn’t you parents teach you that good things come to those who wait. Relax. It will be here. I’d Personally rather wait for it to be perfected than get a half assed rushed version… Thats just me tho. Dunmore, PA

23. Greenstone

06/29/2012 at 10:46 am

Got it here in Greenstone !

24. Mark

06/29/2012 at 10:47 am

Im also a little girl by the way so guys hit me up .

• Mark

06/29/2012 at 10:56 am

342-455-3453 ;)

• Megan

06/29/2012 at 11:00 am

This forum is getting a tad ridiculous.

25. Megan

06/29/2012 at 10:49 am

Mine came through ….finally !!!!

26. F.L.Jablonski

06/29/2012 at 10:49 am

Every time you click “system update” the server automatically adds 3 hours to your wait time for ICS… just calm down and have a nice stiff drink. You’ll get it when you get it. Until then, imagine a time when you didn’t have imaginary “due dates” perpetuated by internet blogs and forums.

• Nick

06/29/2012 at 11:03 am

Troll ….. where did u get that info?

• ESP

06/29/2012 at 11:37 am

Ha! I thought same thing.

• Kele

06/29/2012 at 11:48 am

I won’t get my update for a couple years then….

• jeff

06/29/2012 at 12:50 pm

jablonski, ur a rambling idiot. do you work for motorola or verizon?

27. Jason

06/29/2012 at 10:49 am

Nothing here in my ash-hole, usa.

28. F.L.Jablonski

06/29/2012 at 10:50 am

Im an idiot , and have no way to back up my current statment.

29. Megan

06/29/2012 at 10:52 am

I agree, guys sounds like a troll.

30. [email protected]

06/29/2012 at 10:54 am

Come on guys/girls , play nice . Patience is a virtue.

• Randy

06/29/2012 at 11:18 am

“patience is a virtue” I’m so sick of people using that as an excuse for this miserable lack of communication and poor customer service. I think when my next Verizon bill arrives I will just disregard it and when Verizon calls I’ll tell then “your payment has been scheduled on the due date and will be rolling out to you in the next four Weeks. Patience is a virtue!”

• [email protected]

06/29/2012 at 11:28 am

Get off my site , your ignorance annoys me.

• Randy

06/29/2012 at 11:38 am

Ah…. So how long have you worked for Verizon?

• Steve

06/29/2012 at 12:43 pm

WWAD? What would Apple do? They would let everyone update at the same time, in a timely manner.

31. F.L.Jablonski

06/29/2012 at 10:56 am

I love handlebar mustaches.

32. Rd

06/29/2012 at 11:00 am

Nothing yet MO. Razr Maxx
    Questions: I have been read other posts about an alert. Has anyone heard of this alert? Text? or Email?

33. F.L.Jablonski

06/29/2012 at 11:01 am

Actually, the moron who posted the “idiot” follow up as me would be considered the troll… but whatever. IF you thought that the “automatic 3 hours” was a serious claim, you’re an idiot. But, then again the fact that you are upset by a roll out date (that hasn’t been confirmed by the Verizon website) means that you’re probably willing to accept anything posted on the trusty ol’ interwebs.

The fact remains that I’m just as frustrated by the lag in getting my ICS as the rest of you, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that complaining about it online won’t speed the process up. The best way to cope is ignore all the rumors and let it happen when it happens. It’s all predetermined.

• F.L.Jablonski's asshole

06/29/2012 at 11:17 am

Im hurting from last night when that guy pounded me hard , dont take it out on the others. Ouch says the chocolate star fish.

• Josh

06/29/2012 at 11:20 am

Good answer… finally someone speaks the truth… Relax people it will come out when it comes out… and to be honest.. I have ICS on my razr maxx now that i rooted and im not at all impressed with it…

• Box

06/29/2012 at 11:27 am

• ESP

06/29/2012 at 11:40 am

+1 but still you have some troll in your bum. ;)

34. Nick

06/29/2012 at 11:01 am

Actually today the date is the 29th XD but yaaa no ICS yet

35. coonshootinmcnab

06/29/2012 at 11:02 am

Why!!!!

36. Lacy

06/29/2012 at 11:03 am

I received a text from a 4 digit number , advising me to , check status update. So I manually checked it and got the update. Im in Evansville.

37. beefy genitals

06/29/2012 at 11:09 am

Attention please! Testicles. That is all.

38. Donnie

06/29/2012 at 11:11 am

Nothing in Alabama yet

• nick

06/29/2012 at 12:05 pm

Yeah they said it could be up to 4 weeks for us……

39. Donnie Loves Mike

06/29/2012 at 11:14 am

Donnie I got it last night while I was fisting you .

• donnie

06/29/2012 at 11:17 am

What the heck does that mean

• Wu-taaang

06/29/2012 at 11:36 am

YOUR OUTTA YOUR ELEMENT DONNIE

40. donnie

06/29/2012 at 11:19 am

I think ur on the wrong site,lol

41. Kyle

06/29/2012 at 11:25 am

Have had the update for about a week now. I installed the leak of 211 ( which is what will be rolling out anyways soon. But I followed these instructions to a T and now have the update and have been enjoying the sweet taste of ICS! I highly reccomend this method if you simply cannot wait any longer.

PS
    If it says that you need to sign up for an account to view the download links shown in the link above visit the link in your mobile browser and it will show the download links with no need for an account :)

42. [email protected]

06/29/2012 at 11:32 am

The next improper, rude, comment , and this discussion will be shut down. Come on people be nice. Tho I have to agree F.L.Jablonski is a misinformed cum dumpster.

43. Junior

06/29/2012 at 11:36 am

NOTHING HERE IN CHICAGO.. 1:35PM

44. Don

06/29/2012 at 11:54 am

@Adam Why wait to shut it down? I see very little of substance in any of these comments anyway. And most likely your silly threat will just come out as a challenge to the trolls to up their game.

On topic: I am very frustrated with this entire process. I understand that Verizon/Motorola have to make sure all is right with the update before sending it out, just stop giving us promises that they can’t keep is all i am asking. Way too many unsubstantiated “leaks”. It is ridiculous.

45. redrum

06/29/2012 at 11:59 am

I receive the update on one of my razr NC

46. stiffup

06/29/2012 at 12:01 pm

So there was was…..elbow deep in a migets ass…when a mexican clown came up to me and slaped me in the nipple….whats up with that i said..than he ran off into the sunset on his taco.
    The end

• Steve

06/29/2012 at 12:45 pm

Now, now, is that any way to talk about George W?

47. regmar01

06/29/2012 at 12:06 pm

We have two razor maxx and 1 razor. My son has the razoar and he already got ICS yesterday!! My wife and I have the maxx and neither one of us has gotten ICS.

48. Gibbs

06/29/2012 at 12:30 pm

There have been no promises of a release date, just a slow roll out. I am also impatient and have been checking for the update pretty much non-stop. Verizon and Motorola are not contractually obligated to rewrite the operating system on our phones. Maybe you folks on the RAZR can’t say this, but I would take my MAXX on Gingerbread over any of the current competition anyway. I want ICS, bad. I’m getting severely irritated. But making empty threats about not paying verizon on time isn’t going to make me feel better about the size of my e-penis.

tl;dr: Quit your bitching. I don’t believe patience is as important as it’s been made out to be, but it’s times like these I wish I was more patient, because cussing out my service provider isn’t going to accomplish jack-shit.

• Steve

06/29/2012 at 12:46 pm

Who would you rather fuck, Ted Nugent or Steven Tyler?

49. mike

06/29/2012 at 12:41 pm

Its ashame how some people got and some people don’t they need to hurry up cuz i can’t wait no more!!!!!

50. dan

06/29/2012 at 12:49 pm

I got the update early thursday morning and im not part of a soak test.

51. Greg Johnson

06/29/2012 at 12:57 pm

I was apart of the soak test. So I got mines Friday 6/22 (more like Saturday) around 1 am. Trust me ICS is nice and all, but after about half of a playing with it, you’ll wonder “why was I so amped up over this?”

• Mark

06/29/2012 at 1:22 pm

I have to admit I been waiting anxiously and I’m afraid that I’ll have a very let down feeling after a few hours. Really, how good can it be? I won’t expect the phone to ever see jelly bean. By then I will have moved on to a Samsung device. I have my third and final Motorola product now.

• Jimmy

06/29/2012 at 2:41 pm

I guess you forget 1 thing… with PICS, you can now delete all that damn Bloatware on your phone that Motorola, Verizon and Google have conviently put on there! That is what I’m pumped up about!! Not having to root my phone to do it!!

• Jimmy

06/29/2012 at 2:43 pm

I guess you forget 1 thing… with ICS, you can now delete all that damn Bloatware on your phone that Motorola, Verizon and Google have conviently put on there! That is what I’m pumped up about!! Not having to root my phone to do it!!

• yoder

06/30/2012 at 7:28 am

I got it this morning. no soak. It was very over anticipated, even by me. but I agree, not really as great as I thought it would be.

52. Camaro Girl

06/29/2012 at 1:09 pm

I got the update on my razr 3 days ago but not on my razr maxx. I called verizon and they said call motorola and ask them to push it through to my razr maxx manually. Verizon also said motorola/google sends the update out in batches of 100 at a time starting with older esn’s first.

• gerardo

06/29/2012 at 2:03 pm

My brother in law got the update and I have not received it yet. he just purchased his phone two months ago and I have mine sive the razor came out how doe he have an ESN older than mine.

• Kalen S

06/29/2012 at 3:03 pm

This is total B.S. I picked up my Razr maxx two Weeks after its release, and I haven’t seen anything yet.

53. PaulE

06/29/2012 at 1:14 pm

I understand where VZW is coming from. I work for a large company and making software/firmware available by a specific date simply means exactly that. If they push it to one phone, they can announce they have met their dates, and everyone else waits for the mass rollout.

Corporations do this by sending a DVD to another country on the release date, so they can announce the product has shipped, but in reality, it is not generally available. Most have moved to web based distributions so the manufacturing aspects are lessened, as purchasers do not need media. Those that do, may have to wait longer.

So yes patience is virtue, and no matter how impatient we get, it will come when it gets here and no sooner.

54. killa kwik

06/29/2012 at 2:02 pm

I did the manual update on 6/27 and love it. Just google “manual update ics” droid life has a great forum with lots of info and instructions.

• Mark

06/29/2012 at 2:11 pm

Did you have any problems? I’m giving it till midnight then I think I’m going to try it. What’s the worse that can happen? I’ll have a new paperweight…

• killa kwik

06/29/2012 at 2:34 pm

it went fine, it did require a factory reset but that’s not that big a deal when your backup assist does most the work to get all your apps back on to the phone. it took about an hour in total to download all the required software and such… still sooner than waiting for the “roll out” time-frame of now to whenever. :)

• killa kwik

06/29/2012 at 2:47 pm

the best search term is “OFFICAL OTA .zip Installation” misspelled, download from page 1 of forum and use instructions from page 70 repost by “jacrx17″

• Mark

06/29/2012 at 5:55 pm

Thank You! I’m going to give it a try…

55. Lyle

06/29/2012 at 2:02 pm

It’s true, Motorola and Verizon have less than 48 hours to get the ICS updates out before the end of Q2, but that’s because today is June 29, not 30, and June only has 30 days.

56. williM

06/29/2012 at 2:13 pm

VZW is releasing I C S update for the RAZR and RAZRMAXX in batches of 15000. The reason they have given is to conserve bandwidth on the engine should have the update by the end of July

• Mark

06/29/2012 at 2:15 pm

Can you qualify your statement? A source maybe?

57. Cody

06/29/2012 at 2:57 pm

Ehh….been waiting…I know how to do it manually and all…my droid x was running cm9….but im waiting because I have nothing better to do…this whole thing is just a marketing ploy anyways….just like with anything else. but whatever all you guys need to get the knots out of your panties.

58. mark

06/29/2012 at 3:57 pm

In nortern ca. I just got off the phone with Motorola managment they told me it is being pushed to all starting in the next few hrs. An for lewis he is wrong in saying it wont come even by monday …. infact he even checked to seif a lewis works for his comp. He said no an he will look into it do to to many complaints regarding miss info. If he does work for the co. He is doing it without the consent of moto

59. future GS3 owner

06/29/2012 at 6:42 pm

I love my RAZR maxx and I don’t have my ics. I’m in Alabama. But I really don’t give a shit cause my galaxy will be here around the 14th. Goodbye MOTO.

60. Corey

06/29/2012 at 9:54 pm

With all these comments, who the heck do you believe. No one is my answer.

61. itzel

06/29/2012 at 10:06 pm

Check your updates!!!! I checked mine and it’s downloading!!! Yay :))) 12:04 Chicago.

62. Sqwatdog

06/29/2012 at 10:10 pm

12:05am Austin, manual download just started

63. Ryan

06/29/2012 at 10:11 pm

I just got it (11:05 pm MT) in Colorado. I don’t know if that information helps anyone. I know the last week when I’ve read others have gotten it, it just seemed to piss me off more. VERY unhappy with Moto & VZW, and wondering if I can pay my VZW bill with a check and keep telling them “that check should clear… soon. Just hold on to it!”

64. tom

06/29/2012 at 10:16 pm

I live in champaign IL and I just got it. I did an update check at 201 and ready to go

65. dee

06/29/2012 at 10:18 pm

After checking for updates faithfully especially the last 3 hours it’s finally downloading. Can’t wait to see what all the commotion was all about and i hope it was worth the wait :-)

• Dee

06/29/2012 at 10:23 pm

New York it was 1:15 am

66. joaquin

06/29/2012 at 10:19 pm

Manually pulled the update now in south west florida yayyyyy 1.19 am

67. junior

06/29/2012 at 10:28 pm

Downloading ics as i type this south texas btw

68. Tony

06/29/2012 at 10:45 pm

Ditto Junior! In Los Angeles here and downloading ICS right now. Verizon seems to be pushing the update out with great ferocity in an effort to meet the Q2 deadline promised by Motorola for the rollout.

69. Jaons

06/29/2012 at 10:52 pm

Downloading update now… i would say where im from but not like it matters because it doesn’t go by location and im sure everyone can get it now.. all these months of waiting … woot. Woot…

70. mrcrooks

06/29/2012 at 11:48 pm

Toledo,OH. downloading now

71. JR

06/30/2012 at 12:12 am

CHICAGOOO I GOT THE ICS UPDATE!!! 12:30AM

• Megan

06/30/2012 at 7:30 am

ICS update! Last night! Love it :-)