Wait for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1 Update Release Date Begins

While it shouldn’t have as a surprise to the many Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus owners out there who endured a five month wait for the first update to the device, Google has announced that it will be the Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ that will be the first to receive Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This of course means that the wait for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has begun.

As I’ve said in the past, this update provides an opportunity for Verizon to make it right with owners of its Galaxy Nexus device who felt betrayed by the company’s silence when it came to the Android 4.0.4 update that didn’t arrive until five months after the phone was launched.

Verizon can soothe things over with a quick upgrade to Android 4.1 for the Galaxy Nexus and at the same time, it can help restore the good Nexus name that it tarnished when it failed to deliver speedy updates.

It’s also a chance for the carrier to strengthen its partnership with Google which seemed to be come strained with the delays regarding the Android 4.0.4 bug fix roll out.

Read: Verizon Can Make it Up To Galaxy Nexus Owners With Jelly Bean.

The wait for Android 4.1 has begun.

What it shouldn’t do is force Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners to watch as other devices get updated to Android 4.1. The second device that gets updated after the Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ should be the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Not the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Read: Android PDK Means Phone Updates Should Come Out Faster.

If it doesn’t, I can guarantee that it will not only cause more people to think about leaving Verizon but also to think twice about ever buying a Nexus device again.

So, the wait for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1 update release date has begun and while I am not expecting to get the update the day after the Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ gets it, I would hope that Verizon keeps the wait within reason this time.

Do you think it will?

Comments

• Austin says

Verizon is getting the update before sprint because ovcourse verizon so called “bigger and better” and has a bigger impact. They are also the first to put the galaxy nexus on sale. Also, sadly verizon does try a little harder to get updates out than sprint.

1. PJones says

The Spring Nexus should be first. I feel like it will be anyway, as Sprint’s a company that actually cares about playing nice with Google. Don’t hate on the Galaxy Nexus, hate on Verizon.

• evan says

Seriously sprint sucks service sucks the only reason they’re still in business honestly what price

• dooder says

Sprint playing nice with google? I lol’d.
      Check when the ICS update for Sprint’s Nexus S released.

2. Steve says

There is no reason to expect that Verizon will be more accommodating to us GNex owners. Their next big release after the GS3 will probably be the RAZR HD. They decided to knife the phone from the start and Samsung didn’t help either. They’re pushing TouchWiz over plain Android because they feel they’re competing with it. I think the only way we are ever going to get a get CDMA Nexus devices is for Google to actually leverage the partnership Verizon and Motorola have. It may already be happening; the RAZR and RAZR Maxx are getting what is essentially a close to stock update to ICS with some small tweaks but no really heavy customization.

3. Charles says

I thought one of the advantages of getting any Nexus phone was to be able to get the latest updates directly from Google, and not the carrier? This one thing that I really don’t like about Android phones, the silly update game we have to play, and the planned outdating of phones like the Droid X, Eris, etc

4. Ryan says

I kinda figured VZW would be last with the update. They are always lagging way behind when it comes to updates. I want to update my G Nex to the leaked build, but I have never tried this before, and I am kind worried something could go wrong. But there is one thing I am kinda wondering about. If you install the 4.1 leak, can you still update your phone to the final build when it releases in a few weeks?

5. Kevin says

Eh I gave up on my Nexus and went to a RAZR MAXX instead. I’m sick of anything Samsung and quite frankly, the Nexus brand has been destroyed, it’s no longer worth it.

Besides, I needed a smartphone I could actually use as a phone….which is not a capability the Galaxy Nexus has.

6. Jerry says

My Vzw gnex is running 4.1 now. It’s a port but it’s buttery smooth. If some devs in xda can have this update working on my nexus in less than 24 hours and Verizon can’t get it in under a month…glad I’m rooted

7. Will says

Can we talk about how that picture with the iPhone in front of the GNexus makes no sense in the context of the article?