Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Now Available for Rooted Galaxy Nexus

Google announced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at Google I/O 2012 last week, but like all Android updates it will take time for a Verizon to officially release Jelly Bean for the Galaxy Nexus, but users who are willing to do some work can try out Android 4.1 today.

A leaked version of Jelly Bean for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is available with working 4G LTE, WiFi, MMS, SMS and everything else users would expect. This is a newer version of the leaked Jelly Bean ROM we shared last week, with enhancements and fixes.

Read: 5 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Features You’ll Actually Care About

Android 4.1 for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon delivers the new smoother performance of Jelly Bean. The leaked version of Jelly Bean for the Verizon Nexus also includes Google Now, a new tool for searching by voice and displaying important information like traffic, weather and more on cards. This Jelly Bean leak also includes offline voice dictation and improved Face Unlock.

Watch a video overview of the Jelly Bean Android 4.1 update on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

This is not the official version of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, but users shouldn’t experience many issues installing it or with use. Users will need to Root the Galaxy Nexus to install the update. There is always the possibility that something will go wrong, so proceed at your own risk.

Install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

The Galaxy Nexus must be rooted for this to work. Users who are new to rooting the Galaxy Nexus and flashing ROMs should make sure to read the directions multiple times before proceeding.

This will reset the phone to a blank slate, erasing game saves and anything else stored on the phone.

Backup the SD card to a Computer for safekeeping.

Boot into Recovery. The easiest way to do this is to install Clockwork Mod from the Google Play, open it and tap on Reboot into Recovery.

Make a Nandroid Backup

Install jelly Bean on Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Make a backup before installing Jelly Bean on the Galaxy Nexus.

1. Choose Backup and Restore
  2. Use press Power to select backup.
  3. Wait while the Galaxy Nexus creates a backup.

Wipe the Galaxy Nexus

Use the volume buttons to highlight wipe data/factory reset.

Press the power button to select it, and then highlight the Yes option on the next screen using the volume buttons and then power to select again.

Jelly Bean Galaxy Nexus Wipe Data

Wipe data before upgrading to Jelly Bean Android 4.1.

When the wipe is complete, select Go Back.

Now, highlight wipe cache partition and select it.

Select Advanced and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean Dalvik Cache

Wipe the Dalvik Cache before installing Jelly Bean.

Choose Mounts and Storage and then

format system jelly Bean Nexus

Be sure to format the system, data and cache to remove all traces of Ice Cream Sandwich.

• Format System, allow it to run.
  • Format Data, allow it to run.
  • Format Cache, allow it to run.

Install Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Go back to the main Recovery screen.

Select Install Zip from SDcard.

How to install Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE

Choose install zip form SD card to begin installing Android 4.1 on the Galaxy Nexus.

Select the ROM downloaded at the start of this guide, usually found under the Download folder.

Highlight the Vicious-TORO-JellyBean-V3-signed.zip ROM and select it with the power button.

Flash the New Kernel

Choose Install Zip from SDcard again.

Select the kernel downloaded at the beginning of this guide and install it using the power button.

Enjoy Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

When the phone reboots it should deliver a fully functional Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The phone may take a very long time to boot, mine took 5 or so minutes.

Let us know if you encounter any bugs or need assistance with any of the steps for installing Android 4.1 on the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon.

Comments

1. Mark says

I got this to work following your instructions. However, there were 2 times after a step was complete where a message would show that “The Go Back has been disabled”. When that happened, you couldn’t do anything. You couldn’t even power off or reboot. I removed the battery, restarted, and bounced back into bootloader mode and continued. It seemed to have no ill effects.

Thank you very much for the outstanding instructions and links.

• Help says

Okay the reason it would say “The back button has been disabled” is cause you cycled down thru the list of items several times…to fix just continue going all the way down and it will recycle to the top again…keep doing that…it’ll say “The back button has been enabled” and you’ll be fixed. Idk why it does that either.

• Scott Deagan says

I too have the Galaxy Nexus in the UK. I don’t know if these instruction will work, I’m just going to wait for the official OTA update (it’s only 10 or so days away – perhaps 15 days if Google have to change some code due to the Apple law suit/ban).

2. danno says

Great instructions but I can’t figure out why the referral of an SD card. Does galaxy nexus have an SD card?

3. shanan says

Good morning and thank you very kindly for putting this package. I have successfully flashed Jelly Bean to my Galaxy Nexus. I am though run into small problem though. So many updates are available but unfortunately I am unable to update…error message … “invalid package”. I followed your instruction to backup everything. Wipe data/cache, wipe dalvik cache and so on. I am regular ROM flasher so I knew that but always comes back all apps.. so this was little surprise…Have I missed something? Do you suggest that I should restore? If I do restore, will I have Jelly Bean still there or go back to ICS STOCK? I was running AOKP-Linaro ICS 4.0.4 build 38.

4. Daniel Ortega says

Hello,

Sorry for the noob question but when I open the trinity link it has 7 different kernel downloads. Which one do I select for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

5. Everette says

It may be nothing, but when I installed the Kernel zip it read out “Boom” and that something was succesfully corrupted. Idk if thats a trinity joke… but now its been around 6 minutes of the trinity loading screen only…

• Daniel says

I think your fine. Mine did the same thing. But the screen seems a little washed out. What kernel did you use?

6. Everette says

The top-most kernel, without the speed for the cpu posted. it just said max. I got her running. Cleared the cache again, reinstalled the zip and kernel and she fired right up.

7. Steph says

I was able to load the ROM with no issues. The only thing I have found that does not seem to work is installing apps from the amazon app store. It fails every time. Anyone else notice this or have a fix?

• Mike Laing says

I initially had the same issue with the Amazon apps. I uninstalled the app store and just tried it again. The apps I had previously seem to be installing okay now. I’ll update if I run into problems.

8. Scott says

I had a stock Verizon phone with no tools installed on my pc. I followed the instructions start to finish and it worked great. No problems found. So far it’s great.

Thanks to all for the effort!

9. Morrie says

Hi
    Help please I followed instructions but when I flash Jelly Bean it looks like it is go to instal and than it stops and reads Installation aborted. Did I do something wrong?

10. Jay says

So i did everything as followed but didn’t install the kernel. Is that bad? I am VERY new to rooting. My phone did loan up just fine with no problems. But how necessary is the kernel and what does it exactly do?