Motorola Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich Release Date Inches Closer

The Motorola Atrix 2 Ice Cream Sandwich release date has inched closer to becoming a reality today as a leaked version of the software has arrived at the surface.

Motorola has confirmed that the update will be rolling out sometime in Q3 which leaves Atrix 2 owners with a window stretching between July and September.

And while we still don’t know exactly when the device’s Ice Cream Sandwich update is going to be arriving, a leak is a good sign that things are progressing.

The update, according to XDA-Forums, courtesy of Phandroid, was pulled directly from Motorola’s servers. The update, it appears, still isn’t available for general consumption although devs are hard at work trying to make that possible. There should be more news in regards to its availability later on today.

The Atrix 2 ICS update has leaked.

We still have no idea when Motorola plans to release the update for the Atrix 2 or the original Atrix, which is also scheduled to get the update in Q3, but a leak is always a good sign, a sign of progression and hopefully it means that we’ll see something official come to the surface soon.

At the very least, it’s a sign that the update is going to be coming.

In the meantime, those who are well-versed in the art of flashing will want to keep an eye on that thread to see when the update is made available for public consumption.

The news comes shortly after Motorola and AT&T launched the Motorola Atrix HD, an Android 4.0 powered device that assumes the role of the Motorola Atrix 3.

The Motorola Atrix HD runs on AT&T’s 4G LTE network and it can be had for a mere $49.99 on-contract.

Comments

1. vijay says

Definitely a welcome update. While many manufacturers bring ICS out of the box, Moto takes its sweet time to bring out updates; that too when it’s owned by the owner of the OS. Kinda funny.

• neutrino says

They don’t care about you if you already own the phone. They just treat new customers well. After my experiences with Atrix ownership, Motorola will not be getting my business again.

2. Bob says

I am not buying another Motorola product ever again. I regret ditching my iPhone 3GS for this piece of crap. Random reboots, no signal when everyone else can get one,slower than my old phone.

• Shorty says

My Atrix 2 doesnt have any of those issues. I think you got a bad unit. I love mine, it works great with 2.3 and I look forward to 4.0.

3. Tom says

I love my Atrix 2. I had a 3gs and the atrix smoked it. I also had a Samsung Infuse. Samsung is sooo bad with updates. They marketed the phone as getting gingerbread later that year. Almost 2 years later they push Gingerbread…long after ICS came out. Motorola is not stellar, but way better than samsung.

4. DexterMorgan says

I like my Atrix 2′s hardware & form factor, and @ 50 bucks, the value was definitely there (bought it in Jan2012), but I despise Motoblur. I’ve managed to work around it for the most part, using GoLauncher & other dialer/browser apps, etc, but some things aspects of it still leak through. My biggest gripe is that it can’t be turned OFF. Things like the transition shimmer do nothing for me but waste battery, so I feel like it’s garbage being forced on me– nothing more annoying. I’d prefer the OPTION at least, to default to the stock google experience. One other complaint is that I can’t hang up the phone with the pwr button, if i also want to be able to wake the screen (go from speaker to handset after a few min on a call). Thus I often end up doing a button-press and 3 or 4 swipes just to end a call. Hopefully Google will continue to improve the experience after acquiring MotoMo, scrape away the crap, and iron out the bugs/usability issues.. Love the QHD display; wish there were at least 1 other hardware (home) button, like on the new samsungs..

5. Duff says

Even after Motorola releases ICS, AT&T will still take time to make it available OTA. We will be lucky to actually see this update come to our phone this year, unless we run through some hoops of getting it on our own.

I will be getting a pure Nexus from now on.

6. uzico says

Can someone please explain why it takes so long for MOTOROLA to release these updates? they have the resources (SW Engs) and all required codes (the drivers for HW etc)
    I know that it’s better for the company if customers buy new phones running the ICS, but if Samsung, HTC and others release the update so many month b4, i’ll definitely consider my next purchase…

7. Sick and tired says

I’m switching back to an iPhone after my contract is up. I hate the Atrix 2. (Android) in general…..

• Shorty says

If you dont like Android at all then you have no basis for comparison with the Atrix 2. Its one of the best Android devices around but not enough people know that. I can understand if it didnt swing you on an OS you hate, but thats not really the phones fault.

• Sick and tired says

I do not like the Android os compared to IOS (sorry I even mentioned it in my last post). (MY) Atrix 2 must be defective. I replaced the battery twice through my mobile insurance. Also there is all kinds of crapware that cannot be deleted unless you root it. I get spamware from the Play Store (even after I turned off Google AdMob Ads). Not sure if this is happening to others as well or if they know how to stop it. I am hoping ICS will make some improvements to its software and performance… I am glad others like the Atrix 2. However, I plan on getting a different phone after my contract is up.

8. john says

I cannot believe Motorola has taken so long to release the ice cream Sandwich update. It’s upsetting. I will not buy another Motorola phone in the future. I have my eye on Samsung.

9. Leon (@Lehjr1) says

Nearly a year after ICS was released we’re still waiting for it on our phones? After all this waiting Motorola will probably say screw it and instead of releasing an ICS update, they’ll give out a $100 as a reach-around for those who decide to buy another Motorola product.

10. Skhan says

Hi every one… great news for… Motorola official ics for atrix 2 roll out in India…..