HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich Update in Doubt

With HTC Desire HD Ice Cream Sandwich update status now unclear, the HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich update could very well be in doubt as well.

HTC backtracking on the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the HTC Desire HD is not good news for the HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich update as the two devices are relatively similar in terms of their specifications.

Read: HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich Update Release Date Remains Unknown.

The company said today that it is accessing the HTC Desire HD Ice Cream Sandwich update situation leaving open the possibility that Ice Cream Sandwich may never arrive for the device.

The HTC ThunderBolt ICS update could be in doubt.

This confirmation comes shortly after it was revealed that HTC had cancelled the update, only to see the company confirm the update would be rolling out. That, of course, may not be true now based on the comments made today.

Unfortunately, this is not good news for owners of the HTC ThunderBolt as the device is essentially Verizon’s version of that device. That, combined with the fact that this is a Verizon device – American carriers are slow to update in general and often leave devices in the cold – and we have some trouble brewing.

HTC has slated the HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich update for sometime during the months of July and August. Thus far though, we haven’t heard anything about the update or its release date.

HTC and Verizon have both remained mum on the subject.

It should be assumed that the update is still rolling out, and of course there is still time for HTC to get its act together with the Desire HD update, but don’t be shocked if and when HTC and Verizon decide that the software isn’t capable of running on the aging HTC ThunderBolt.

We’ll let you know when we hear something for sure.

Anyone out there skeptical about the HTC ThunderBolt’s ICS prospects?

Comments

1. Drew says

I called Verizon on Monday evening and the customer service rep gave me a tentative date of July 20th – 22nd. It’s now the 20th and I still don’t see any sign up the OTA update

2. Brent says

I just find it amusing that here we are in 2012, we’ve designed rockets to carry humans into space, satelites, discovered new planets, new particles, etc. But we can’t seem to create a mobile OS system capable of running on multiple devices. This has been going on for how long now? It’s always the same story, lol. It’s a good thing I’m patient and understanding I suppose.

3. nunzio says

I just spoke with Verizon telling me to call HTC. Called HTC and they are telling me to call Verizon both are stating they have no idea when the ice cream sandwich update for the thunderbolt will be. Both are full of &^%* just tell us they have scraped the ICS update for Thunderbolt.

4. Carl factor says

My solution is simple. I purchase the Thunderbolt In April of 2010 based on Verizon hype, not being a fan of anything Apple. My area was just upgraded to 4G this month. I have until next April then goodbye Verizon and never again will I own a HTC product. I like the Thunderbolt never had to many problems, but if you sell me soothing keep it up to date and if you cannot, my only recourse as a consumer is to find a company that can.

Now I know that my little business will net affect either one of these companies, but I do have friends and I do make buying decisions for my company. Back to AT&T and Samsung is looking good.

• Jeremy says

Agree; I shall be bringing my business to AT&T and Samsung as well. I’ve enjoyed my Thunderbolt overall but I have definitely not enjoyed getting jerked around by HTC and Verizon for over a year. Also I’m still smarting over how long it took them to fix the GPS… remember how this feature was not functional for a few months after the phone was released? Unacceptable!

5. Tony says

My sympathies to HTC Thunderbolt owners; you have been thru hell with your phones and deserve a full refund.

• Adam says

I’ve enjoyed mine, its not stock anymore, so I don’t have many of the issues that others have had. Device wise its only fault is the 4g radio. since it’s a module instead of a feature build into a single chip like the cdma radio, its battery performance has suffered, otherwise it does great for me.

6. Oliver says

I still have some hope for the Thunderbolt. It has a newer processor than the Desire HD. That being said, if I stay with Android, I will only buy Nexus products from now on.

• jay says

thanks Oliver. good advice too; i’m getting my wife the galaxy nexus when she upgrades her droid x next month. i am still holding out hope for ICS on my thunderbolt.

7. Roger says

Hmm I remember the ad for buying this phone– “Its not your next phone its the one after that” How funny does that seem now when we cant even get the next OS?
    I hope HTC reads posts like these because I can clearly say I know what my next phone or the one after that wont be

8. Ann Connelly says

So disappointed with HTC and yVerizon as Thunderbolt was promised to be so great. Since we can not gett ice cream sandwich on this phone what about a new phone with ice cream sandwich? I am quite disappointed.

9. Glenn says

I find amusing that so many people are upset because they can’t have what the want. I was looking forward to the update to but, it is what it is. I don’t want an update that isn’t going to work well either. It’s just a phone. But, I will say that when I upgrade I am not buying another HTC phone.

10. Adam says

I honestly could not care less about the update. I would only expect HTC to fulfill their obligations with the GPL code and release the Radio Interface Layer (RIL), so other developers could provide ICS and JB to the Thunderbolt, without having to resort to reverse engineering.

11. Rick says

I have had fairly good performance from my Thunderbolt ever since I flashed the Infected Eternity Sense 3.5 ROM and used the Rootzwiki Minimalistic 6.2.0 Kernel (with the interactivex Governor)
    battery life is much better. I no longer get the random HTC Sense FC’s and the phone is very responsive when launching apps.