Toshiba Thrive Ice Cream Sandwich Update Now Available

The Toshiba Thrive Ice Cream Sandwich update is now available, way ahead of its expected release date.

Owners of the Toshiba Thrive tablet are now able to pull the Ice Cream Sandwich update, this according Toshiba itself who has provided detailed instructions to Thrive owners on how to pull ICS to their device.

The company also encourages Thrive owners to install the ICS update as it brings a number of enhancements to the table. And while we don’t have a full changelog, we expect that it probably brings some bug fixes to the table as well.

toshiba-thrive-review19-625x395

The Toshiba Thrive ICS update has arrived.

Toshiba lists the enhancements of the update as being:

• Improved video and audio performance
  • Improved camera functions
  • Improved signal strength and connectivity

Those should go a long way in making the 10-inch Toshiba Thrive an even better device than it already is. In addition to those enhancements, Thrive owners are going to benefit from all of the new features that come with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich itself.

They include Face Unlock, the new user interface, a better Browser, and a better Gmail application just to name a few new features that come with Google’s mobile software.

Owners who wish to get these features have two ways of checking for the update:

• Tap on the update message sent by the Toshiba Service Station application to your device, or:
  • From the Home screen, tap on the “Apps” icon in the upper right corner.   Locate the “Service Station” icon and application.  Tap “Check for Updates” and follow the steps.

Toshiba had originally said that the update would be out this fall but fortunately for Thrive owners, the company was able to deliver the update early, something that is a bit of a rarity in the world of Android updates.

Comments

1. Mitzi says

Kinda hard to say it was early when we Thrive owners were told end of Spring & that came & went with no further communication.

2. Barber82 says

Mitzi, you sound very distraught about the great news us “thrive owners” just recieved. My recommendation would be to sell your thrive (that your parents probably paid for) and buy a wonderful iPad. I hear they are really amazing for people who whine when they dont get picked for dodgeball first in gym glass. Or you could just sit your chunky, red headed a$$ on the wall until one of the popular kids feels bad for you and puts you on their team, just to provide a meat shield…

• benny says

How old r u? Must still b in grade school..talking bout dodge ball and calling people names. She was just voicin opinion. Maybe she bought it because update was promised. GrowTF up.

3. Scott Xoom says

Although the Razr got it, my Xoom didn’t get the facial unlock with ICS or Jellybean. Though it’s more of a novelty feature, I hope the Thrive doesn’t suffer the same tablet fate. With or without though, I have a friend who is going to be tickled pink by this update, esp. screen shot capability.

4. donald smith says

don’t believe what you here from toshiba or anyone else, 4.0 ice cream sandwich is not aviable for the thrive, I have tryed the update half a dozen times today, and it says no updates aviable.

• JL says

Try again bro, I’m responding to you with my Thrive and I’m rocking 4.0 ICS, its a roll out. the update becomes available to chunks of users over the course of a week or so. It sounds dumb but it is set up that way so too many don’t try to download at the same time and crash the servers. Be patient, mine came last night, yours will come too.

and fyi to all who are curious, the thrive now feels snappier and no bugs that I have found yet!

5. Tim says

we updated our thrive as well, but now our camera doesn’t work, it was suppose to ENHANCE the camera, not…kill it.

Tried force closing and clearing the cache, took out battery. Nothing, still doesn’t work at all.

6. Sherry says

I am with Tim here but mine is even worse. My camera automatically comes on now every time I turn my tablet on. Checked the app, says starts up by default; can’t change that. Can’t set up email preferences like before. Plus battery power gets sucked out extremely quickly. There’s more, just too frustrated to think right now. Iwish I didn’t update. I liked the older version MUCH better. By the way, does anyone know how to set this thing back to the old version?, Please!!!!!

• eheem360 says

I have the same problem on my end miss I’m trying to find a way to fix the 4.0 update problem ,I want my 3.2 back also lol,I will hit u if I find out something could u please do the same 2 heads are better than 1

• Sherry says

I contacted Toshiba tech support. The “tech” says that apple must have supplied the update because the ice cream sandwich is not compatible with the thrive. Can you believe that?!! They said I can send it in and they can “fix” it for me for approximately $240. Ha! So, that’s where I’m at; Nowhere! Sorry Wish I could help us both and sounds like plenty others. Let me know if you find anything out too. :-)

• benny says

U can’t do it urself. Ur stuck. I hate it too. Constantly crashes or closes browsers….or freezes. Slow too. Think they rushed release just to push out update.

7. Marilou says

successfully updated my thrive to version 4 but i dont see a face unlock, it has a screen capture folder but i dont know how screen capture, any idea?

8. logan says

atleast you can get the ics 4.0..i downloaded the update and tried to install and my tablet locks up. it’s gets about 30% complete..then the “android” falls over with a red hazard over him…what a great update…

ics sucks on all platforms, they deleted the entire 3g system for cell phone, trying to force everyone onto 4g…even if you don’t live in a 4g area. i’m not installing anything else from motorola if i can help it

9. Scott Xoom says

Motorola? Why would you think it’s a Motorola update, it came from Toshiba for the Thrive. For my Xoom and Razr, Jelly Bean and ICS updates came from Motorola. Don’t worry though I’ve got Motorola complaints aplenty.

10. pam says

Since the update I would like to throw my thrive against the wall, is there any way to delete the update.

11. LN says

As a devoted owner of original thrive10″, I am thrilled with new update, that went exactly as promised. However, I keep looking for a simple how to manual, since I’m not a techie. The user guide app, just doesn’t seem to get to the “how to” as much as definitions. The Kindle basic manual I found are the public library, made me wish for the same simple gift for thrive owners. The thrive forum is great but seems to be for “experts” but loses me quickly. There is so much more to learn about this little gem. If a simple “dummies” type text could be added by Toshiba or by those generous thrive experts …. owners like me would gladly help spread the word.

12. Edgar says

Just got ICS 4.0.4 on my thrive in Canada and love out so far, I had about 160 apps before the update and all of them still work. Like the fact that you can now move apps to shared storage and the screen shot feature.
    Thanks Toshiba!

13. antonio says

OK that’s it I’m not updating my Toshiba. I love it too much to let it become a hateful brick.

• Edgar says

Hi Antonio, you should give a try, the performance of tablet improves dramatically, and as I said above I had no problems with any of my more than 160 installed apps. Don’t forget that you are now not limited with 3gb space for apps, you can move them into shared storage and install literally unlimited amount of apps.

14. Robot says

Just updated and now my keyboard won’t pop up… My thrive is completely useless now, thanks Toshiba what a piece of shit.

15. Rachel V says

I too loved my Toshiba Thrive, took it with me everywhere, swore it was by far the best tablet out there. Then I stupidly took the Ice Cream Sandwich update through the Thrive service station, now it’s useless. Force closes CONSTANTLY, about every 5 minutes or less, keyboard doesn’t work half the time or just goes away, you can’t do anything on facebook, no posts, no messages, no sharing, turns itself off. It makes me want to cry, I loved it so much and now I’m back to my netbook. Hopefully they’ll fix the problems or put out a new update. I’m saving money for something new in case Toshiba won’t do anything to fix these issues. Looks like it’s time to give Samsung a try.

• nancy says

Ditto…..and they won’t do anything about it. Tried twice, and I’m still under warranty

16. nancy says

I hate it. Sent it in twice to get it fixed and it still sucks. Don’t update it!!!!! Can’t do anything on my tablet I used to. And the new camera sucks too!!

17. GK says

Based on everything I have read on the net, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR THRIVE,
    if it is working fine now, don’t fix it – if it ain’t broke.

18. Bruce Wayne says

I used to really enjoy my Thrive, but the last several months it has just gotten worse and worse. I would get more response from an Etch-a-Sketch! This is just more disposable tech! Time to shop for something that actually Works!

^^X^^