How to Update to iOS 6

Apple announced a new version of iOS, the software that powers the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad last week.

While it may be too expensive for most people to buy the iPhone 5 off contract that doesn’t mean they need to wait months for the latest features.

Some of these features include PassBook, a new way to keep track of tickets, coupons and loyalty cards that will hit all iOS 6 devices. Other features like turn by turn voice navigation will arrive on the iPhone 4S. The update also brings a better Siri experience to the iPhone 4S and adds Siri to the New iPad. The video below highlights many of these new iOS 6 features.

iOS 6 brings a collection of great new features to the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4th Generation, the iPad 2 and iPad 3rd Generation.

Prepare for iOS 6

While the iOS 6 update process is simple, and there is little chance of anything going wrong, you should take a few steps to make sure your iPhone is ready.

Read: 5 Things to Do Before You Upgrade to iOS 6

The most important step is to make sure the iPhone or iPad is backed up to iTunes or to iCloud so that your information is safe if the update fails. Once that’s done the update to iOS 6 is a snap.

How to Update to iOS 6

Users upgrading from iOS 5 will be able to upgrade Over-the-Air, or without plugging in to a computer. Follow the directions below to update to iOS 6. We recommend connecting to WiFi and doing this with a at least halfway full battery. You cannot use the phone while it is updating, so make sure you are at a point where you don’t need to make a call or send a text before pressing install.

Tap Settings.

Settings

Tap General.

General

Tap Software Update.

Software Update

After selecting software update the screen should load and check for updates.

Update

The iPhone should now show a iOS 6 download option. Tap download and let the update download to the device. When prompted, Tap Install Update.

The update can also be installed by using iTunes.

iTunes Update

Open iTunes and Select the Devices Tab on the the left side of the screen.

After that Select Summary at the top of the window.

Next, Choose Check for Update.

Once that is done the update will begin to install. It is important to keep the iPhone plugged in as the update will not work if the device becomes unplugged until it is completed.

On the first day it can take some time to download the iOS 6 update, so users may need to retry finding the update. If you have troubles, leave the error codes in the comments and we’ll try to help you update to iOS 6.

Comments

1. Julia says

I have the iOS 6 beta on my phone so when I check for an update it says its already up to date. But the beta does not have all the updates. How can I update to the full iOS6??

• jacob says

the update isn’t compatible with the 3rd gen itouch, u should look up the devices that r compatible with ios 6

• jack a says

same with me harsh but the thing is no matter where you look how hard you try there is NO way to install IOS .6 on ipod 3 gen im sorry but i feel your pain

2. Jessica Courtney says

I keep getting an error message I’ve tired downloading from my phone and and itunes and both won’t work any suggestions??

3. james says

after i updated software, it showed a sign saying plug in to itunes i did that now and it says i need to restore so i have tried several times and get the same error code, saying that network has timed out….. ive tried disabling the antivirus and firewall still no luck, need help, cant go on without use of my phone

4. Colleen says

I just tried to update and just keep getting an error message every time I try. Please help.

5. Karlita says

I got the part to plug into itunes and got a message saying that it couldn’t do the restore and now all i have is the black screen and apple signal. Did a hard reset a few times but nothing has worked. HELP!!

6. Nick says

I am tired of downloading, it keep showing error 9006, 345.. after spending hours download and it doesnt resume from were it stops. Damn

7. Samantha says

Where it says download and update its not lit up & I can’t click on it and it says this update requires 2.4 GB of available storage but I have 1.5 GB available and my phones fully charged.

8. Madhan says

I received below error while updating my iphone 4 from ios 5.0.1 to ios 6…

An unknown error occurred (3194)….. Can someone please help me

9. Beges says

me to, i try everything i could (googling), but still, An unknown error occurred (3194)…..

10. Dhruv says

When I am updating my iphone through software update in general settings it downloads it and when it comes to preparing update it gives an error

11. princesgirl says

My 3GS is still the way it was when I bought. Never got around to updating to five. Also, in settings there is no “software updates” button. What ta do?

12. NickycomN says

I got a notification on my settings saying that I have a software update available. I then go into Software Updates and it checks for updates, then comes up with the iOS 6 Downloaded screen. However when I try to press the “install now” button nothing happens. In fact the writing on the button is grey and not black.

Can someone please help??

13. heather says

I have the iphone 4s and every time I try to download the new software it says that the network connection timed out. I tried it through wifi, tried it through itunes and I disabled the firewall and security scanner. please help.

14. deo says

getting a error 3194, my itouch is not jailbroken and it just froze after getting the error, cant open it and is just showing a apple insignia, is it really not compatible with the itouch 3rd gen? if it is then there should be like a warning before it even starts the updates. this is very frustrating.

15. Mandeepkumar says

I got ios 6 in my iphone 4 s software update but when I try it’s show an error at last of downloading pls help me. How do I update this

16. melissa snow says

Why is it that I can find no info on upgrading with iOS 4 on an iPhone 4? I do not have a Software Update selection in Settings, General. Every set of instructions I read assumes this. What do I do if I don’t have this?!

• Jeanne says

Melissa, did you ever get a response to your question? I am having the same problem w/ an inability to update software.

17. Domo says

So i have an iPhone 3G but in my general settings it says nothin about a Software Update at all. How do i change that?

• Melissa Snow says

You are smart to wait, Sohail. I was on the Apple users forums, and there are so many people who have had trouble installing the update to IOS 6, especially people like me who have earlier versions than IOS 5. I upgraded from IOS 4, though I worried about doing so after reading all the horror stories, and it took me 3-4 hours of finessing it. Things did not go smoothly for me (I had to do an update, and then a restore, which was suppsoed to have wiped out phone, but I guess since I did a backup through iTunes before I did the update and restore, I was lucky to get everything back as it was before the update and restore.) It is not seemless process and Apple has some work to do. Wait awhile, then check back on the Apple user communities to see what people are saying.

• Melissa Snow says

I wouldn’t even bother to try. There are too many of us with “legit” iphones having tons of problems with the update. You may end up losing your iphone alltogether.

18. miss pink says

i gss ive tried more than 50 time to update my iphone 4 running ios 4.2.1 n now tried to update to 6 n unknown error 9006 occured.n i dnt even have the software update option in my general app…what should i do.i feel like throwing out my iphone

19. Fred says

I have a Guide for IOS 6 app locked in my App Store download. I can’t upgrade it, delete it or anything. When I try to update it, it just pops right back and says installing but jumps right back to update. I just want it gone.

20. Anish says

after updating to IOS 6.0, my iphone doesnt recognise any sim card. it is asking to change your sim card. there is no network in my iphone after updating to iOS 6.o Please help

21. Pink says

Okay I’m on iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4. N I just can’t update it.it says network times out all the time.even though network is just fine

22. barnabas says

I once tried updating my iphone 3gs but it ended up requiring restore which didnot work out. what should I do??

23. Kheea says

HELP I have a iPhone 3GS 8gb.. There is no update in general. I plugged into iTunes and it’s saying no update. I’m running on 4.3.5 (8L1) don’t have clue wat (8L1) means HELP

24. Tricia cleminson says

On my iPad there isn t a update software tab in-between about and usage how can I update my ipad