The “New” Motorola Needs to Release a Droid RAZR ICS Bug Fix Update

There is a lot of talk today about how fast Motorola got the the Motorola Droid RAZR M Jelly Bean update out to its owners and how its a sign that Motorola is turning the corner as far as major Android updates are concerned. However, there is still another major update that Motorola needs to release to prove that it really has changed, a Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich bug fix update.

Back in September, Motorola took the stage at its Droid RAZR HD press conference and proclaimed that from then on out, it would be a new Motorola, one committed to providing faster updates for its Android devices. And so far, everything has been pretty swell for Motorola device owners.

We saw company officials be open and honest about the Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich delay and shortly thereafter delay it until Q4. Then, soon after, the update itself rolled out to Droid Bionic owners. We saw Motorola swiftly confirm Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates for a number of devices with a policy in place stating that it if failed, it would award owners $100 towards a new Motorola phone.

Read: 5 Lessons Learned from the Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Updates.

DroidRAZR17-620x33011

The Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX badly need an ICS bug fix update. Or Jelly Bean.

And of course, today, we have seen that the Droid RAZR M Jelly Bean update roll out which seems to suggest that change is really taking place at Motorola. But that’s not to say that there is still a bit of a mess that the new leadership really needs to clean up.

Back at the end of June, Motorola and Verizon rolled out the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich updates. And very soon after, the nightmare for many owners began.

Since June and July, owners of these devices have been dealing with an assortment of bugs that Motorola and Verizon have yet to fix. Owners have been reporting numerous bugs over the last few months including major issues with email, sluggishness of the UI, calendar issues, syncing issues, the list goes on.

Read: Droid RAZR HD & Droid RAZR MAXX HD Jelly Bean Updates Appear on Track.

And while we thought that the updates might roll out shortly after the Droid Bionic update, which was virtually flawless, we have not seen anything in regards to a bug fix update for Verizon’s aging Droid RAZR devices. Motorola confirmed Jelly Bean for both devices so it could be that it’s working on those updates rather than a bug fix but even if that’s the case, five months of waiting for a fix for these issues is unacceptable.

It’s great that Motorola is setting itself up for the future, it mustn’t forget about its customers who are still stuck in the past. Hopefully, we see something arrive before 2012, remember it took Verizon more than five months to issue a fix for the Galaxy Nexus, we’re certainly not holding our breath.

Comments

• parth says

I talked to Moto support through twitter, forums and phone and they said there is one and that “they will keep us posted” on its release date…

1. Clellisx says

Beyond irritated with Motorola. The Bionic was a debacle and the razr and razr maxx ics bugs is also unacceptable. Motorola continues to break the Cardinal rule. They aren’t admitting fault let alone offering apologies for the early razrs. Yet they feel busting ass on the latest platforms will redeem them? What this tells me as a consumer is they will continue to neglect the older phones and continue with their current faulty neglectful business model. I for one will not buy another Motorola device until I see some responsibility and business model change. Remember Motorola your future customers are also your current customers.

2. ActionAl says

If Moto doesn’t bug fix my RAZR MAXX by the end of the year, I’m done with them. This has been bulls hit.

3. HiVelocity says

I have a Razr Maxx that was updated to ICS and my wife has a Razr of recent production that came with ICS pre installed. They behave completely differently. Hers is flawless while mine is super sluggish. A fix is long overdue.

4. Jamie says

Motorola and Verizon should be both embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for treating their loyal customers like crap. For them to continuously hold off fixing certain devices and update others to the new JB update is a slap in the face. And their release history of their devices suck as well. Release the the RAZR,RAZR MAXX, RAZR M and now the RAZR MAXX HD all in such a short time frame. It makes a customer feel ripped off as far as device technology. You get upgrade performance with better software and batteries on the newer, prematurely released devices. And what do they say they will do? They will give you a lousy $100 towards a new Motorola device. They should offer a free upgrade to these customers for getting pushed aside so long and having to deal with poor running devices for months longer than they should have.
    I was a longtime VZW and Motorola fan. But after all this crap again about not fixing or correcting problems, both of these companies may be pushing customers away.

• Jamie Grant says

Yeah Bill. Getting tired of Moto and VZW. I have loved Moto’s devices for years now. But their lack to release 1 great device at once is starting to turn me off. These constant releases of up device upgrades within months of the original one is getting pretty annoying as a customer.
        I definitely hear you on Samsung and ATT !

5. Frank Barreca says

appreciate you guys keeping the pressure on Motorola on this issue with articles like this. The RAZR MAXX is a great product, but they put a fly in the ointment.

6. Nick says

Maybe I got one of those later production Razrs with ICS pre-installed, but I’ve had no problems. It did freeze and crash once and I read up on a fix that involved wiping the phones cache partition. Never had an issue since and this thing is so fast.

7. Steve says

For anyone that has a Razr or maxx that came preinstalled with ICS, please post up the nersion your phone is on so we can see if you guys got newer software that they aren’t giving to all the rest of us. Thanks!

• Randy says

I looked at the Verizon store, and it appeared to be 211, just like the OTA ICS update we got (Razr and Maxx) on June 30. I suspected that they fixed some things but deliberately did not change the version number. A couple months ago I finally downloaded the leaked 215 version, which was out by mid-July, and it was MUCH better in terms of connectivity and battery run time. Still some of my issues were not addressed. I have been on the phone with Verizon and Moto MANY hours since early July, and they just recently exchanged my original Razr Maxx for a Maxx HD (with ICS). I’m now back to enjoying my phone, as I did before the ICS update in June. What a s#!tty way to treat customers overall — a very buggy update in June, and most customers are still stuck with it as we approach the end of November! BTW, the Moto people told me that there will not be an ICS bug fix, that it will all be rolled into the JB update. Adobe Flash is not supposed to be supported in the browser as of JB, though, so that is lousy as far as I’m concerned.

Randy

8. jesse says

I got tired of waiting. For Motorola sold my razr i will only buy Google phones from now on i already have 4.2 on my galaxy nexus

9. Bill says

I am starting to wonder if there is going to be a bug fix for our RAZR/ MAXX or are they Motorola/Verizon just putting it off to sell newer/more phones like the movie business does with DVD’s and extended cuts. Just a thought.

10. jerry cox says

Time for all loyal customers of motorola phones and verizon to make a change. Need to get their attention some how that we are serious consumer.

11. JP says

Six months of a two year contract with a phone that doesn’t work. Goodbye Motorola, hello Samsung.