Clicky

HTC Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Update Plans Revealed

By  |  10 Comments

In an update to its Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update Frequently Asked Questions, HTC has revealed which phones likely will and likely won’t be getting the upgrade to Google’s latest piece of software.

On its FAQ, the company revealed several changes that will both please and frustrated owners of its devices. HTC says that it will be prioritizing Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for devices that launched in 2012. That includes the HTC One X and the HTC One S, which both started to receive their Android 4.1 roll outs in Asia. That could also mean that the HTC One V could see it as well along with the EVO 4G LTE and Droid Incredible 4G LTE amongst others.

From there, the company will work its way down and consider devices that launched in 2011 for Jelly Bean. That should mean that the HTC Rezound will be on board for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean as well though it could take awhile.

Read: HTC ThunderBolt Update Coming by Thanksgiving?

RezoundUnboxing07-620x487

The HTC Rezound has a chance to get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

The company also outlines which devices might not get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Devices that possesses 512MB of RAM or under will likely not get the upgrade to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This is good news for HTC ThunderBolt owners as it possesses 768MB of RAM, not 512MB. So, there is hope, though we aren’t holding our breath at this point given the fact that it still hasn’t been updated with Ice Cream Sandwich.

HTC also reveals some common knowledge about the timing of the updates saying that timing is dependent on a number of factors including carriers. For instance, while the HTC One X and One S updates have rolled out in Asia, owners on AT&T and T-Mobile still haven’t received Jelly Bean and don’t currently have any sort of an update timeline to look at.

It also confirms that HTC Sense 4+ will be coming with the Android 4.1 updates.

Read: HTC One X Jelly Bean Update Starts Rolling Out.

So while this is good news for those who own devices that have above 512MB of RAM, it does mean that those who bought HTC devices in 2011 might be in for some long waits for Jelly Bean.

10 Comments

1. Joe

11/12/2012 at 10:36 am

I will be looking for a nexus. HTC need to get it together. I have the EVO LTE, but I’m done with any android set with an overlay. I see why HTC is losing so much money and costomer base.

2. John Reed

11/12/2012 at 10:51 am

The Thunderbolt still hasn’t been updated to ICS as of yet. Even though it will run Jelly Bean, updating it only encourages people to keep their old phones and not upgrade. Also most of the cellphone companies are starting to force people to buy a new phones if they want the new OS. Just look at Apple’s recent move. IOS6 works on a iPad 1. They intentionally did not offer the update to push people into buying a iPad 3.

• Robert

11/12/2012 at 12:15 pm

not to mention that HTC Has not finished the ICS update, so if they are announing the list for JB update, ICS is dead for the rest.

• Roger Tomlin

12/23/2012 at 1:01 am

To be completely honest, I have the Rezound and after using it for awhile all the high tech specs and prices just really aren’t needed on a day to day basis. I just need a few apps on the phone and I’m fine. Tablets are getting cheaper all the time and mine is what I load up with all the games, apps, etc.plus the large screen is nice. But a phone I can get by with a few biz and social apps and can do it on on an older OS. I think most are seeing this too. Tablets have just really negated the need for a quad-core whizbang phone with a small screen, much to the chagrin of cell companies pushing the new kid on the block. Not to mention some are just using tabs with 3g as their communications device.

3. Mark Bolden

11/27/2012 at 10:11 am

WOW.. I have the One S and I have been waiting forever for an update. This is crazy, why are other countries getting it and we are still in waiting? I am ready to chuck this thing and only buy Nexus phones from now on. I am sick of waiting for updates only to hear about delay after delay and promise after promise. Meanwhile the ROM community is pumping out updates left and right. Maybe HTC should just let the Cyanogenmod folks handle all of their updates from now on. They seem to be better at it.

4. Abu

12/15/2012 at 3:56 am

can anyone tell me when is Jelly bean updates coming for HTC Incredible S???
    i am sick of trying updating it unofficial updates..which doesnt really worked !
    please, do reply me ASAP!
    i dont wanna ruin my cell phone :(

5. Xuman

12/24/2012 at 10:35 pm

HTC incredible S also get jelly bean updates. or not…???

6. Xuman

12/30/2012 at 2:33 am

i have htc incredible s. and i want to update jelly bean. is there any updates comes for my set or not….?????

7. Ali KARASU

02/14/2013 at 1:25 am

HTC SENSATION FOR JELLY BEAN IS NOT GOOD…

8. Ehtesham Haque

02/23/2013 at 4:12 am

I left Blackberry… Loving HTC Sensation, but i am using http://www.innovativetxt.com to send messages to my customers wiht my company name.