Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 Update with Note 3 Features Release Rumored

Samsung is testing the Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 update with a November or December release date in the plans, according to the latest leaks from Samsung insiders.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 update will reportedly bring some of the new Galaxy Note 3 features to the Note 2, like the new Air Command S Pen pop up with fast access to S Pen commands and apps.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date is finally here, and it looks like Samsung is pushing this update out a little but to give the Galaxy Note 3 additional time with these exclusive new features in an attempt to convince users to upgrade. This decision could be due to reports of weak Galaxy Note 3 sales in Korea.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is almost a year old, and Samsung skipped the Android 4.2 update for this device to focus on Android 4.3 which Google announced this summer.

According to SamMobile, Samsung is now testing the Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 update, a necessary step towards bringing the update to the Note 2.

December could bring the Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 update release in some regions, with Galaxy Note 3 features.

SamMobile reports that the Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.3 update release is planned for late November or December, which will allow Galaxy Note 3 users to enjoy the new features before Samsung adds them to the older device. This update will also reportedly bring the newest TouchWiz version and updates to Samsung apps.

In addition to the new Android 4.3 features and Galaxy Note 3 features this update will bring support for the Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch that Samsung announced at the Unpacked event with the Galaxy Note 3. This smart watch will then be able to connect to a Galaxy Note 2 and act as a bluetooth headset on your wrist, sync photos and alerts to the Galaxy Note 2 and should be able to use the Smart Relay feature which allows an email being read on the wrist to show up on the Galaxy Note when it is unlocked.

If the official Android 4.3 update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 doesn’t arrive until December for the first devices this could mean an even longer wait for carrier specific versions of the Android 4.3 update which will need to pass additional testing and go through added customizations. Savvy users will likely find Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.3 ROMs in the near future which may be compatible with the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 and other carrier specific models.

Comments

1. Chris says

4.2? Nope we changed our minds after promising it for months! 4.3 in October? Nope now November or December. Wow. Makes me wanna buy another Samsung!

• Tony Lee says

You can have 4.3 now on xda. Probably doesnt suport the spen, I dont know I havent checked. I am seriously considering getting a nexus device next time, they get the update on the very day its released , no waiting!. I want a 5″ or more screen which the new nexus will likely have but the non removable battery is still a deal breaker atm. I have a zerolemon 9300mah battery in my note 2.

• JC says

At times like these the Nexus certainly is alluring, but I don’t think I’ll ever actually get one. I’d need it to have at least a 5″+ screen, which doesn’t seem all that unlikely, but I also really love the S Pen and I doubt that any Nexus device is going to come with a stylus. To me it is ultimately more important for the phone to have all the features I want; if I really get frustrated with the OS releases (or lack thereof) I can always just do it the non-official way. You can’t add a digitizer to a phone that didn’t come with one, though.

• Tony Lee says

Well since I wrote that ive found that zerolemon sell battery cases for the nexus 4 and likely to sell one for the nexus 5 when that comes. So with that option for a removeable battery and if it has a 5″ screen,I no longer require a microsd slot and dont really use my spen but I do have a year left on my contract so maybe considering the nexus 6 :/

2. Chris Charles says

This is the LAST time I ever get another Samsung phone. They treat us Note 2 owners like crap! Wait. Wait. Wait. No update. Screw you Samsung. Over waiting for 4.3 when its been out for ages anyway. Samsung have lost another customer here! No more!

3. John says

When December will come they will probably say the release date……. 1st April, 2014. :-D

4. Pete Villarreal says

all of us Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Buyer’s, we paid a lot of money for these phones and they treat us like crap. I love the phone but I hate how tempting it is to blame getting our updates. it really does suck, the next time I get a phone I’m going back to HTC….

5. Pete Villarreal says

All of us Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Buyer’s, we paid a lot of money for these phones and they treat us like crap. I love the phone but I hate how Samsung delays on getting us our updates. it really does suck, the next time I get a phone I’m going back to HTC….

• JC says

It seems a little naive to buy a non-Nexus phone with the expectation that it will receive timely updates. It is pretty well-known at this point that the manufacturers and carriers are, shall we say, “leisurely” about providing software updates. I don’t think you’re going to have any better luck with any other manufacturer. Either buy a Nexus phone, get used to rooting and updating your device on your own, or just accept that you’ll be behind.

• gingerbreadman says

I must say even a year on the note 2 still surprises me with the futures and compared to my galaxy nexus that has 4.3 and is now just about ready for 4.4 I would say that the note 2 on 4.1.2 still has more to offer if you apply your mind and start using the extras.
        i will wait it out a bit, I very much like all the new stuff on the note 3 so that will be my next phone.

• JC says

I agree, I still love my Note 2. And while the Note 3 looks cool, it sounds like the SGN2 is going to get several of the Note 3′s software enhancements, like Air Command, when they update it. So I’m gonna be happy for a while yet; I don’t at all feel like I’m missing out on anything with it (although I must admit that it might be cool to have the IR blaster, lol).

6. Robert Johnson says

Im thinking if they don’t upgrade our note 2 to 4.3 update ill just switch companies because samsung is really pissing me off

7. Mag says

A year gone still no update, really frustrated with Samsung. they said May/June then october and now Nov/ Dec. May be in Dec, they will say planning to upgrade to 4.4 directly instead. Enough of waiting, Note 2 will be my first and last device with Samsung. Even they provide update or not, iam switching back to HTC.

• Tony Lee says

Htc are no better, they kept us hanging on for the promised 4.0.4 update for the desire hd and eventually cancelled it all together. Getva nexus if you want immediate uodates

8. Bonita says

Everyone quit your crying about the updates. I’m sure the few of you upset about an update will hardly be missed if you decide to switch devices. You all might as well have iphones where they push out the updates to you with tons of bugs and glitches that need fixes.

9. Sach says

My hair become gray waiting for Note 2 updates…….. c’mon Samsung, you can’t do this to us.

10. Mohamad Hussein says

Truly sad. Even though I understand how much effort goes in the updates, timeliness shows respect to the customers by both the manufacturer and the carrier. Unfortunate that neither provide this courteously!

11. Alan says

Bottom line… If you want updates get a nexus device. The companies don’t care. If you think from their point of view, they got your money already so rolling the updates out means they are loosing money. What they are hopping is the next version of their device has more crapware hopefully one that you like…

As a note 2 owner I like the hardware but like everyone else wishes to get an update soon… I mean common the phone is still on 4.1.2 and 4.4 is around the corner. So I say for our next phone let’s vote with our wallets and move to the nexus device or heck even an Apple, at least you know you can get the latest OS for your device

12. Roger T Yokubaitis says

Even after Samsung releases 4.3 for the Note II, AT&T will have to perform its customizations for its Note II’s and that always adds a couple of months to the time line, but AT&T pretty much gets things correct.

13. gingerbreadman says

you are all loosers, if you think that switching to a nexus of iphone is going to be cool, you are in for a surprise. you wil miss you note 2 on 4.1.2 way after 5.0 or ios 10 is out with all the extras that samsung added to the note2. only the note3 is better and has more. so if you dont use the extras then rather just buy a nokia 3310