Gamers hoping to unwind from a long day of work with some GTA Online gameplay with friends may want to reschedule for later this week as GTA Online error messages are more likely than planning missions and fighting cops.
The most common GTA Online issue is the, “Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable Error” which greets players while trying to jump straight into GTA Online, but we also experienced the same GTA Online Black Screen error as this morning, when trying to start playing GTA Online using the character selection wheel inside of the GTA 5 story mode.
Rockstar is tracking the various GTA Online issues and as of 5:30 PM Eastern on October 1st, continues to look into at least 9 common GTA Online errors that users are experiencing. The GTA Online errors are hitting gamers on PS3 and on Xbox 360. Here is a list of the latest issues you may run into while playing GTA Online.
- Occasional “Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable” error message
- Freezing sometimes while loading into first race in GTAO with “waiting for other players” on the screen
- Intermittent “Failed to Host a GTA Online Session” error messages
- Race Corona (start area, marker) occasionally not showing up for first race
- Errors saying “Timed out when matchmaking for a compatible GTA Online Session to join”
- Occasional errors about jobs failing to start or load
- General issues with the Social Club site and Social Club features (slow loading,failed logins, emails not arriving, etc). For more information on Social Club status, please see: http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200357093
- Misc. network and server-related error messages, disconnections, or cloud server errors
- Errors saying “Mission Failed” as soon as the mission begins during a session
Gamers can sign up for email notifications when GTA Online issues are resolved or for more information on GTA Online errors when Rockstar discovers what is behind the problems.
Based on our survey of nearly 900 gamers, the GTA Online errors are the most common message for users today with 92% of users reporting they cannot play GTA Online on October 1st while 6% could join the game, with some issues. 15 survey respondents were able to play GTA Online. While this survey is likely weighted in favor of users who had problems and went online to look for a solution, reports on Twitter indicate GTA Online errors remain a problem for many.
Why is GTA online not working this is all I had to look forward to today
— jake (@jakeyP17) October 1, 2013
Possible GTA Online Fix
Though we could not play GTA Online yet today despite multiple attempts, users may be able to avoid the GTA Online black screen and get online by picking the Online option from the pause menu. While using this method we could accept terms and agreements and try to connect multiple times, instead of quitting and restarting GTA 5.
Pause GTA 5, move all the way to the right on the Online tab and select it. Once selected, choose Play GTA Online or Choose Character to start. If you see the “Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable Error” retry until you connect, or until you give up.
In the recent update Rockstar apologized for the issue and asks for patience while the company works to fix a host of GTA Online errors.