Samsung Galaxy Note 2 & Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Updates Detailed

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean updates have been detailed today by Samsung ahead of their expected arrival before the end of the year. While this isn’t the first time that Samsung has confirmed the two updates, it is the first time that Samsung has detailed some of the features that will be on board.

Back in September, Samsung confirmed that it would be rolling out updates for the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2, updates that would bring support for the Galaxy Gear accessory that launched alongside the Galaxy Note 3. While Samsung didn’t explicitly say that the update would be Android 4.3, it was clear, given its Bluetooth Low Energy support, that it would be the update.

Expect an improved camera with supporting software.

After weeks of rumors, Samsung finally rolled out the Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update, an update that, unsurprisingly, brought support for the Galaxy Gear. The update hasn’t rolled out in the United States just yet but we expect the software to arrive at some point in the next few months across all carriers.

A few short days ago, we told you that Samsung had confirmed Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 for the first time. Samsung’s admission also came on the same day that Australian carrier Telstra claimed that the Galaxy Note 2 update would roll out in November with November 11th being the target date for its arrival for testing.

Today, Samsung has taken it a step further and announced specific details for both Android 4.3 updates saying that the updates will indeed get Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with Galaxy Gear support and that they will arrive with:

• Samsung KNOX*, a secure and comprehensive mobile solution for enterprises and consumers. (*Galaxy S III 3G version will get Samsung KNOX with a platform security only in select countries.)
  • Smart Switch to seamlessly transfer content from other smartphones to Samsung devices.
  • HomeSync to store, share and enjoy content securely wherever you are.
  • Group Play 2.5 with shared video support.
  • New capabilities provide easier text input, and updated graphics and multimedia.

Overall, these are both shaping up to be key updates for the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2, it’s now just a matter of time before they roll out. Rumored timelines have both suggested November so it’s possible that it will only be a few more weeks before these updates roll out.

Samsung will also be upgraded a host of other devices with Galaxy Gear support, through a non-Android 4.3 update that will roll out sometime this month. That list of devices includes Galaxy S4 mini, S4 Active, Mega 5.8, Mega 6.3, and S4 zoom. No word on when they will be getting their upgrade to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.

Comments

1. dewgomes says

Come on samsung…..i am never goin to buy another SAMSUNG Smartphone in the future….um goin for the NEXUS 5…bye bye to my GS3 and NOTE II

• Jimmy Mac says

bye bye SD expansion for memory too……why not just get a custom ROM if you can’t wait, there are plenty of 4.3.1 ROMs about…

• Bugfan1 says

Well you just may not have the patience to wait just a few more weeks. And that’s your choice. But you are in my opinion, making a BIG mistake in getting rid of your Galaxy S-3. I have it & I also have the I-phone 5. I love BOTH of these phones. And I have a friend that was going to get the Galaxy S-4 but the lady at Best buy said she would advise her to save the extra money & get the 3; instead. Wasn’t much difference she said. She also had the 3. The Galaxy phones are AWESOME. Samsung has NOT had a quarter loss the entire year. I wonder if Nexus can say that. JMHO.

2. Shay says

I’m So tired of all these Stories about Samsung releasing updates; just release the dog on thing

• karen says

Yes they never really say when and what in detail. Its hard to know whether or not to buy the note 3 or not. I want alot of the stuff from the s4… air gestures and such; trying to get thru play store doesnt work well. I wont buy new until i find out what exactly the update will have.

3. Relax people says

the only phone that has updates fast is the google phones
    remember Samsung will be the same as HTC and LG…
    Since they add their own bloat ware in the OS.
    So enjoy moving to another phone and bitching again about the OS updates. Come on… really… your phone works, get over it…. It will be here soon.

4. tony says

Quit releasing a phone every year and update what u have then release your powerhouse. Very few on contract buys every new phone that comes out. Does everyone buy a new pc that arrives???? NO!!!!!!

5. Dan says

I’m getting a message on my phone that an update is available. Is this the new 4.3 update already??? BTW, my carrier is ATT.

6. Jeff says

I won’t mind the update, but I can’t understand why people are upset about it. The phone will continue to work just fine. I’m happy with my S3, and hope to be more pleased with the update. But will it really make a difference to us?

7. ozzy says

Samsung are great phones. Yeah theres a bit of wait, but whats the rush.It will come when Samsung think the software has no issues. If you get the updates quick and theres bugs you will still complain. If theres a delay you will still complain. Theres no win here. Have you ever heard the saying? Everything happens for a reason.

8. joe O'connor says

I don’t care no more about the update im sick of hearing it and told every month its coming next month. Next phone Google

• karen says

Everyone says google updates fast.
        Do they make a phone that run on Verizon with at least a inch screen or bigger. I can live without the S Pen.

9. Steve Irwin says

I like updates, but I’m not going to complain about it like the rest of the cry baby’s on here. Yeah it’s slow rolling out, but definitely worth the wait with what Samsung adds to it. Multi Window, the pen features on the Note series, and so on. I could never buy a none Galaxy series phone again. I bought a nexus, and quickly sold it when I found out my favorite features are for Samsung device’s only.

10. DOW LON Ngu says

What’s the problem here?. Impatient dor the update to come? . For me, I won’t conplain that the update is not out yet and neither should you. Just be patient please. What is the rush about gettin the updates?

11. Mr. Westside says

I just want the drama shot camera mode but u understand thay update will never happpen. Well when the s4 drops its price a little more I’m on it.

12. Aaditya says

they never gonna give any galaxy s4 features to s3, then why this 4.3 update, its just an bullshit, nothing is new in this update, we want s4 features on s3..

13. francos says

Hope the update will roll soon and at that time we will discover and enjoy all new features that it has.
    Wish the best for samsung and push forward beyond the horizons amd upward beyond the skies and bring us more and more updates and make us enjoy and entertain
    Thanks samsung

14. Matt says

Hi….why are you angry about the update being late? There will be no major difference like the apple did with ios7. I have the note 2 and am very happy with it….if I want change I will buy the note 3 not go on forums and critisize samsung cause they do a perfect job. Thx

15. gary smith says

Does anyone know if the latest 4.3 test releases include saving apps to external SD for the Note 2? (i.e exactly as they have done for the S4 after release?)

16. Travis says

Will this update fix the many many issues on my Sprint Galaxy S4′s last update MF9? Such as horrible battery life (from 100 to 25 in less than 4 hours even with juice defender ultimate on), MIPerror at every boot, slow and laggy screen, autodim not working correctly, bluetooth wifi 3g 4g and from 5 bars to no bars for no apparent reason. Yes I did a factory reset and took it to both Samsung at Best Buy and the Sprint store. They both told me they don’t know and wouldn’t fix nor replace it.

• Jonnz says

Sounds like straight bullshit Travis, if BB can’t fix it, they will replace it on the spot.

17. cj says

Hate to tell you but I had a nexus s and have a nexus 7 and the only bonus to nexus is pure android and easy to root. Their updates are worse than this. Read up on how long it took the nexus s to get ICS. It started rolling out then they stopped it for over 2 months.