How to Use Emoji on the Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy S4

If you want to use the emoji keyboard on the Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note 3 you don’t need to install a new keyboard and give up the nice Samsung keyboard that is included out of the box, you only need to know where to tap to switch over to the emoji keyboard.

Emoji are a more advanced form of the smiley or emoticon that you probably already use in text messages and emails. These small colorful faces and icons allow users to be more expressive than a simple wink with dozens of small icons that cover faces, buildings, activities, symbols and more.

Read: 50 Galaxy S5 Tips & Tricks

Thanks to recent updates by Google, you can even send emoji from an Android phone to an iPhone and the characters will show up just like you typed them. The emoji may look slightly different, but a shoe will still be a shoe and a wink will still be a wink.

Here's how to use the Emoji Galaxy S5 keyboard, which also lets you use Emoji on the Note 3 or Galaxy S4.

Here’s how to use the Emoji Galaxy S5 keyboard, which also lets you use Emoji on the Note 3 or Galaxy S4.

Android 4.4.2 includes a built-in Emoji keyboard and Samsung includes this in the recent Android updates so that it is easy to send from the Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3.

How to Use Emoji on Galaxy S5, S4 & Note 3

There is no need to turn on or install an emoji keyboard on any of these Samsung devices, but you will need to know how to find the emoji keyboard. In typical Google fashion the emoji keyboard is not available inside every app and it is not in the same place in every app either.

We’ll show you how to use it in the most common apps and where to look if you don’t see the emoji keyboard option on the Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note 3.

In the short video above you’ll see how to access the emoji keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy S5. This process works the same on the other Galaxy devices running on Android 4.4.2 or Android 4.4 KitKat.

Because the emoji support is built-in you will also be able to see the emoji that other send to you. There is no need to install a special emoji keyboard from Google Play to make this work. This is built-in to the main Samsung Keyboard so that users can enjoy the other Samsung keyboard features like predictive typing, personalized predictions and the ability to trace words.

Here is a step by step guide to switch to the emoji keyboard on the Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5.

Tap on any text field that is not restricted to an email address or a phone number. When the main keyboard comes up you need to look for a small microphone icon to the left of the space bar.

Tap on the Microphone icon and then on the Smilie face.

Tap on the Microphone icon and then on the Smiley face.

Tap and hold on this to open up a layer of options for the Samsung keyboard. This should look the same on the Note 3 and on the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S4. The second to last icon is a smiley face. Tap on that to open up the Galaxy S5 emoji keyboard.

From there tap on any icon to add it to a message. Tap on the small icons at the very bottom to see different groups of emoji.

This will now show you a plethora of emoji character to choose from. Scroll up and down to see more options and tap on the small buttons at the bottom to see additional groups of characters, figures and symbols.

Galaxy S4 Emoji Keyboard Problems

Some users report that they cannot access the Galaxy S4 emoji keyboard using the directions above. After testing I found that it only shows up in certain text fields, but it should work in Facebook and Messaging at the very least. The photo below shows it as an option on the Galaxy S4 in the Facebook app.

The Galaxy S4 Emoji keyboard should be easy to access, but it is not working for everyone.

You need to press and hold on the microphone icon to get this to work. If it still does not show up, please leave a comment with your carrier and your version of Android and I will try to find out more about what is going on. Go to Settings -> More -> About Device -> Software Version to see what software you are running. This should work on Android 4.4.2.

When you are done and ready to go back to a regular keyboard tap on the ABC on the bottom left. If you switch between the app you are using emoji in and another app it will default back to a regular keyboard. It should also switch back to the regular keyboard after you leave and come back to the same messaging app.

Use more advanced emoji on the Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note 3.

Use more advanced emoji on the Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 or Galaxy Note 3.

You can always enter the emoji one by one to punch up a message filled with text, but after a while you may find yourself using more advanced emoji by adding line breaks to create small characters. If you are talking with someone that loves using emoji it’s possible to have a long conversation with the emoji only.

These could also be a good way to make sure the recipient knows you are joking around, as sometimes text messages lose the meaning and come off as too serious.

It’s a good idea to limit the use of emoji while talking with co workers or a boss, unless they initiate the emoji usage. Text speak is bad enough at work, but an emoji laden email or text to a superior is even worse.

Comments

1. Rhonda Klimt says

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just got my Note 3 on Monday and was going nuts trying to get the emoticons. I hate the idea of bogging down my phone with a bunch of downloaded add-ons. There seemed to be nothing simple like the emoticon keyboard I had on my iPhone 5. It turned out the emoticons were there all along. Thank you for showing how to access them. Any idea how to permanently disable that God awful “My Magazine” thing??? I go in and disable it but it comes back every time.

2. Earl Hunt says

The smiley face does NOT appear on my S4 when going from the microphone icon. Bad info.

3. STeague says

Earl Hunt…you have to hold down the microphone icon, don’t use tap or press it….it took me a while as well to figure that out!. Good luck :)

4. Amanda says

Also lacking the smiley icon. I am updated to 4.4.2 and can find the rest of the “menu” but not the emoji portion. Any idea?

• zak says

The newest update isn’t an android update just a software one from Samsung. You might have 4.4.2 and still not be updated

• Nadine says

Yes, the the smiley option is definitely nowhere to be found on my s4 either. It says I have the latest update.. I’m not sure how these updates work, but I hope we get access to emojis soon- it’s kind of pathetic how much I want them!

5. Eddie says

Why hold the mic button when you can just click on the smiley face icon under the paper clip icon on the left side, you can even see it in the screenshots

6. Jeremy Barnes says

Does the emoticons come up on swype keyboard? I see on the regular google keyboard

7. Tina says

Help pls!!! I have tried this method but it keeps telling me ‘converting to mms’. i would like to be able to use the emojis in a normal sms

8. katrina says

I have a Galaxy S4 which ALWAYS converts to MMS. I have had a play on the S5 and it doesn’t convert it on that, whilst using the exact same method.

9. stephanie says

When someone texting me I don’t see the emjoi on my phone and I have the s5 it shows up like this :”^) and not like 😀 how can I get it to show up

10. Celine Ilia Azur Pinault says

When i press and hold the microphone button the only icons that pop up, are the mic, the swipe, the clipboard, the picture, setting, and to witch to a floating key board. I just got the s4 phone four days ago and it is updated. I can’t find it, I am following all the steps in the video. I really dont wanna use any other texting method besides messaging, and the other key boards suck. HELP ME OUT HERE! (:

11. Tyson Heggie says

I can’t find it ether. I also don’t have a microphone only a gear. I have the 4.4.2 on my phone and really want it. Help please

12. Tyson Heggie says

I can’t find it ether. I also don’t have a microphone only a gear. I have the 4.4.2 on my phone and really want it. My carrier is Bell. Help please

13. kurtis malicm says

Same issue, no smiley face is any setting also not avail be for download in the list of dictionaries. Please help I’m trying not to download a new keyboard and still have the emojis

14. Brittney Jaime says

Yay… Thanks so much! Happy day for emojis on Android!! As stated above, make sure your input method is Samsung Keyboard.

15. Emily says

Hi there, I love emoji’s & am so happy to have them since I made the switch from iphone almost 12 months ago. I am curious if u can add emoji’s to a contacts name (not phone number) in contacts on S4? I have been fiddling for a while & cant seem to figure out if it can be done?

16. itzel says

Hi! I have the s4 4.2.2 and i can not see the emojis. I already tried the steps you said. Please help me

17. Reilley Blue says

Is it possible to make the emoji key permanent where the microphone key is? Rather than continuously holding it down and switching to emojis when they are wanted?

18. Lee says

I can see the emjois, but I have no mirophone, and when I try sending it, it converts to MMS. How can I stop this?

19. Margaret says

A few steps should be added to the beginning of this post.
    First, go to your general settings for your phone. Then select my device at the top and scroll down until you see the input and control section. Under input and control you will find “Language and input” click that and you will find a section that says keyboards and input methods. Make sure that neither Swype nor google voice typing are checked. This makes the samsung keyboard your default keyboard. Now you can continue with the directions from this tutorial.
    Hopefully this helps!

20. Alex says

Doesn’t work on my S4 after applying these steps.
    My carrier is Rogers and I am running android version 4.4.2.
    Great video though!

21. Ann says

Im having a problem with the S4 as well.
    Carrier is ROGERS and the version I have os 4.4.2 :/ kind of frustrating

22. Korin says

My emojis still do not show up.
    Carrier: Rogers
    I gave the Samsung galaxy s4 and I have the software 4.4.2

23. bryan says

Doesn’t work either. I have an S4 (SGH-i337m) with android 4.4.2 and the carrier is Claro Puerto Rico.

24. Brooke says

This does not work on my S4 it’s 4.4.2 and is Telus. I have been over every step a million times and it’s not there.

25. Melissa says

Same… my phone is updated and using the Samsung keyboard and still can not use the emoji’s.

26. kate says

Samsung galaxy s4 from telus. Says im using 4.4.2 but I don’t seem to be able to get emojis anywhere. Help please!

27. Ian Knight says

Same problem as everyone else, running s4 from Bell, updated to 4.4.2, but no smiley icon when you press and hold the microphone button. Everything else is there. Have tried multiple other settings, all without success. Any ideas??????

28. Kevin says

I have all the recent updates and samsung keyboard is default but when I hold the microphone a little tool bar comes up but the emoji isnt there. I have a Samsung galaxy s4 and am with mts

29. Luvmygalaxy says

This worked great! I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 for T-Mobile and I had outdated software (which I did not know). I downloaded an update package with is under Settings>More>about device>Software update. This will update your phone software to the most current version. Before doing this, the instructions on accessing the emojis did not work for me. After the update I can! :) #Happy

30. jackie says

Tengo el mismo problema he probado mil cosas por favor ayudenme. Creí que con esta actualización quedaría pero no. ; (

• Daniel Garrido says

Tengo el S4 de Nextel y me pasa lo mismo tenia un S4 Active y si tenia los imoticones pero en este no

31. carole bellefleur says

My carrier is BELL, I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the 4.4.2 update and it is not working, I don’t have that option.

32. Vlad Delone says

Hi my carrier is FIDO and i have the latest update on my s4. However, i’m not able to see the smiley icon but i see the other ones.

33. Jessica says

How do I stop it from changing to a MMS everytime I use a emoji while texting? I have a samsung note 3

34. Brittany says

I thought it didn’t work for my S4 at first, but then I realized I needed to change the keyboard from the Swype keyboard to the default Samsung keyboard. Now it works! Thanks for the info. 😃

35. Bailey J says

I updated my phone and it worked with the emojis but it converts to mom’s message. How do I keep it to sms? Please help, I don’t like this!

Before I learned about this I had downloaded the hand cent sms emojis and it always worked well.

36. colin says

I have the Samsung galaxy s4 with fido there no emoji icon at all in messaging or Facebook or email at all

37. cass says

I have the galaxy s4 and it is updated to 4.4.2 and I am with Rogers but the smiley icon is nowhere to be found I even removed swype and the google voice typing to make the samsung keyboard my default keyboard but still… nothing

38. Tracy says

Does not work on my Galaxy S4. I have no smiley option to select, its missing. I rang Samsung and found out that this model numer 19507 seems to be lacking.
    I’m not happy as the display model in my local phone shop had them so thats what I thought I was getting.

39. N says

I don’t have the microphone option or smileys in the gears.
    It’s updated to 4.4.2
    Carrier koodo

40. natalia says

Hola yo no tengo ningun emjoi y mi celular tiene la versión 4.4.2 no se a capasa ta tengo muchos días y nada de nada ya investigue cheque ta le di en el icono del teclado y tampoco no me sale la carta de emjoi

41. .. says

My s4 iso updated to 4.4.2 but I still don’t have the smiley faces and I don’t have the microphone

42. Harrison says

I’m with Rogers and I can’t use the emojis, it doesnt even show up for Facebook. I’m using a Galaxy S4 and I have the 4.4.2 update. I hold the microphone and it shows everything except the emoji button.

43. Alex says

Hi everyone who is having this problem – do not worry, you are NOT crazy. I called Samsung support and they informed me that when the new 4.4.2 update was made that many devices encountered a glitch removing the emoticons/emojis. I spent a whole hour on my S4 after watching a friend with an S4 mini effortlessly text me emojis before calling Samsung. They said a new update is in the works that should fix this issue for those of us unlucky enough to have them missing. Hope this helps!

44. Jiya says

It’s not working for me.. when I press and hold on the microphone, these are the only things that come up: the settings, camera, option for normal and floating,writing keyboard, and yeah, I think that’s it.. My carrier is Fido. Version 4.4.2 . Please help. I really Want to be able to use emojis. Thanks so Much in advance for Your help!!

45. demara says

How long until we can use the emojis. Have done all the steps and made sure I was up to date and they are still not anywhere on my phone. Makes me very sad

46. Izahbel says

I’m with Bell, I have the 4.4.2 update & a Galaxy S4. When I hold the microphone button it doesn’t show up. I can see Emoji’s fine, even copy and paste them! But they aren’t there on my phone? :S

47. Kayla says

After doing a software update, the instructions from the video worked prefect. The only problem I’m having is when using them in a text, if converts it to a mms message instead of sms… Does anyone know how to fix this? ?? Plead help! !!

48. william says

I used to ba able to make the emoji the default and not the stupid voice to text..can that still be done

49. Who knows says

How can I get the smileys in a contacts name?
    I know I can copy it in, but is there not a other way

50. Grant Turner says

My device is a galaxy s4 runing 4.4.2 and my carrier is Telus. Ive tried the holding the microphone button and looking through the settings but I havent had any luck

51. Grant Turner says

(I forgot to turn on the notify for follow up comments)

52. Melissa says

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s4 4.2.2 version and it does not give me an option to use emojis the only way i can acess emojis is by downloading a new keyboard. I do not want to use when i know there is a much easier way to do it.

53. Wanda says

I was having the same problem with my S4 but after reading Amanda A’s message from May 20th I am happily using emojis. 😎
    Open settings, my device, language&input, default, change default setting to Samsung keyboard. … Then and only then go back to your keyboard and press and hold the settings symbol on the keyboard and you to will have them. 😃😃

54. Helen Harris says

I get all the symbols on the microphone button except the smiley face. My software is Android 4.4.2 and I can’t figure out why its not there.

55. Marcus says

My keyboard doesn’t have the small microphone It has the settings icon and even if I hold it the emojis don’t pop up my galaxy s4 is up to date at version 4.4.2 and my carrier is bell. I have no idea what’s wrong.

56. sara says

I have Samsung galaxy s4 and it’s android version is 4.4.2 kit kat but there’s no emoji :|

57. allison says

I have had my s4 just returned from repairs and they had to update so I know it has the latest update available. And I can still not access emoji never have been able to since I have had phone

58. kailee says

Can someone please tell me why whenever I send an emoji it makes it a mms not an sms. Someone please help! 😐

59. Raven Wallace says

Hi! I can’t get emoji’s to pop up. When I select the microphone button, where emojis should be (between settings and keyboard button) it isn’t there. I can recieve and view emojis, i can copy and paste a text message using emojis and send that without a problem, but I can’t find them as an option on my keyboard to click and select emojis. My carrier is PC Mobile, and I have version 4.4.2

60. Kayla says

Hi I have galaxy s4, updated, but I cant switch my keyboard to Samsung. Hubby has same phone he get emoj:(

61. ashlyn says

I have the latest version on my s4 and its on samsung keyboard but i dont have any smiley face when i hold down my settings/mic button. Its frustrating.

62. Karla says

I’m having the same problem. I bought the Galaxy S4 today and it doesn’t have the emoji icon at all, there’s no happy face option there. I’m running 4.4.2 with Virgin.

63. Antoine says

Same thing here.. S4 SHG-i337M running 4.4.2 with Telus :( Funny thing.., I had an S4 mini a week ago and the smley icon was showing up just fine.

64. nil says

“Because the emoji support is built-in you will also be able to see the emoji that other send to you. ” No I can’t.

65. marissa says

Does work with my galaxy s4 with Telus in Canada. It worked on my S3 but not my s4 and it’s all up to date.

66. r says

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 model SGH 1337M updated to 4.4.2. Carrier is Rogers. I tried all the suggestions and NO smiley face appears after long pressing the mic key. Called up Samsung and the only response was ” sorry we’ve had no inquiries about this, the s4 doesn’t come with emojiis and neither does the s5″. I am beyond frustrated.