It’s almost impossible to have a child this holiday season and not have heard of Hatchimals. They’re the must-have item this holiday season, with everyone battling each other at stores to get their hands on one. Since launching earlier this year, Hatchimals have spawned fan sites and inspired entire YouTube channels dedicated to Hatchimals cheats and tips.
Hatchimals are creatures loaded with sensors. Through sounds and color changes, they communicate their feelings. It’s up to their owners to raise and nature them. That’s after they’ve incubated them long enough that they feel comfortable coming out of the egg that they come in. They get their name from that egg; they actually peck their way through it.
On paper, Hatchimals sounds pretty simple. They can be. Kids nuture the egg and teach them the things that they need to know through games after they’re out. That doesn’t mean that the entire process is straight forward. Here’s the information your child needs to begin to care for their new Hatchimal.
Hatchimals Cheats and Tips: Knowing the Life Stages
Hatchimals are meant to replicate owning a new pet without necessarily springing for all the things that come along with one. To achieve this, Spin Master programmed each of the Hatchimals with what we’d generally call a life cycle. Inside their eggs and fresh out of their eggs, Hatchimals know very little. As they’re played with longer, they mature. When their lights glow in rainbow colors, they’re ready to transition to a new life stage.
- The first life stage is the Egg stage. By touching, tilting or tapping with the egg-shell, you nature it.
- Life stage two is Hatching. During this stage the Hatchimal starts to break through its shell. Owners should rub the egg to encourage it to come out.
- Life stage three is considered the Baby stage. The Hatchimal has to be fed, and cuddled with, according to Spin Master.
- In life stage four, Hatchimals learn to walk and talk. They also learn the Dance game.
- The fifth life stage lets players unlock new games. It’s called the Kid stage.
Hatchimals Cheats and Tips: Which Eye Colors Mean What
Besides the sounds, you have to pay attention to a Hatchimal’s eyes to know exactly what they need or what they want. If you know what each of the eye colors represent, it’s much easier to manage a Hatchimal’s life stages.
- When a Hatchimal’s eyes are pink, it wants you to listen to its heartbeat. You can do so by holding the bottom of its egg or petting its head.
- Red eyes means that the Hatchimal is upset about something. Rub the bottom of the egg or pet its head.
- Orange means that your Hatchimal needs a burp. Simply pat the bottom of the egg or tilt it forward and pet its head. If the eyes are flashing orange your Hatchimal has the hiccups. You’ll need to make a loud noise to scare it.
- Yellow means that its autonomous and will interact with its owner in any way. Think of it as allowing your pet to roam your home on its own. You can play with it during this time.
- When a Hatchimal’s eyes are green, it’s sick. Rub the bottom of the egg or tilt it. If it’s outside of its egg, tilt it or squeeze its stomach.
- Light Blue eyes means that the toy is cold. You’ll need to rub its egg, or rub its head and squeeze its stomach.
- Scared Hatchimals will have dark blue Rub or tap on the bottom of the egg. Pet its head if it’s outside of the egg.
- Your Hatchimal is hungry when its eyes glow purple. Tilt it forward.
- White eyes means your Hatchimal is about to go to sleep. To wake it you touch the base of the egg or press its chest.
When Hatchimals don’t glow, they’re listening. Just tap on the egg.
Hatchimals Cheats and Tips: All the Hatchimals Games
Some people don’t realize this when they first get their Hatchimal, but the toy comes preloaded with a smattering of games. This way, owners can have fun with their Hatchimal outside of taking care of it. You switch through all the different games that your Hatchimal has to offer by pressing its stomach. To select one, you press its head.
Some of the games, require specific stages.
Learning to Talk is represented by the teal color. It’s available in Life Stage 4 and Life Stage 5. You press and hold its stomach to record your voice.
Learning to Walk is represented by the flashing white. It’s available in Life Stage 4 and Life Stage 5. Clapping once makes the Hatchimal take a step forward. Capping twice makes it spin.
Flashing purple is Dance. Also available in Life Stage 4 and Life Stage 5. It’ll play music and dance to that music. Pat its head for a drum beat.
Tag is flashing red. Just pat the Hatchimal on its head. This is only for Stage 5.
Hatchimals can pay Simon Says using the flashing blue color at Stage 5. Pat its head or squeeze its stomach.
Flashing green lets it make silly sounds. When it makes a sound, you have to clap using that same pattern. This is Life Stage 5 only.
Flashing orange lights your Hatchimal turn into a psychic. You ask it a question with a yes or no answer and it responds.
You exit games entirely by selecting the flashing yellow option.
At any time, whether in its egg or outside, you can turn off your Hatchimal entirely. Simply hold it upside down for longer than 7 seconds. Good luck with your new Hatchimal.
Hatchimals Cheats and Tips: How to Hatch a Hatchimal
Some users report that their Hatchimals have failed to start breaking their eggs, even when it’s clear that they should. Spin Master is still working on the problem, but already recommends users help the digital pet break the bottom and most of the top portion of the egg. The company also notes on the toy’s support site that you have to be holding the Hatchimal for it to continue the hatching process.