The iPhone Dev Team offers a new iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch that automatically installs the Cydia app store for an easier, faster iOS 6 jailbreak process with the latest Redsn0w jailbreak tool.
Just days after Apple released iOS 6 in September, the iPhone Dev Team released an iOS 6 jailbreak for A4 devices, and now there is an updated jailbreak that simplifies the process.
There is still no iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, but users with older devices can now upgrade to iOS 6 and jailbreak without the need to use terminal or the command line to install Cydia. This is still a tethered jailbreak, which means users cannot restart the iPhone without being attached to a computer.
Jailbreaking the iPhone or iPod Touch allows users to run apps and tweaks that are not approved by Apple. This makes it possible to change the look of the iPhone and to run apps that do more than Apple or carriers want. Jailbreaking is legal, but it will void the warranty through Apple. This is not an issue for most users as it’s possible to un-jailbreak the iPhone with a simple restore, but it’s worth mentioning.
How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS & iPod Touch
1. Backup the iPhone or iPod and upgrade to iOS 6 and that the computer is running the latest version of iTunes.
3. Extract the file to the desktop.
4. Open the redsn0w application.
- Ctrl Click on Mac (if on Mountain Lion)
- Right click and Run as Administrator on Windows.
5. Connect the iPhone to the computer and click on Jailbreak.
6. Place the device into DFU mode, as shown in the video below and the on-screen instructions.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to jailbreak the iPhone 4 and install Cydia.
8. Click on Just boot.
- In the future, to restart, connect the iPhone to the computer, open Redsn0w, click Extras and Just Boot.
Enjoy the iPhone 4 jailbreak for iOS 6. This is a beta release, but appears fairly stable based on reactions on Twitter. GottaBeMobile nor the iPhone Dev Team are responsible for issues with the iOS 6 jailbreak.
We may see an untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 4 soon, but an iOS 6 jailbreak for the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and new iPad could take some time.
Stay tuned for the latest jailbreak news.