I spent the weekend camping with my son’s Boy Scout troop. I was hoping to come home to find a Lenovo box in my living room, and I was not disappointed.
After getting a shower, I opened up the box to find a bright red IdeaPad U110. As I took it out of the box, I was shocked at how light it was. I mean, really, really light. I didn’t have it in my hands for more than 1 minute before my wife, Kathi, made a bee-line to see what I was holding. She took it in her hands and said “Now that is a snazzy looking notebook.” She then asked me how long I got to keep it as an eval. Her eyes said it all: “I want to use that”.
Some quick thoughts:
- Like I said, the U110 is feather light.
- It is very glossy – from the keypads to the screen. There is a very high gloss factor on this computer, and will be a huge fingerprint magnet. I think this will bother me a lot, especially with the keyboard being glossy. Time will tell what my wife thinks, though.
- The screen is ultra-thin. and the finish really makes it a nice stylish computer
- The resolution ( 1366 x 768 ) is very crisp
- The mouse buttons will take a little getting to use to as they sit right on the edge of the casing
- My wife, though, loves the keyboard and mouse / mouse buttons. She took right to them and even mentioned how easy they were to type on
- She mentioned on several occassions about how light the U110 was, and that was with the 7-cell battery in.
- The AC adapter is remarkably different from other Lenovo notebooks. It is small and light, and very similar in size to the Dell Latitude XT 45 watt adapter
- The included case is nice, but I don’t think my wife will be using it. I think she’ll end up wanting something a little more stylish to go with the U110
- Experience index:
- Processor (Core 2 Duo 1.6 ghz ): 4.7
- RAM ( 2 GB ): 4.8
- Graphics: 3.5
- Gaming graphics: 3.5
- Primary Harddisk ( 120 gb 4200 rpm ): 4.1
- Overall: 3.5
- Running processes out of the box: 67
I honestly think this U110 will be getting eval’d by my wife, so I think I’ll have some interesting things to share. Stay tuned for more on this new offering from Lenovo!