The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date is confirmed and today we want to take a look at the most important things to know as we push toward its arrival on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC later this year.
Its been more than a year since EA DICE revived the Star Wars Battlefront franchise. Their version of Star Wars Battlefront, a spin on DICE’s Battlefield games, arrived in November of 2015 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
In December, DICE released the final piece of Star Wars Battlefront DLC dubbed Rogue One: Scarif. The DLC arrived just ahead of Rogue One the movie.
As we push deeper into 2017, support for the original game has slowed down as EA DICE prepares to showcase the sequel, the 2017 version of Star Wars Battlefront 2.
The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release was originally confirmed all the way back in May of 2016. At the time, the company said the sequel would feature “bigger and better worlds” and that it would use content from the new Star Wars movies.
Earlier this month, the developer confirmed some of the most important Star Wars Battlefront 2 release details including key information about its release date, its content, pre-orders, and more.
With a Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date confirmed, we want to take a close look at everything we currently know about the Star Wars Battlefront 2 release for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Release Date
The Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date is confirmed for late 2017.
As expected, Star Wars Battlefront 2 will land in late 2017 with a release date confirmed for November 17th. This is the release date for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
You can also try Star Wars Battlefront 2 starting November 9 if you join EA Access on Xbox One or Origin Access on PC. Your progress carries over to the full game if you decide to buy the full version.
There’s also an early Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date for those that pre-order the Deluxe Edition. The early Star Wars Battlefront 2 release date lands on November 14th.
For more information, you’ll want to signup for the Star Wars Newsletter. If you do, you will receive the exclusive in-game “Not the Droids” emote. Make sure you use the email associated with the EA account you will use to play Star Wars Battlefront 2.
Here are few more key about the Star Wars Battlefront 2 release for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC:
- A Nintendo Switch Star Wars Battlefront 2 release remains unconfirmed. In a recent interview, the company declined to offer any specifics one way or the other.
- A Star Wars Battlefront 2 release for Microsoft’s Project Scorpio will probably happen. Microsoft’s new Xbox will debut in June at E3.
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 pre-orders are live for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. The game starts at $59.99 but there are some deals out there.
- If you have an Amazon Prime account you can take 20% off the price. Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked members also get 20% off. You’ll get 10% off if you’re an EA Origin Access/EA Access subscriber.
- You can buy a physical copy of the game or you can opt for a digital version of Star Wars Battlefront 2.
- If you pre-order Star Wars Battlefront 2, you’ll get The Last Jedi Heroes pre-order bonus. This means you’ll get Kylo Ren and Rey-themed looks inspired by the upcoming movie, epic ability upgrades, and much more.
- The official Star Wars Battlefront 2 forums are live.
- GameStop is selling a $23 Star Wars: The Black Series – Battlefront 2 Inferno Squadron Agent Figure. It’s a GameStop exclusive.
- Sony is offering a free theme to those who pre-order the game ahead of its release date.
Look for more details to emerge throughout the year, particularly in and around E3 2017 in early June.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Editions
There are currently two versions of Star Wars Battlefront 2: The $60 regular version and the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition. The Deluxe Edition is $80 through retailers like Amazon and Best Buy.
For $20 extra, you’ll get a bunch of bonuses including early access to Star Wars Battlefront 2 and instant weapon unlocks. Here’s the full list of perks:
- Access to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 on November 14 which, again, is a three-day head start.
- Upgraded versions of all 4 trooper classes (Officer, Assault, Heavy, and Specialist).
- Four epic ability upgrades, one for each trooper class.
- Instant weapon unlocks and weapon modifications for each trooper class.
- Exclusive Kylo Ren and Rey-themed looks, inspired by Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
- Epic ability modifiers for Kylo Ren and Rey.
- An epic ability modifier for the Millennium Falcon.
You don’t need to buy the Deluxe Edition to gain access to these perks. DICE says you’ll be able to unlock these extra bonuses by playing the game.
Those who pay the extra $20 for the Deluxe Edition will simply have the extra content available to use from day one.
For more on the Star Wars Battlefront 2 Editions, take a look at our rundown.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 DLC
Unlike Star Wars Battlefront and other popular games like Battlefield 1, Star Wars Battlefront 2 won’t feature a Season Pass. The move is an attempt to avoid a fragmented community, something that plagued the previous game.
This doesn’t mean the game won’t have DLC. Instead of a Season Pass, EA says that it’s working on something different for this game though the company hasn’t shared its plans yet.
The company notes that this change should allow “you to play longer, be [more] invested in the game without having a fragmented community.” The company recently relayed this statement to IGN:
While we’re not ready to confirm any live service plans just yet, what we can say is this we heard the feedback from our Battlefront community loud and clear. We know they want more depth, more progression, and more content. So we’re focused on delivering that in every dimension of Star Wars Battlefront II. We’ll have more to share about our plans soon.
For more on Star Wars Battlefront 2 DLC, take a look at our roundup.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Content
Thanks to the trailer and the announcements we have some details about Star Wars Battlefront 2’s content.
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 features heroes and other content from the prequel trilogy. It will also feature content from The Force Awakens. Included are Darth Maul, Kylo Ren, Rey, Luke Skywalker, and Yoda.
- There is a single-player campaign that’s centered around the woman below. She is Iden Versio and she’s the commander of Inferno Squad, an Imperial special forces unit.
- The Inferno Squad ship is called the Corvus.
- Versio will have access to a “backpack droid” as a customizable companion character.
- The campaign is set during 30-year period between the conclusion of Return of the Jedi and start of The Force Awakens.
- The campaign will include chapters.
- The campaign will feature a progression system similar to the one in multiplayer.
- The game features an offline split-screen co-op mode. Unfortunately, the offline split-screen co-op will be an exclusive feature for the console version of Star Wars Battlefront 2.
- The co-op mode is different from the campaign. There isn’t a co-op Campaign mode.
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 will include space battles. The company notes that you’ll be able fly around Imperial Dock Yards and take down massive capital ships.
- You’ll be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon and Luke Skywalker’s X-wing.
- Dogfights will feature up to 24 players.
- The other multiplayer modes will feature up to 40 players.
- There are attachments for weapons.
- No vehicle pickups.
- No more hero pickups.
One other important note about the multiplayer portion of the game: It looks like there won’t be any of the dynamic destruction you see in the Battlefield series.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 Demo
If you want to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 before its release date you’ll be able to do that provided you can get to Los Angeles in June.
This demo will be available to the general public so if you want to try the game early you’ll want to get a ticket once they’re released the morning of the 20th.
We don’t know what the demo will entail though we’d expect it to focus on the multiplayer portion of the game.
Pre-Order Battlefront 2 If You Want Early Access
If you want to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 before its official release date you'll want to put in a pre-order for the game.
There are three Star Wars Battlefront 2 release dates. One is November 17th. This is the game's global release date for Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC and it's the release date you get with the standard version of the game.
Another release date lands on November 14th. If you want to start playing the game three days before everyone else you'll need to pre-order the $80 Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition before the 14th.
EA Access (Xbox One) and EA Origin (PC) subscribers who pre-order the game will get access to the game on November 9 with EA's Play First Trial.
If you want to get a head start ranking up your character, learning about the new weapons, new characters, new modes, and new maps, a pre-order is probably the route you'll want to take.