The October Battlefield 1 patch doesn’t come with surprise DLC content, but it does deliver a few tweaks and key bug fixes for lingering problems with the base game and In the Name of the Tsar.
In September DICE delivered two new Battlefield 1 updates. One came alongside the In the Name of the Tsar DLC in early September. The other arrived a little bit later and delivered emergency fixes for critical issues regarding lag and connectivity. The PC version fixed rubber banding (jerky movement) and delayed kill messaging.
DICE’s finally rolling out a new Battlefield 1 patch. It’s not the Operation Campaigns update, but it’s still an exciting release for Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC users.
Now that the update is pushing out on all three platforms we want to take a look at the most important things you need to know about this month’s Battlefield 1 patch.
October Battlefield 1 Update Size
The October update is a pretty substantial download. It’s also a mandatory download for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC.
If you’re planning to play Battlefield 1 today you’re looking at a 2.8GB download on the Windows PC, a 4GB download on the Xbox One, and a 3.6GB download on the PlayStation 4.
If you don’t have a ton of space available on your console you’ll need to clean out some space in order to install the update.
40-Player Operations Gone
One of the key changes on board the October patch is the elimination of the 40-player Operations mode. DICE says that its “determined that by allowing servers to only support 64-player Operations, match joining times are kept at a minimum and the probability of joining an active populated server is drastically increased.”
Operations Server Browser
The October patch brings another huge change to Battlefield 1 and Operations.
Operations is finally included server browser. This is a change Operations players have been calling for since the game’s launch last year and it’ll be live once you download the update to your platform.
Operation Campaigns Update Delayed
At one point DICE was calling the October update its Operation Campaigns update. That’s changed.
Coming in October for They Shall Not Pass and In the Name of the Tsar, experience a new way to play Operations. pic.twitter.com/h6fU9eTzEj
— Battlefield (@Battlefield) August 23, 2017
DICE says the Operation Campaigns update has been pushed to November and it will include some major changes to the popular Operations mode.
The developer says next month’s update will “expand on the frontline clashes between attackers and defenders, stringing together multiple Operations and adding unique rewards to the mix.”
DICE’s first Operation Campaign is called Eastern Storm. This will combine two Operations from Battlefield 1 In the Name of the Tsar DLC: Brusilov Offensive and Red Tide.
Eastern Storm will be released to Premium Pass holders and those who own the standalone Battlefield 1 In the Name of the Tsar expansion.
Bug Fixes & Tweaks
The October update is focused on fixing bugs and balancing the game. It’s a long list of changes and it includes some of the fixes from the Battlefield 1 CTE. Here’s the full list:
Specializations & Assigments
- The Concealed Rescue Specialization has been changed and no longer deploys smoke automatically on a downed squad mate. For smoke to be deployed on a downed squad mate, a squad mate with the Specialization must now spot the downed player.
- Fixed an issue with the Stimulant Syringe Specialization where the revived soldier would not receive the sprint boost.
- Fixed an issue with Healing Hands Challenge #1 “Heal 10 Different Squad Members”. It is now cumulative and tracks between matches.
- Fixed issues where Soldier Assignment progress was not being displayed properly.
Weapons & Gadgets
- Changed the Ottoman Standard Issue Rifle from the Martini Henry to the G98. This is more historically accurate, and should be a better matchup against the British SMLE.
- Increased Tripwire-HE blast damage from 80 to 85, enough to score an Assist Counts As Kill against an enemy with the Flak Specialization.
- Fixed an issue where throwing a smoke grenade would prevent the thrower from performing other actions for a short time.
- Changed mid-length Parabellum (25-50 left) reload from 6.75 to 6.85 to match animation position.
- Fixed an issue where 3P Bayonet Charge VO could be cut off if the charge started immediately after the ability recharged.
- Added missing emblem to FA Automatic Rifle.
- Fixed an issue where no audio would play for automatic weapons in single fire mode for 3P soldiers.
- Fixed grenade resupply audio.
- Added Press or Hold option for Bayonet Charge.
- Fixed overly bright mane and tail on horses in Tsaritsyn cathedral.
- Both gunners of Ilya Muromets now show hit markers when hitting enemy players.
- The Assault Truck’s sensitivity is now affected by sensitivity options.
- Fixed an issue where 3P enemy footsteps could be heard too loudly when the local player was in a vehicle.
- Fixed an issue where the grenade throw emote from a soldier inside the Putilov-Garford Armored car could be heard from very far away.
- Selecting a friendly soldier or vehicle in the deploy screen will now show their current health as a circular bar around the selected icon.
- Fixed an issue where bomber weapons were inaudible from 3P camera in seat 1 of large bombers.
- Fixed an issue that prevented players in a squad spawning in a plane controlled by a squad member if the plane was outside of the soldier combat area.
Maps & Modes
- Brusilov Keep: Fixed issue where players could spawn in fire.
- Fixed an issue with Mother Voice Over on Operations Globe screen.
- Fixed an issue where English was playing instead of Localized MX and SA languages for Mountain Fort Defender Loss VO.
- Fixed occluding issues with factory ruin pillars in Tsaritsyn.
- Enabled damage on barbed wire close to capture point D on Galicia in Conquest.
- Fixed floating dirt mounds around the train wreck on Volga River.
- Operation Brusilov Offensive’s final rating is now correctly rated out of 24 instead of 30.
- Fixed an issue where Operations were geographically misplaced.
- Removed vehicles from Back to Basics Conquest game type.
- Fixed flickering bright snow on Galicia.
- Echoes activated in Lupkow Pass.
- Fixed an issue where more than one piece of music could play during the briefing of an Operation.
- Removed Elite pickups from Domination.
- Removed Elite pickups from Team Deathmatch.
- Updated Red Tide Operation transitional announcer VO for 5 localized languages.
- Updated localized VO for Red Tide Operation defender briefing.
- Fixed issue where a player would change to the enemy team while playing Frontlines during a match.
- Added additional Russian “self” VO.
- Fixed a red background used for the White Army in Operation Red Tide.
- Changed Conquest and Domination “You are winning/You are losing” lines to only trigger when teams are close enough (in tickets) to catch up.
- Fixed an issue where Hero Kit introductions were not shown properly on Verdun Heights in Operation Devil’s Anvil.
- Fixed an issue where Pre-End-of-Round music and UI would not be triggered in the final minute of Frontlines gameplay if players were contesting a flag.
- Fixed an issue where female war cry was heard on German and Austro-Hungarian teams during Operations games.
- Removed invisible collision near the French spawn in Soissons.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in the Operations game mode.
- Improved culling on player heads.
- When the video options motion blur amount is set to 0%, turning the motion blur system off entirely gains some graphics performance.
- Added options to turn off the Chromatic Aberration (camera lens causing color fringing along high contrast edges) and Photographic Film Grain Noise post processing effects.
- Fixed the issue where the gameplay options for controlling the visibility of the world icons for enemy and friendly soldiers were not working properly.
- Fixed an issue that could cause server lag by disabling certain debug features.
- Improved server fps warning icon analysis and alert.
- Players will now be unable to exploit the request order at the end of a round to become Squad Leader in the next round.
- Allow player rank to be displayed in in-game scoreboard on password protected servers.
- Added key bindings for Bayonet Charge (separate from Melee key binding).
DICE’s made one notable improvement to the Battlefield 1 Rent-A-Server program: Server admins will now have the ability to move players between teams.
No Changes to Frontlines
DICE is testing new maps for the popular Frontlines game mode, but those changes aren’t in the October Battlefield 1 update.
The developer is currently testing Sinai Desert and Suez on Frontlines, but we don’t know when they’ll make an appearance. The November Battlefield 1 update is a safe bet.
DICE continues to make progress with its new Incursions mode. Those testing this competitive game mode should be on the lookout for new updates as we push into October.
DICE says it’s planning a November update though it hasn’t gone into any detail yet. If the company uses the same release protocol it used for In the Name of the Tsar, we could see the first map from the next DLC emerge next month. Lupkow Pass, a map from In the Name of the Tsar, arrived inside an August base game update.
We also expect to start hearing more about the Turning Tides DLC which is still slated to arrive in December. The developer is still pretty mum, but that should change soon.
Turning Tides North Sea Download Size
DICE's North Sea Turning Tides content has finally rolled out alongside the developer's January update. The January update, like the December update, is a big one for all consoles and all players.
If you plan on playing the game and Turning Tides North Sea you'll need to download a significant update to your console of choice. Here's what you can expect:
Again, this Battlefield 1 update is a mandatory patch for all players, not just those who own the game's Premium Pass.