Honestly, specs don't matter all that much as long as a phone is fast, fluid, and works. If you're worried about the numbers though, these phones are almost the same under the hood.
OnePlus 6 Specs
- 6.28-inch 2280 x 1080p Full HD Optic AMOLED Display
- Snapdragon 845 Processor with 6-8GB of RAM (Same processor as S9)
- 64, 128, or 256GB of storage, no microSD slot
- 16MP + 20MP Rear Camera (f/1.7, OIS, EIS, 4K) Finally, optical image stabilization
- 16 Megapixel f/2.0 front-facing selfie camera
- Android 8.1 Oreo (or Android P beta)
- Rear fingerprint scanner, Fast Face Unlock, more
- 3,300 mAh battery with fast Dash Charging
- Daily Water-Resistance (whatever that means)
- 3.5 mm headphone jack, BT 5.0, NFC, 4G LTE, alert slider
- Mirror Black, Midnight Black, or Silk White color options
Compare that to the HTC U12+ and you'll see that these phones are very similar overall.
HTC U12+ Specs
- 6-inch 2880 x 1440 Quad-HD Super LCD6 Display (Cinematic 18:9 aspect ratio)
- Snapdragon 845 processor with 6GB of RAM (same as the Galaxy S9)
- 64 or 128GB of storage with microSD expansion
- Android 8 Oreo with Sense UI (Upgradable to Android P beta)
- Dual Rear UltraPixel Cameras: 12-Megapixel main f/1.75 aperture lens, OIS, EIS, 4k video with a secondary 16MP telephoto lens with OIS
- Two 8MP f/2.0 Front Selfie Cameras with Portrait Mode
- 3,500 mAh battery with fast charging
- IP68 Dust & Water Resistance, Fingerprint Scanner, Bluetooth 5.0, HTC Edge Sense 2
- USB Type-C, HiFi Boomsound Stereo Speakers, Pressure Sensitive buttons, more
- Available Unlocked from HTC or Amazon
With the HTC U12+, you're getting a better camera and a zoom lens. Not to mention the dual front-facing cameras. HTC's phone also has a microSD slot for storage expansion, IP68 water-resistance, a bigger battery, and better HiFi Boomsound stereo speakers. Some buyers will also enjoy the new pressure-sensitive buttons, squeezable sides, and other unique software features.
That said, do you need all of that? If you don't, the OnePlus 6 is a similar experience with the same powerful internals for a few hundred dollars less.