Windows 7 Math Input Panel Screenshots

image Lots of folks are asking about how indepth the Windows 7 Math Input Panel works – does it do Algebra, Calculus, etc? Yes, it recognizes those formulas extremely well. Here some examples from using formulas from my son’s Algebra book. Click the images for fuller screenshots.

mathinput1

mathinput2

mathinput3

mathinput4

Comments

1. Vyk says

That is very cool =)

How do they appear in onenote, word processors and such? As images or text that can be modified?

2. Rob says

I’d agree on the h’s

vyk – I’m not sure yet – have not installed Word or OneNote yet

3. Loren Heiny says

I don’t think the “insert” feature is working yet–at least with Wordpad, notepad. I haven’t heard if there’s a way to copy/paste the results either. Not sure yet of the format it would insert into the document. Maybe the destination document/application has to be “math” aware.

4. Jim says

I am interested to know what format it inserts the equation as.
    The equation tool that is available with current XP Tablet Edition inserts a bitmap file (BMP), which of course is absolutely useless.

Is the new tool similar to the built in Microsoft Equation Editor (little brother to MathType), or is it MathML aware, etc etc.

If Microsoft have made another bmp generator then it is a complete waste of time. Why? you say. Once generated it cannot be easily edited!!!!

A good inking solution would be to have the “generated” equation appear for additional editing in the ink panel!

A Maths Teacher who loves tablets but think Microsoft and others (XThink – Math Journal, Heulabs Fun with Construction, etc) haven’t quite got it right yet…

5. Rob says

Loren and I are not sure of the exact format. We believe it might be MathML. We’ll find out….

6. Lora Heiny says

Yes, it will insert MathML into “aware” applications. Page 18 of the Windows 7 Developer Guide states, “This engine recognizes handwritten mathematical expression and translates the result into MathML format for applications to use.”

7. Medic says

If MathML is similar to the current insertion of formula’s in Word 2007, that would be great.
    Up till now I have only seen mathematical examples. Has anyone seen examples of chemical formulas and equations (with drawing arrows and such) that will be recognized? (e.g. CO2 + H20–> H+ + HCO3-).

8. Loren Heiny says

Although this information is now posted elsewhere, I thought it would be a good idea to mention a couple things here since this thread is appearing at the top of Google search for some Math Input Panel searches.

Turns out the Math Input Panel is working fine in the M3 build. When you press "Insert" the equation is pasted to the clipboard as MathML. You'll need a MathML aware application to use the equation.

In terms of chemical formulas, I've found that the recognizer only works for a few. Most fail, which makes sense since the recognizer doesn't know about the chemical terms.

9. Paul Topping says

MathType 6.5 is a MathML-aware app so it should work with the Windows 7 math input panel. We would love to try it but have not yet gotten our hands on it. If someone wants to download one of our 30-day demo versions and try it, we’d love to hear about it. We will be looking at it asap.

Paul
    Design Science, Inc.

10. Tom says

Wow, Microsoft must’ve had a serious falling-out with Design Science if they’re not giving early-access through the various ISV programs. I mean, I know about Office, but the Windows group has a reputation of being friendly to ISVs. Either that, or Design Science is being Wordperfect and not being sufficiently proactive in lobbying to get into these programs.