Clicky

Kindle 2 Arrives and I Break It

By  |  18 Comments

Well, that didn’t last long.

Not five minutes after posting up about my Kindle 2 arriving, it slipped from my fingers, fell three feet, and gave the hardwood floor a great big smacker.

Now the upper right hand corner of the screen is frozen, providing me with a constant view of smeared ink and the battery indicator. Fortunately, I also bought the two year extended warranty which covers one replacement unit due to accidental coverage / user stupidity. Yes, I had temporarily removed the Kindle from the protective case…don’t ask me why….

My replacement unit (a brand new Kindle 2) will be here on Thursday. I highly recommend purchasing the extended warranty and leather cover.

Signed,

A Sad Kindle 2 Owner

As the Founding Editor for GottaBeMobile.com, Rob oversaw the growth and overall direction for content, advertising, and management of the site. Keep up with Rob at RobBushway.com Send email to Rob

18 Comments

1. Xavier

02/24/2009 at 7:41 pm

Ouch…I feel your pain. I’ve had mishaps w/new gadgets. FYI- if you buy w/AMEX, select MC/VISA cards you’re protected automatically for a period of time against accidental breakage. Coverage amount and length of time depends on your terms.

2. Rob Bushway

02/24/2009 at 7:41 pm

great tip, Xavier!

3. Corinne

02/24/2009 at 7:57 pm

That’s kind of funny.

So what of Oscar Wilde are you reading?

4. Rob Bushway

02/24/2009 at 7:58 pm

@corrine – that’s the screen protector – displays various images while in sleep mode

5. Warner Crocker

02/24/2009 at 8:35 pm

Oh, Rob.

6. mike

02/24/2009 at 9:25 pm

Well.. that’s a bummer.
    One of those nights when you have to remember to count your blessings and smile I guess.
    And while one incident is not exactly a representative sample…
    I can’t help but think a device meant to be used as the kindle is cannot afford to be so delicate.
    And if I need to keep it in a protective sheath all its life then it being super thin and light is made somewhat moot.
    Hopefully yours just fell in just a certain way and is not indicative of expected daily performance… err… shortcomings.

- mike

7. Dodot

02/24/2009 at 10:52 pm

Oh no! What a tragicomic plot twist!

Were you at least able to read something using your Kindle 2 before having to prematurely say good bye to it?

8. Richard

02/24/2009 at 11:19 pm

There is something to be said about a paperback :)

9. Rob Bushway

02/25/2009 at 12:53 am

@dodot: just for a little bit – it is still somewhat usable – if you don’t have to read the upper corner of the book – sort of like the dog chewed that corner off :-)

10. John in Norway

02/25/2009 at 3:00 am

The exact same thing happened to me last night! I must have dozed off because, the next thing I knew, I had to lean over, pick up my book , turn to the page I was reading and carry on.
    I don’t have any accidental insurance on my books. If I destroy one I just buy another copy for a dollar. Mind you, I do need an external light source to be able to read … oh, wait. :)

11. GoodThings2Life

02/25/2009 at 5:09 am

Good job, Rob, seriously! :P lol Man oh man, what a klutz!

Good to know you can start prepping your review based on what you have and wrap up tomorrow when your replacement arrives, right? ;)

12. Dodot

02/25/2009 at 7:01 am

@John in Norway

Haha!

But on the other hand the the digital Kindle library takes up less space on your shelf (in fact, it occipies a constant volume regardless of how many books you have). I would also assume that the Kindle books are less prone to the existence threat posed by the likes of fire, water, acidity, termites and other page eating creepy crawlies – Rob can rest assured that even if his Kindle 2 lies broken missing a corner, his books are secure and easily retrievable, backed up several times over by the good people at Amazon. :D

13. Rob Bushway

02/25/2009 at 7:07 am

@dodot – exactly

@john – not to mention that every person in my family (six people) can read the same book on their own kindle and I only have to purchase 1 copy of said book….

For a homeschooling family, that is a pretty big deal

14. Steven Hughes

02/25/2009 at 8:00 am

Ouch!!! I feel your pain Rob.

Hmmm… Maybe you and Xavier should register the domain:
    GottaBeCareful.com and make it a repository for devices that have met an unfortunate end.

Before you send it back I wonder if the Novatel E725 Mini PCIe card in the Kindle 2 would work in say another device like a mini notebook, UMPC, or laptop… :)

15. Rob Bushway

02/25/2009 at 8:08 am

@steven – what a great idea!! with my luck (don’t even ask about the demise of one of my iPhones….), there wouldn’t be a lack of content…

16. John in Norway

02/25/2009 at 12:17 pm

Despite my humourus comment above, I do feel your pain Rob. I’ve dropped enough of my ‘toys’ over the years to know how painful it is.

I don’t have a book reader but I do have ALL my books on computer – if you ever have to move to another country you’ll know how expensive it is to have the tree version. Every so often I buy a stack of books from Amazon (I keep a list of books I want) and then scan them in to my PC so I can read them wherever and whenever I like on any of my devices.

17. Corinne

02/25/2009 at 1:31 pm

“that’s the screen protector – displays various images while in sleep mode”

Lol, ok. Oscar Wilde is a must read though.

But, at least you have yet another reason to always get a warranty.
    I hate how much they like to charge for them, but they are a must.

18. Will in Alabama

02/25/2009 at 2:46 pm

You scan in paper books??! What is your procedure and HW/SW for what can be a very time-consuming and imperfect process? Do you use pdf or some other digi format?