Kindle 2 Arrives and I Break It

Well, that didn’t last long.

Not five minutes after posting up about my Kindle 2 arriving, it slipped from my fingers, fell three feet, and gave the hardwood floor a great big smacker.

Now the upper right hand corner of the screen is frozen, providing me with a constant view of smeared ink and the battery indicator. Fortunately, I also bought the two year extended warranty which covers one replacement unit due to accidental coverage / user stupidity. Yes, I had temporarily removed the Kindle from the protective case…don’t ask me why….

My replacement unit (a brand new Kindle 2) will be here on Thursday. I highly recommend purchasing the extended warranty and leather cover.

Signed,

A Sad Kindle 2 Owner

Comments

1. Xavier says

Ouch…I feel your pain. I’ve had mishaps w/new gadgets. FYI- if you buy w/AMEX, select MC/VISA cards you’re protected automatically for a period of time against accidental breakage. Coverage amount and length of time depends on your terms.

2. mike says

Well.. that’s a bummer.
    One of those nights when you have to remember to count your blessings and smile I guess.
    And while one incident is not exactly a representative sample…
    I can’t help but think a device meant to be used as the kindle is cannot afford to be so delicate.
    And if I need to keep it in a protective sheath all its life then it being super thin and light is made somewhat moot.
    Hopefully yours just fell in just a certain way and is not indicative of expected daily performance… err… shortcomings.

– mike

3. Dodot says

Oh no! What a tragicomic plot twist!

Were you at least able to read something using your Kindle 2 before having to prematurely say good bye to it?

4. Rob Bushway says

@dodot: just for a little bit – it is still somewhat usable – if you don’t have to read the upper corner of the book – sort of like the dog chewed that corner off :-)

5. John in Norway says

The exact same thing happened to me last night! I must have dozed off because, the next thing I knew, I had to lean over, pick up my book , turn to the page I was reading and carry on.
    I don’t have any accidental insurance on my books. If I destroy one I just buy another copy for a dollar. Mind you, I do need an external light source to be able to read … oh, wait. :)

6. GoodThings2Life says

Good job, Rob, seriously! :P lol Man oh man, what a klutz!

Good to know you can start prepping your review based on what you have and wrap up tomorrow when your replacement arrives, right? ;)

7. Dodot says

@John in Norway

Haha!

But on the other hand the the digital Kindle library takes up less space on your shelf (in fact, it occipies a constant volume regardless of how many books you have). I would also assume that the Kindle books are less prone to the existence threat posed by the likes of fire, water, acidity, termites and other page eating creepy crawlies – Rob can rest assured that even if his Kindle 2 lies broken missing a corner, his books are secure and easily retrievable, backed up several times over by the good people at Amazon. :D

8. Rob Bushway says

@dodot – exactly

@john – not to mention that every person in my family (six people) can read the same book on their own kindle and I only have to purchase 1 copy of said book….

For a homeschooling family, that is a pretty big deal

9. Steven Hughes says

Ouch!!! I feel your pain Rob.

Hmmm… Maybe you and Xavier should register the domain:
    GottaBeCareful.com and make it a repository for devices that have met an unfortunate end.

Before you send it back I wonder if the Novatel E725 Mini PCIe card in the Kindle 2 would work in say another device like a mini notebook, UMPC, or laptop… :)

10. Rob Bushway says

@steven – what a great idea!! with my luck (don’t even ask about the demise of one of my iPhones….), there wouldn’t be a lack of content…

11. John in Norway says

Despite my humourus comment above, I do feel your pain Rob. I’ve dropped enough of my ‘toys’ over the years to know how painful it is.

I don’t have a book reader but I do have ALL my books on computer – if you ever have to move to another country you’ll know how expensive it is to have the tree version. Every so often I buy a stack of books from Amazon (I keep a list of books I want) and then scan them in to my PC so I can read them wherever and whenever I like on any of my devices.

12. Corinne says

“that’s the screen protector – displays various images while in sleep mode”

Lol, ok. Oscar Wilde is a must read though.

But, at least you have yet another reason to always get a warranty.
    I hate how much they like to charge for them, but they are a must.

13. Will in Alabama says

You scan in paper books??! What is your procedure and HW/SW for what can be a very time-consuming and imperfect process? Do you use pdf or some other digi format?