Is My iPad 2 Smart Cover Getting Dumber?

I’ve been noticing this over the last five or six days. I have a Smart Cover attached to my iPad 2. It’s of the leather variety. It seems to do the trick nicely in terms of covering the screen. But as the smartly covered iPad 2 goes in and out of my bag I’m noticing that I hear the tell tale click that tells me that the cover is actually putting the device to sleep.

What got me curious was when I was removing something else out of my gadget back I heard that click. I hadn’t touched the iPad 2 at the moment, but of course things jostle around when you go rummaging through a pouch in a gadget bag. So, with the bag in an upright position I did some jostle testing and I notice that I’d hear that click randomly. I do mean randomly because some times it can be replicated and some times not.

I forgot about this over the weekend as I had one of those weekends where I often had to be in two places at the same time. This morning, however, after pulling a fully charged iPad 2 off of the charger and tossing it in my bag, I headed off to work. When I went to pull the iPad 2 out of my bag I heard that click. Intriguingly I noticed that the battery life had declined two points on the journey to work. That’s something I’ve never seen before so it makes me wonder if they iPad 2 had been awake for the duration of the trip.

I’m wondering if, like many things that tend to not function as perfectly as they do when they are brand new, that if some wear and tear doesn’t have an effect on how the Smart Cover works its magnet magic. I’ve only had this thing for 3 and 1/2 weeks so if that’s the case it doesn’t bode well for longevity.

Anyone else noticing this?

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Seems like people mentioning the Smart Cover after the initial fawning are mostly complaining about it.

2. tivoboy says

Yeah, I noticed this early on and commented on some other forums about it. the tolerance for the cover seems to be about 1/10 inch, meaning just a tiny little move of the cover turns things ON and then it has to go off, either moved back, or through the timeout in the settings screen.

My person thinking is that this ISSUE/BUG/FEATURE is why we have a setting in the general settings screen to turn OFF the ON/LOCK feature of the smart cover.

3. techgeek32 says

It sounds like it is probably moving just enough in your bag to turn on the screen. It is probably staying on until it goes into standby based on your timeout settings. That was one concern I had about this screen cover. It will probably work in perfect conditions, but in the case of users that put it in a bag to carry, the chances will increase that the cover will move enough to turn the iPad on.

4. Joe Romeo says

Ours is doing the same thing. I left it in a bag all weekend and it was nearly drained this morning, the bag was noticeably warm as well so it seems as if the screen may have been on for hours at a time.

5. Takeonme505 says

Mone does that and it leaves three lines of smudge where it’s creases are even though it removes the fingerprints. I have no die why it does that.

6. tivoboy says

Yeah, I think there is some sort of coating on the cover that is leaving the smudges. It gets better with time

7. Fred G says

Since I knew the back would get scratched, I went ahead and bought a cheap neoprene iPad 1 sleeve on clearance. The sleeve fits the device with the cover just fine. I knew that the smart cover would be fine for carrying around the house and stuff, but if I wanted to stick it in a bag, I wanted something more secure and protective. I never thought of the smart cover as suitable for transport purposes.