Weekly Wrapup: Notebook, Tablet & Smartphone News – Week of June 17th
Another week of tablets, smartphones and notebook news and reviews is behind us. This week we saw a collection of business and back to school notebooks launch, including many running the new AMD Fusion A series Quad Core APU. On the tablet front we shared our first impressions of the Acer Iconia A500 Honeycomb tablet and a conversation with a reader about Tablet PCs. When it comes to smartphones, it was a busy week with numerous device leaks and a look at 5 reasons you shouldn’t buy a 4G LTE device today.
Smartphone and Tablet News
- Samsung Attain Galaxy S II for AT&T Gets Pictured
The first look at the Samsung Attain Galaxy S II comes from Facebook.
- iOS 5 Lets You Customize Your Own Vibration Patterns
Tucked away in the Accessibility section of the settings in iOS 5, Apple has included a custom vibration center that will allow you to make your own vibrations for calls, texts, emails, notifications and so on.
- Motorola Photon 4G Details, Review & Hands-On Video Roundup
We cover everything you want to know about the Photon 4G, except a release date.
- How iOS 5 Beta Is Hurting The App Store
In addition to devs, there are tons of other regular iDevice owners hoping on the iOS 5 beta train without understanding what a beta is and in the process hurting app reviews on the iTunes App Store.
- For Verizon, Rooting is the Point of No Return – Literally
Verizon Wireless is the latest party, following Apple, to not be taking rooting, hacking, or jailbreaking kindly. Though the U.S. Digital Copyright Millennium Act makes it legal to root or jailbreak your phone, Verizon Wireless does not have to honor your warranty if something wrong happens to your device
New Notebooks for June 17th
- HP Pavilion G Series Notebooks Gain AMD Fusion Option: Better Graphics, Without Price Bump
HP is adding AMD Fusion processors to a collection of notebooks, including the budget priced HP Pavilion g4, g6 and g7 notebooks which are all getting new AMD A series processors this July .
- Hands On with the HP Pavilion dv6 and dv7
The HP Pavilion dv6 and dv7 notebooks gain Quad Core AMD A Series APU options and we go hands on with them.
- HP ProBook S and B Business Notebooks Gain AMD A Series APU Options
Check out our hands on with the new HP ProBook S and B Business notebooks which can be equipped with AMD Fusion A processors.
- Toshiba Qosmio X770 and X770 3D Deliver Gaming Goodness at $1,199
Toshiba just dropped the new Toshiba Qosmio X770 and X770 3D multimedia and gaming notebooks on the market. These notebooks are packed with the latest technology and represent the “Gaming Sweet Spot” that Nvidia was hoping to hit with the GTX 560M GPU.
- Hands On With Toshiba Satellite L700 & C600 Budget Notebooks (Video)
you are looking for low priced notebook without too many sacrifices, you should check out the new Toshiba Satellite L700 and C600 notebooks which are aimed at the average home user and come with an easy to swallow $379 starting price.
- Toshiba Satellite P700 Notebooks Show Up With Intel and AMD Options
The Toshiba Satellite P700 notebooks start at $629 and come with a range of Intel and AMD processors.
- Sony VAIO E and VAIO C Notebooks Gain Faster Processors, Brighter Colors
Sony announced colorful updates to the Sony VAIO E Series and VAIO C Series notebooks. The E series are everyday entertainment laptops that are finally joining the Sandy Bridge revolution while the C series is aimed at users hungry for performance and portability.
- Acer Ethos Notebooks Bring a Removable TouchPad Remote to The Party
Acer is bringing the sexy looking multimedia optimized Ethos notebooks to the U.S. this month and alongside powerful specs and a gorilla glass display you’ll find a removable touchpad that doubles as a remote control for easy access to your multimedia playback.
Notebook News for the week of June 17th
- Back To School: Buy a Mac get $100 worth of Apps Free
Apple has kicked off their annual Back to School promotion, with a new twist. Instead of a free iPod Touch, Apple is including a $100 iTunes gift card with the purchase of a new Mac.
- 5 Great Mac Apps for Sharing and Syncing
We’ve rounded up the best Mac Apps for sharing and syncing files and information so that you can keep your digital life within reach anytime you have an Internet connection.
- Sandy Bridge MacBook Air May Quickly Grab 50% of Apple’s Notebook Sales
Apple expects that the MacBook Air will account for more than 50% of Apple’s notebook sales when it is refreshed in the coming months.
Notebook, Tablet and Accessory Reviews
- Live HTC Flyer Review: Video on the Go
With front- and rear-mounted cameras, the HTC Flyer begs to be used for capturing and sharing video. As luck would have it, that’s exactly what I was tasked to do for work this past week.
- Acer Iconia Tab A500 First Impressions (Video)
First impressions of the Acer Iconia Tab A500 with Android Honeycomb 3.0.
- Live HTC Flyer Review: Mobile Enough?
Can the HTC Flyer deliver everything Sumocat needs in a mobile package?
- Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E220s Review
The ThinkPad Edge E220s is a new ultraportable business notebook from Lenovo which manages to come in thinner than the ThinkPad X1 and X220, while still delivering a powerful ThinkPad experience at just over $800.
- HP WiFi Mobile Mouse Review: No Dongles or Re-Pairing Needed
The HP WiFi Mobile mouse is a new portable mouse from HP that doesn’t need a dongle or Bluetooth to connect to your computer. Instead, it connects directly to your computer over WiFi
- AViiQ Portable Quick Stand for Notebooks Review
The AViiQ Portable Quick Stand is a portable notebook stand that offers 12 degree angle for ergonomic typing and airflow. The primary selling point of the AViiQ Portable Quick Stand is that it is collapsible, which makes it easy to carry around.
- KB Covers Review: Add Shortcuts and Protection to Your MacBook Keyboard
f you are looking for a way to protect your MacBook Pro keyboard or for a way to learn common application shortcuts, the KB Covers keyboard covers for Apple notebooks are a great solution.
Josh Smith is Editor of GottaBeMobile and Notebooks.com. He's always looking for ways to help you get the most of your mobile gear and loves to talk about tech on numerous radio programs. Josh uses an iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, HTC One, iPad mini, MacBook Air and Review Windows notebooks on a daily basis. Josh Smith on Google+ Email: [email protected]