Motorola Droid Bionic on Track for Summer Release with “New Updates”

Motorola has already told consumers that the Droid Bionic is coming out this summer and according to a tweet today, it appears that that summer release is still on track. The company also confirmed that it was working on some new updates but as of right now, it’s unclear if it’s referring to the upgrades that we know about already or new, still undetermined ones.

Droid Bionic

We know that the Droid Bionic is going to have a different form factor than the device we saw at CES and it might just be the 4.5-inch monster that we saw appear in photos a short time ago. Or, if this tweet indeed refers to new updates, something that we haven’t seen yet.

In addition to these updates, Motorola also confirmed that the Droid Bionic is still “slated” for a summer release. Of course, like every smartphone release, that window is subject to change but it’s looking like it will be out this summer.

As far as when, August seems like a pretty good bet considering Moto and Verizon are going to be pushing out the new Motorola Droid 3 some time in the very near future and they wouldn’t want the releases to clash.

Comments

1. Durvid says

August is a long wait.. Hopefully they will release beginning of July? Though it seems kinda doubtful if they are still making improvements. Sigh…

• Adnaan Zaffer says

I believe all major improvements/changes have already been made (considering the photos that leaked recently). I also believe that it’s foolish to get excited over a single tweet from Motorola. They basically said the same thing they told us back in April: improvements and summer release. Is that anything new to us? No.

They keep screwing with us.. maybe they love this hype — makes them feel like Apple for once or something. The fact is they suck as a company for even trying to be so cryptic about things. It’s actually abnormal for anyone besides Apple, and that’s why we’re getting so pissed off and impatient. No one’s ever complained about an iPhone like this during the wait for a next version’s release, have they?

I’m not waiting past July. If it’s not out by then, I’ll give Motorola AND Verizon the finger and spoil myself with a Photon 4G or a Samsung Galaxy S2.

• Rex_D says

I agree.  I’ve been very patient, but I’m over the BS and fake “leaks” that get released just to get us to hang on just a little bit longer.

2. Mijio says

Don’t annouce a phone so far in advance you cant deliver. Now people are just going to wait and see what the iphone 5 has to offer.

By more updates I hope a battery that lasts the whole day. The current 4G LTE line up all suffer from poor battery life.

3. Phil says

I expected it in spring and I’ve been waiting this long, I might as well keep waiting, but its killing me. My Droid 1 feels so outdated and slow I can barely stand it!

• Anonymous says

Gosh you’re telling me!  My Droid 1 just cant handle it anymore.  I am eligible for an upgrade in November but since Verizon decided to low-ball me with my new every 2 (Only $30) I am just going to pay the extra $$ to get the Bionic as soon as it comes out.  Its a good thing that my company phone is an iPhone because I don’t know how much more I can take of all this freezing and lagging on my Droid!

• Darkpsycho22 says

Droid 1? Dude i was using W755 and now a broken cracked voyager.. it’s kill you?! Man I want my first smartphone already! >.< Esp with the tiered plans coming in.. I wanna get grandfathered into the 30$ unlimited!

• Phil says

I’m really hoping that I will be able to keep my 30 dollar unlimited but I have a bad feeling that I won’t. Either way waiting for this phone is a definite roller coaster, one day it’s promising, and the next it’s complete obscurity!

4. Akelectricgroup says

Complete BULLSHIT i was eligible to buy a new phone in the spring JESUS CHRIST IM trying to run a business here let shit or get off the pot MOTOROLA ? Verizon, enough is enough release it 1 st week of July or dont bother if you dont have it right by now you wont in another month!!!!!!

5. Durvid says

Hold tight guys. An undisclosed Verizon rep told me today that it will completely blow every 4G LTE phone of today out of the water. It will be worth the wait; don’t worry.

• Adnaan Zaffer says

Uhh yeah it’s called business, buddy. In the end, everyone just wants to sell you their phone.

• Rex_D says

Verizon employees said the same thing about the LG Revolution 6 months ago… and look at it!!

6. Ben Ro says

I’ll get the Iphone 5 just because you made the droid 3 non-LTE and made me wait on the Bionic. Eff you motorola.

7. Quickstang says

My guess… They’ll release it AFTER they change their data plans. I was thinking about switching from Sprint and getting the phone, but it looks like it won’t be out in time before the updated plans. Even though there is a 14 return policy, it’s not enough time. The only other option is Best Buy and the 30 day return policy. Get a phone on the 7th exactly, when the last day is before the plan change, then return the phone  in 30 days and get the Bionic assuming it is out by then. That would make it the 6th of June.

8. Okamsrazor22 says

The thing is, it doesn’t matter anymore. They keep refusing to give us a real timeframe, they wont tell us what these mystical “updates” are, and they do not communicate with their customers. I swore Motorola off years ago. I ended up buying the DROID, then the DROID X. As excited as I was for the bionic my tolerance has been reached. Give me the Bionic by July 7 or I will go with a manufacturer that actually PRODUCES phones I can buy. Not drag it into fall when everyone is getting an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S2.

9. Okamsrazor22 says

10. Steve Austin says

They dont keep feeding you hooks just so they can surprise you next week with a release.  So obviously the intent is to keep us baited for as long as possible so we dont give up and go with another phone.  Also keep in mind that most of the frenzy is self imposed hype.  July 7th is someone elses BS, and now we are latching onto it like it has to be firm?  Gimme a break.  There a manufacture lead time, too.  If it aint on the assembly line now, it aint done.

• Anonymous says

The reason why some people are giving the Bionic a July 7th deadline is that people like me that could be potential Verizon customers would love to get the Bionic right before Verizon closes the window on the unlimited data plan.  No one wants to pay tiered data pricing especially if its going to be at LTE speeds.

You probably can’t see this because you are probably an existing Verizon customer who is grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.

As for me, Ive sorta given up on getting the Bionic.  I think I will stick with Sprint and look forward to get the Photon which is similar to the Bionic.  At least the Photon from Sprint has been officially announced and should have a release date way before the Bionic will ever have a release date.

At this point, the Bionic could be so screwed up that I don’t see this phone coming out until September to October to be honest.  They might be on revision 3 currently but I seriously think it will have to take a revision 5 or 6 before its all said and done.

• Rex_D says

EXACTLY!  I would not doubt that all these “leaks” were planted by Motorola to get people to hang on longer because they aren’t ready to release the phone yet

11. Throg says

I’m wanting to wait for the bionic, but….  I know that very soon verizon is going to change the rates and get rid of the unlimited data.   So i’m going to get the samsung charge so that I can be locked into the 4g unlimited data plan

12. Throg says

Also, I don’t believe current 3g unlimited data users will be able to upgrade to a 4g device and keep their data plans.  I’m almost positive, different device, different type of network.  Hopefully I’m wrong…

13. auralay says

I’m done, too. I’ve been eligible for an upgrade since April. Companies that communicates so poorly to the public will not be good “mothers” to their consumer children. AT&T must be loving this situation…I’m defecting, too.

14. muzicman61 says

Don’t beleive anything a Verizon rep from a store tells you.  My son is a regional manager for Verizon, and even he doesn’t know about releases until a 3 day before they are announced publically.  All he knows about the Bionic is that he wants one too!

My hunch on the delay is related to their 4G network.  I believe they are having issues, and they don’t want the Bionic to release, flood the network and have problems.  That would not look good for Verizon.  They still have mud on thier face from the Droid Charge launch.  Until they are confident the 4G is stable, they won’t release any new 4G phones.  Of course, I have no evidence to support this, just an educated guess.

15. Quickstang says

My guess is the fact they don’t want 20,000 (yes I over exaggerated) people getting the phone now or in a week and then getting on the unlimited data plan and paying less.

A better business strategy is….

Wait until they change the data plan, THEN release the phone, and see how many people will still buy it. Would they make just as much money or more? Couldn’t tell you.

BUT… Like I said earlier, there is the Best Buy option of getting a phone on the 7th, then on day 30 return it for the Bionic assuming it is out on the 6th of August which would be 30 days. If not, then you’re stuck with whatever phone you chose.

The only other thing I can think of is if you can get a phone, return it in 30 days, then if the Bionic isn’t out, get something else and keep it for 30 days. Unfortunately I don’t know if this works as it may be 30 days period for phone returns regardless of how many you switch. If it started from scratch you could hold off. At the same time too, if it wasn’t out in 60 days, you’d be pissed. No telling when the phone will come out and it’s all a guessing game.

• Dcdrogers says

I gave up.  Waited and waited and waited…finally had to cave and get my daughter the iPhone 4 for her graduation in May. I enjoy playing with the phone so much, I’ve decided to get the iPhone 5 when it’s released.  Sorry Motorola…I’m sure I won’t be missed.

16. Hwitzer says

I spoke to a Verizon Rep at corporate headquarters today and I was assured the phone would not be out in July but it will be out August barring any problems.

17. Foxygrandma says

When is the last day of summer?  Technically the droid can be release the very last day of summer.  Or find another excuse to push if later in the year.  For example, December 31, 2011.  Can you just see the commercial?  “Start the New Year with a bang, get your Bionic Driod for the new year”  Why would they be motivated to release it sooner, as long as people have this addiction to feed into this hype.

18. Foxygrandma says

19. Baseball Lover says

Everyone was in a hurry for the release of the Droid Bionic because Verizon has dropped their unlimited data plan.  Honestly, I don’t mind waiting for the phone if it means they are cleaning it up and correcting any issues with it BEFORE it is released.  So many people were angry with the iPhone4 issues after it was released.  If Verizon was smart, they would keep their UNLIMITED data plan to attract new customers and increase sales of the Droid.  A good marketing tool.  Also, I heard the Droid Bionic is going to sell for $149, then I heard $300.  If they keep their price down, another marketing bonus for Verizon, especially with the iPhone 5 coming out this fall.