Did The Motorola Droid Bionic Just Get More Attractive?

Texas Instruments has announced that its OMAP4 platform is the first to receive Netflix HD certification which means that the Motorola Droid 3 and the Motorola Droid Bionic may have just gotten a lot more interesting to folks out there searching for a phone on Verizon.

Motorola Droid Bionic

You see, it’s pretty much certain that the Motorola Droid 3 is going to arrive on Thursday with a OMAP4 processor which means that it will likely get full 1080p support for Netflix at some point after release.

You may have also heard that there is a debate as to what kind of dual-core processor is going to be in the Motorola Droid Bionic. Originally, the Droid Bionic had a Tegra 2 processor but benchmarks have since revealed that Motorola has at the very least, been toying with a dual-core OMAP4 processor inside their upcoming 4G smartphone. That means that it’s very possible that the Droid Bionic could come with Netflix in HD.

That feature along with 4G speeds would be a fantastic recipe and one that we are hoping that Motorola is cooking up. It might even convince me that a 4.5-inch screen is necessary, who knows.

Who’s excited about the possibility? Frankly, it’s just another reason why you should wait for this device to come out.

Via: Droid-Life

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Sigh.. I have resigned myself to wait.   They didn’t make any big push to get a dual core phone out by 7/7 it appears.

• BrianB13 says

Why would they?  They want these dual core phones to come out AFTER they drop the unlimited data plan.  It just makes business sense.  Moto said the Bionic will be out this summer and I have no reason to believe that it won’t be out on August 4th.  That’s less than a month away.

2. guest says

Stuck with a crappy blackberry till the bionic or galaxy s2 come to verizon.  At least I’m locked in with unlimited data.

• Mast says

BB plans are different from Android and ios plans, even though they are currently the same price of $29.99. Check with your Verizon Rep. before the end of the day today.

• Dazeofkaos says

They are all the same now they are simply email and web plans. No longer specific to what type of OS. If you have smartphone then it will transfer over. VZW did this to make change phones after the 7th seamless.

• zzzzurzolo says

I can confirm this as well. I had 3 different Verizon reps note my account that Blackberry unlimited plans would be upgrade eligible for any smartphone (including androids, iphones etc..) after July 7. They changed the data packs that separated BB from the others on June 25th without any press releases.

Keep in mind that any upgrade after July 7 will maintain unlimited data “for the foreseeable future”, which means that this could go away soon.

3. Eric says

activating an old droid i borrowed to have the unlimited data warmed up for the bionic release! ditching my att iphone 4, been loyal to iphone since the 3g, but the reliance on itunes is pushing me away, hopefully i won’t be disappointed

• Phil says

I just started using Zune software the other day, made me consider a windows phone….then I came to my senses lol. Anyway it is way more enjoyable to use than iTunes. I sold my iPod and ordered a Zune.

Still using my Droid 1 until the Bionic comes out. It’s almost painful. I wish Google would make up their own music management software and make it uniform for all the Android devices.

4. Anonymous says

Today 7/6 my contract ends which means I am now eligible for my NE2 $50 discount.  And August 4th is my birthday, sweet!  (Happy dance)

5. John Chmilarski says

Netflix in HD isn’t much of a perk without unlimited data. people will go over a 2GB cap very quickly streaming video, especially in HD

6. agent83 says

That doesn’t make any sense, “…which means that it will likely get full 1080p support for Netflix at some point after release.”

How are you going to get 1080p resolution out of a 540p screen?  I think the writer is confusing the specifications of the phone’s video camera capture capability with the output of the display.

7. JayQuick says

The writer is listing 1080p as the output for hdmi or mhl connections on these phones. You are correct the screen cannot output that resolution but the phone can output 1080p thru an HDMI or MHL connection to a standard HD television.