Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Accessories: HDMI, USB and SD Card Adapters

Like the iPad, Samsung’s 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab has only one port, a 30-pin proprietary connector. And so, like Apple, Samsung has provided a few adapters for extending the use of this port: HDMI, USB and SD. Though having these ports on board might make life easier, these adapters at least offer the extra functionality… for an extra cost.

HDMI Adapter — $39.99

The HDMI adapter allows users to connect a full-size HDMI cord to the Tab and output the display an HD TV or monitor. Connecting the power cord at the same time is possible, but the configuration is a little awkward, as you see. You can also connect the HDMI adapter to the Tab via the Multi-Media Dock.

Samsung Galaxy Tab HDMI Adapter Dongle

Samsung Galaxy Tab HDMI Adapter ConnectedWhen I hooked this up to an HD monitor I noticed that upscaling SD content to 1080p wasn’t smooth and resulted in some pixilation. I did this while watching Flash video on TNT.tv. Comparing the smoothness between the tablet and the monitor, the output had noticable dropped frames. Once I sat back and just watched the show, I didn’t notice it as much. Still, the translation isn’t perfect.

With HD content this issue was less apparent. Same for content played from the internal memory as opposed to streaming. If you plan to utilize the Samsung MediaHub and don’t have a MediaHub-enabled TV, this is a good way to get that video on the big screen.

This adapter is also a good idea for people who plan to use the Tab as a presentation device. Outputting to HDMI requires no extra apps or settings; just plug it in.

A good buy for users who plan to use MediaHub, are really jonesing to play Android games on the big screen, or who plan to use the Tab as a business tool. Otherwise, there are better ways to get your video on.

USB Adapter — $19.99

Galaxy Tab USB Adapter

With this adapter users can attach a USB drive or a USB peripheral (such as a keyboard) to the Tab.

Having a wired keyboard when docks and Bluetooth solutions abound may not seem like the best MO, but if you only need the keyboard occassionally it is nice to be able to plug in any USB model and begin using it with no hassle.

I get more use out of the file transfer aspect of this adapter. Since connecting the Tab to a computer isn’t always straightforward and instant, I generally opt to use the adapter to transfer files to or from a USB key.

The only thing I don’t like is that accessing the files isn’t as straightforward as on a desktop system. However, this is Android’s issue, not the adapter’s.

SD Card Adapter

Samsung Galaxy Tab SD Card Adapter

This adapter isn’t yet available, but will be out in the next couple of weeks, likely at or around the same price as the USB adapter. It also has similar functionality: allowing users to access and transfer files from an SD/SDHC card. It even comes with a microSD adapter (in case you don’t have one already).

The SD adapter is particularly useful for users with cameras. Just offload your images to the Tab, use the image editor to crop or resize, and upload to the web.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

This has now been listed on Amazon for those looking to get this :) - http://amzn.to/r46Ej8

2. Daniel says

So I can buy the USB adapter and have more memory using pendrives? Will the tablet really recognize and “read” pendrives?

• Kev says

Yes it works flawlessly. I’ve tried a SD adapter on top of the Samsung USB adapter and that works too so you have to spend more money.

• Grantstricklin1984 says

How do u do this to get pics off sd card to galaxy tab by using adapter to usb?? Never seen this before

• Naturalred1968 says

Hi I’ve been reading everything out about how to get my USB/SD card adapter to work with no solutions…. can you please help me out? It recognizes it but I can’t find any way to put things on my tablet from the SD card. I’d greatly appreciate any help you can offer… thank you…jennifer

• Akingbade Stephen says

All you need to do is (1) go to your files from your home screen (2) once its open you will see external SD card and ur USB device (3) click on any of the device that you have file to move or transfer (4) once its open scroll to the file, touch and hold for few seconds until its highlited then drag it into the second SD device showing on your left bar, if you have more than one file select all and move it once, hope this help. Akingbade

3. Alain Chappaz says

Just not convincing. If you need serious I/O, go with the danged Thrive already – or maybe the Asus Transformer which has (I think) 2 full-sized USB ports in the keyboard dock.

• Zeronero says

The thrive is also good for a bicep workout too. Its one of the heaviest tablets around. Besides what is the deal with ports being so freaking important. You know there is this thing called the internet that let’s you access all your files if you are smart enough to know how to do it!

• Just says

But the question is how do you load your files to the internet if you can´t load it on your tablet :-)

• Overkill33 says

You can take a picture or type a doc with the Galaxy, keep it AND upload it to Google Docs or any Cloud and download to any other device.  You can take a pic with you camera, put it on your PC or other device, send to Docs or Cloud, and on and on and on.  NO USB, SD NEEDED.

• Robert says

I guess that we’re all not as smart as you ( or maybe sometimes we’re nowhere near the internet). I want the same ports my phone has, usb, hdmi and sd (got a problem with that?)

• anonymous says

arey oo, v want solutions or comments for samsung galaxy devices,
      not asus devices…
      hey, asus eee pad is just 33000,
      galaxy tab is 42000.
      so., y the hell u show up ur transformation tab….heck

4. Alexis Ampudia says

I have a question about the USB adapter. I have a sprint usb adapter which allows me to use the internet at high speed. If I was to buy the usb adapter plug in for the galaxy tab, would I be able to use the sprint pcs usb internet with it?  Any response would be greatly appreciated.

5. Mohamad Farhan says

what do u mean by accessing the files isn’t as straightforward as on a desktop system?? hmm..so if i want to copy files from the tab and paste  it to my  pendrive using usb connecter..is it possible??

• Aaaa says

no, one cant use the internet dongle (usb) on the GT for accessing internet as GT has restricted its usb use to only those which have their own power.
      infact, i have my second thots only bcoz i cant use the internet dongle.

6. Pieterjan Oomen says

I’m thinking about buying the tab, but I really need acces to my go pro hero camera for playback. You reckon it will acces the camera via usb and have playback functionalities with the standard video player? It records in MP4?!

7. Randall says

I want to play power point presentations and/or video from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to a projector, not just a large flat screen, only to find out after purchase (my fault) that the only output is a 30 pin connector.  I’m having difficulty (1) locating an adapter (30 pin male to HDMI).  I see the adapter for 39.99 at the top of the page but will this really work?  Or will I encounter more problems?  As much as I love the Tab, I wish they would have put more thought into connectivity.

8. Randall says

Also…..is the HDMI adapter and HDTV adapter the same thing or rather can be used for both?  When I click on the HDMI adapter above, it takes me to an HDTV adapter page.

9. Bigmeach says

How can I use my usb power cord and use my samsung flat screen as a monitor with this galaxy2?

10. stan says

HELLO!

Can I use USB and HDMI adapter at the same time?
    USB working if i connct it via HDMI adapter?

Thanks…

11. Usman says

Thanks for this helpful piece. A quick question though. You mentioned there are better ways to get the video on from this tablet – what else is a better way?

I wish to use it as a work companion slash presentation tool and will prefer if I can connect a keyboard, mouse and a monitor/projector all at same time – any bright ideas how to do that?

12. Mike Ko says

Hi.

I dont own a Samsung galaxy tab yet.. but I’d like to know if I use the SD card adaptor, can I extract files from the Galaxy tab TO the SD card (to be copied) on to my PC?

I cant do this with an IPAD2…  so id like to know if this is possible with Androids.

Thanks.

13. jway says

Help…A little confused as how to connect my galaxy 10.1 to samsung tv….I bought the HDMI adapter and hdmi cable. It seemed to easy, but I can’t get it to show up on the tv…..Now what? :)

14. Francois says

Hi,
    I’d like to play a diaporama from the SD card/adaptator, without having to copy files to the Tab previously. I don’t find the way to do this thus far.
    Any idea ?

15. Carlamarivdh says

Hi

I would like to purchase a Galaxy Tab 10.01.  Is it possible to use a USB internet modem?  If not, how is internet provided?

Thank you!

16. Oliver St.John-Mollusc says

can I sit on the toilet and watch Led Zeppelin in past real-time live back in 1971 without bluetooth?  does it wipe my arse for me?

I suppose I need a time machine for the 1st question, I could wipe my own arse though!

17. Dr Rinzo says

Currently doing a study in nigeria, where can i get a galaxy tab usb adapter in lagos or abuja?

18. CECILIA says

I have a samsung galaxy tab 10.1, I want to be able to use my power cord and connect a hdmi adapter to my tv & home computer or printer, what do I need to do this? I have the power cord.

19. Ryan says

Hi can someone tell me when I plug my Samsung tablet into my tv using hdmi lead and plug why it doesn’t work please help it’s driving me crazy