How to Jailbreak iOS 5 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, and iPod touch

If you are one of the lucky people that currently has iOS 5 installed on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you might be thinking about jailbreaking your device. If that sounds about right, you’ve come to the right place.

For those that don’t know, jailbreaking frees your iPhone from limitations put on it by Apple and by the device’s carrier be it AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. While  it has been made legal, jailbreaking will void your warranty so keep that in mind before you take the plunge.

You can read our 5 Reasons to Jailbreak guide, and be sure check out the Top hidden Cydia gems and Top 5 Cydia apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

For those of you that are still interested in jailbreaking iOS 5, read on.

Before we get started, keep a couple of things in mind. One, the jailbreak that you’ll be using, Redsn0w 0.9.9b5, is a tethered jailbreak. That means that you will have to connect your device to a computer that is running the jailbreak ever single time you want to power it up. It’s a hassle but until an untethered jailbreak arrives, you’re stuck with this method.

And two, this is not available for the iPad 2 or the iPhone 4S. This is for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, and iPod touch users only. No timetable for a jailbreak for either of those devices.

Redsn0wSo, if you own a supported device that’s running iOS 5, here is how to jailbreak it:

1. Install iTunes 10.5.
  2. Connect Your iDevice to your computer and back up your files.
  3. Download the correct version of iOS 5. You can find the direct links here. Or you can update through iTunes.
  4. Download Redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for Windows or for Mac.
  5. Open that file, select ‘Jailbreak’ then ‘Install Cydia’. It’ll take you to DFU mode and Redsn0w will jailbreak your device.
  6. Once Cydia is installed, you’ll want to be in DFU mode and in there should be an option for ‘Extras’. It looks like this image you see here.
  7. Pick ‘Just Boot’.

You can also use the video below for guidance as well.

If you follow those steps, you should have a jailbroken iOS 5 device. And as always, be careful. Especially if this is your first rodeo.

Via: Redmond Pie

Comments

1. Albertotorresr 1 says

This is horseshit. Why the fuck won’t they release the jailbreak for the iPad 2 already?

• Grateful Apple User says

Breathe…. Why upgrade if you can’t deal with the consequences.  Who are you that skilled hackers should jump through hoops for you? Unreal!

• Mac says

Alberto – hacking takes time! Do it your self before starting to rant about ‘why is it not here yet!’ Seriously, you think people aren’t working on this right now?

• sgtlarock says

Wow really? These guys do this stuff for free and on donations, and it’s horse shit? Nice dude. Nice. Why don’t you get into coding then and figure it out yourself. Or you can be patient and let them figure out the iPad2 because appearantly its not the same.

• Brandyn Cummings says

The iPad 2 uses a different processor than the rest of the iDevices. it and the iPhone 4S are using the A5 processor. This uses different software, and different drivers, so it is therefore harder to jailbreak.

2. Anonymous says

If for some reason your phone won’t turn back on after trying to put it into DFU…..use the following steps.

• Anonymous says

In case this happens to anyone else, it can be fixed by, hold home button for 15 seconds and then hold home and lock button for
      10 seconds and then only hold lock button for 2-3 seconds.

• Anonymous says

Really? This is the first time it ever happened to me. I’ve jailbroken my phone many times and never had it happened. I tried deleting my comment above, sadly, the system wouldn’t allow me to. :-/

• aliabs says

hello dear thanks for this it happened to me but tell me when i try to put my 4s into dfu mode software gave me error that is unexpected error so what is the main reason for this

3. E-baythuging says

it worked great for me but i have one big problem i use t-mobile there for i have a t-mobile sim card and i use the gevey sim, I don’t have an at&t sim card nor do i know some one that does and i can’t get past the activation part of the initial turn on after the update. Is there not anything i can do?

• Anonymous says

I got it to power back up by letting it sit about 10 minutes and pulling the sim card. I tried it again, and the same damn thing happened. If/when I get it going again, I won’t be trying it until there is a confirmed jailbreak announced by the dev team.

• Anonymous says

Apparently this can be resolved by doing the following: hold home button for 15 seconds and then hold home and lock button for
        10 seconds and then only hold lock button for 2-3 seconds.

• dido says

i think the jailbreak will activate it for u.if not then best bet is find an att sim.im also running iphone 4 on tmobile with gevey.but deciding whether to upgrade or not.

4. Kyle W says

I just attempted to try this jailbreak and I got it up and running but Cydia was just a white box and it wouldn’t open. However, I did have to turn off my iphone 3gs and boot it back up and now Cyida is working. Hopefully it’ll continue to work!

Also, I had to download iOS 5 on my pc again for this version of redsn0w to make it work for my phone

• sgtlarock says

Remember. It’s a tethered boot. So if you turn your phone off or it goes dead etc… you have to run redsn0w again (“Just boot tethered”)

• sgtlarock says

Wait for the untethered jailbreak. Tethered will piss you off and you will regret it. i’m still on 4.3.3. and have all of the IOS 5 functions (mostly i should say).

5. sam says

i dont know abour you guys but but i will jailbreak only once the confirmation will come from daves team

• Aigarcia29 says

Were you trying to use another sim card on an originally locked-to-a-network phone? I installed the Cydia jailbreak on mine and was wondering if you were able to unlock it

• patch91 says

Did you read what it said at the top of the instructions? This is a tethered jailbreak, which means if you turn your phone off you have to plug it back into your computer if you want to turn it back on.

• sgtlarock says

Sometimes after the initial jailbreak the apple logo will appear for about 10 minutes. leave it alone for about that long, and most likely it will boot up normal after that.

6. Sunny Bongale says

I have successfully installed Cydia but I not able to give a call by using T-mobile Sim card…
    Could please let me know am I missing somthing….
    For more information I am using iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore IPSW file…

7. Mfperry86 says

everything worked fine so i went into cydia to download biteSMS and when the devices rebooted it wouldnt turn back on. stuck on apple screen. Please Help!

8. Lewisj7877 says

hey, just did it. Only problem i had was when all was done, cydia blanked out and didnt come up. but then i rebooted it tethered, now cydia is working. im using iphone 4 ios5 verizon wireless. Thanks!

9. Arunthopil says

Hii  ma name arun.  frm japan…  ma  fone is a sofbank locked one…..

I  downloaded  ios 5 GM  frm torrentz.eu[ faster download] .  Guyz  once U finish dwnloadin  chk the size of tht file…. after tht  dwnloed redsnow 9.4 b….k………..  keep a copy of the dwnloaded  ios5 file and browse  a copy in .94b[ hope evryone knw the process.......  simply use the jail break option and install tht.... once its finished........... U might get the logo  or  if finshed get tht  wait symbol............. [ dnt be panic...... ]  tkae  red snow again  go to extras, there is an option to jst boot or smethn click tht follow the instructions…..  wait  a pinapple wil again cme………..  once done……… U will get the login screen…. setup  ur fone……….. its jail broken…………….

am not an expert  …. but spent 12 hrs for ths… nd i got it done………. cydia is not crashin as of now…..  evrythn perfect………….

U guys  if  U cud chk at the time of jail breakin……….. smetimes U cud see sme error…….. thn  heck its gone………… jst chnge tht ios file…………..

hope smeone got it done……………….  thnx

• Arunthopil says

Dude….  U delte tht setup and dwnload  again  or……     rebooot ur pc and try………

10. Kenny says

Im waiting for a iphone 4S untethered jailbreak..any1 know or heard any info about when or if its gonna be released?

11. Stephaniie Domiinguez says

Can I use this to Jailbreak for my Iphone even if I have it jailbroken to use for t-mobile

• Curtis Blanton says

i found that using the countdown on the redsn0w instructions screen was too slow, and i was able to get it working by just counting myself (5 seconds power, 10 seconds power + home, 10 seconds home)…mainly, you want to be releasing the power button in step three before your  iDevice boots again…

12. precedence says

Man, having issues.  I did the jailbreak several times… step by step.  No Cydia is installed.  After the jailbreak says done, I see a pineapple on the screen, then it comes up.  When I log in, there is no Cydia.  I’ve tried like half dozen times.  I tried doing just tethered, but it says my IPSW is not public or available yet. So I downloaded it and went to Extras to attach.  Even after that, no Cydia.  What’s the deal.

13. precedence says

oh, my IPSW file is iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw. Is it something with this version?

14. Simmann15 says

hi i have an iphone 3gs dat was locked on some service provider from germany. my friend helped me to unclock it and jailbreak. now i want to update to ios 5 using the above steps. can i do it and will my iphone remain unlocked or will it lock again??

15. Almacote says

The IPSW file you need is already on your computer.  Look in C:UsersAlmaAppDataRoamingApple ComputeriTunesiPhone Software Updates

16. Prashanth says

Hi . I use Geevy Sim for unlocking iphone. Does the above steps work for me. how to jailbreak it Is there any video for it ?

• Aigarcia29 says

What is this Geevy Sim and how do I get it on my phone to unlock my iphone 4? (It’s originally locked to ATT network and I have just downloaded Cydia)

17. Asfand says

I did the jailbreak… everything else works fine except for the push notifications!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on how to fix them???????

18. Bob says

Nice going…thanks for giving us a jailbreak that DOESN’T WORK!! You assume we all have the IPSW file just sitting on our computers, and you also assume that everyone even knows what this is!!

Bloody pointless posting this entire download without providing the IPSW file!!

• Ashura19 says

Stfu. Youre retarded. If you have no knowlage of how to jailbreak then you should be doing it at all or looking at some other how to. So gtfo

19. Prashanth says

unfortunately i hav upgraded 2 iOs 5 nd firmware as 4.11 and my GeveySim doesnt wrk. Please provide me a solution.

20. Moizahmad2012 says

Befor I jailbreak I thing
    What heppens when u download something from cyida n it say to reboot or respring then what

21. Gorgeousbee81 says

Hi Guys, i did all the steps, and a pineapple apperaed on my iphone (3GS) then the apple came bake and the ios 5 setup pages followed! and still doesnt accept my sim card (my phone is set to a specific network-which i dont know) and it was jailbroken with blackra1n before, then i upgraded to ios 5 without preserving my baseband, so it turned into a block! :/ is there a solution to this??? should i remove my sim card while im doing the jailbreak?? or is this jailbreak not going to work for me in the first place?? Please help! help!

• MinottiCh says

When I’m doing the jailbreak, everything is working perfect up until the point where Cydia is downloaded onto my iPhone 4. Once I go through the DFU Mode, iTunes closes and it makes me pull back iTunes and restore my phone. I have had to do this 3 times already. Any suggestions??

22. Justin Potts11 says

What do do if you’ve already installed iTunes 10? I’m new to this jailbreak stuff.

23. Abruni2000 says

How the HELL do u get IOS? I have a second gen. iPod touch and I’m new @ this! Someone plz help!

24. mike says

When i jailbreak my iphone 4 it installs cydia but it does not install it properly it has a plane whit icon and crashes when i open it any ideas?

25. Anonymous says

Worked great on my Verizon iPhone 4, then I found the 0.9.10 and got it untethered – I think. We shall see what happens next time I have to power cycle my device though ;-)