How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, and iPod Touch

The iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPad now have an untethered iS 5.0.1 jailbreak available for download.

The new untethered Jailbreak works on the Apple A4 powered devices, but there is still no iPhone 4S jailbreak available.

This new jailbreak is available as a simple update for those who are already jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1, but want to switch over to an untethered jailbreak. If you have been waiting for an untethered jailbreak, we also have you covered with the steps you need to free your iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1

This untethered jailbreak is great because it allows you to restart your iPhone 4 without losing your jailbreak or your ability to perform basic phone tasks. This is a much more user-friendly jailbreak.

Before you jailbreak, be sure to read our 5 Reasons not to Jailbreak. Most users will be fine jailbreaking and if Apple support is needed, un-jailbreaking, but it’s not for all iPhone owners.

How to Untether A Jailbroken iPhone on iOS 5.0.1

If you followed our steps to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 previously, you can switch to an untethered jailbreak fairly easily. You need to have used a Redsn0w, Ac1dSn0w or Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak.

1. Open up your Cydia app on the jailbroken A4 device.
  2. Search for and download a package called Corona.
  3. Once installed, reboot your iPhone 4 and it will be running iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken and untethered.

You can watch the video below for a closer look at how to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered if you are already jailbroken.

How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered

If you have an Apple A4 device like the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad or iPod Touch, you can now jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 from your Mac or Windows PC. This will allow you to install apps that Apple hasn’t approved and customize your device.

1. Download Redsn0w for the Mac or Windows.

How to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered step 1

How to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered with Redsn0w.

2. Open the app and choose “Jailbreak and Install Cydia.

How to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 untethered step 2

Turn off your iPhone or iPad and plug it in to your computer.

3. Place your iPhone or other A4 device into DFU mode by following the on-screen instructions.

How to place your iPhone into DFU Mode.

How to place your iPhone into DFU Mode.

4. Wait while Redsn0w applies your untethered iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak.

5. Your device will reboot and will be jailbroken.

Will you be jailbreaking your iPhone 4 now that it has an untethered iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak?

Comments

1. JB says

I have iPhone 4 5.0.1 with BB 4.11.08. So can I unlock the phone with UltraSnow after this jailbreak?

2. Dgregory0828 says

After I performed “just boot” and after the pineapple left the screen my apple symbol came on my device and stayed there. What do I do next? Please help quick!!!!!

• Guest says

Try many times to put it in DFU mode and “just boot” or “jailbreak”. If it doesn’t work all i have to say is wait until the screen is black meaning the phone is off then hold the home button while the phone is disconnected from the computer the connect it. it should go in recovery mode. Restore it and then try to jailbreak again but be careful this time.

Repeat process as much as you like no harm will be done.

• Alberto01adi says

just plugin again and go to redn0w and go extras -reboot click follow steps and just wait to reboot.

3. Tim Davies says

Having some problems after I jailbroke my iPad. I can’t seam to find sb settings and photo albums…and a few others. I was able to add my Hackulous source and get Installous…. hopefully it’s just cydia that has to update.

4. Dgregory0828 says

Dont do this jailbreak it will freeze your phone on the apple logo. No one will reply to you if you need help.

• Sfgiantsknbr680 says

You’re either too dumb to follow instructions, or you’re phone is retareded because I’ve jailbroken 8 AT&T iPhone 4′s 1st try.

• Alberto01adi says

una pregunta ya le hice el jailbreak a mi iphone 4 04.11.08 i0s 5.0.1 y no acepta mi sim card de t-mobile ayudaaaa porfavor

5. Dgregory0828 says

I do apologize for the message that was left by me earlier in the week. I went back and did the steps over again it work on my iphone 4 ios 5.0.1. I was scared because i had to restore my phone all over again and repeated the steps over again. It did work I give this 5 stars up if you have any issues I will be gladly to help if I can and i will respond. No one still didn’t respond to me though.

• Jerry says

So I should have no troubles on my iPhone 3gs following these exact steps? I’ve done a backup to iTunes just in case but still hope to not run into any problems because I have been waiting for an untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 since I pretty much updated lol.

• Dgregory0828 says

Correct, you should have no problems and if you do there is a way to restart and do it all over again. As long as you follow the steps you should be fine though. I had to find out the long way, but I got it done after countless hours.

• Ab_dz1 says

Hey I have the same problem you had my iPhone 4 got stuck in the apple logo after the pineapple thing went away now I don’t know what to do.

6. Talented104 says

wont work for me!!! its aggravating!!!!!  keeps saying waiting for reboot. then it reboots right away…no pineapple, no cydia no nothing.

• Sfgiantsknbr680 says

Do you have a Verizon iPhone? When IOS 5.0.1 came out, what Verizon did that AT&T didn’t was put a “blocker” (if you will) into the update that blocks Redsn0w’s jailbreak.  What you have to do is download an additional program and instead of click “Jailbreak” in Redsn0w, click “Extras” (I think that’s what it says.  It’s the other button on the first page when you open Redsn0w) Then open up the other program through Redsn0w, then once you do that you can do the jailbreak.  I have an iPhone 4 for Verizon and the same problem happens to me as well.  I’ve looked online for countless amount of hours to find the addtional software that you have to download and I’ve found it, but once I am in Redsn0w, it doesn’t appear so I’m not sure if I got a faulty download or what.  You might want to play around with it though.  Google it (I think it’s called like ISPM or IPSM or something like that, when you click on “Extras” in Redsn0w, you’ll see what I’m talking about, I just can’t remember the exact name off the top of my head because I’m on a different computer.  You’re not doing anything wrong, it’s just the stupid thing that Verzion did to stop jailbroken phones.  If you do figure it out (if you’re on Verizon), then please let me know because I’m still trying as well.

For AT&T if you are having this problem, when it’s stuck on “waiting for reboot”, before your phone restarts, unplug your phone from the cord and plug it back in and it should work.  There’s youtube videos on that.

7. Atdmanor says

Worked great for me. However Cydia crashes as soon as it opens, Anyone else had a problem??

8. Koollove2 says

saw ur video pretty good and helpful, also i have a iphone 4 on ios 5.0.1 firmware 04.11.08. i want it know can u upload it how to untethered and unlock the phone i want to use it with t-mobile im new at this stuff so i need little bit help with the jailbreaking and unlocking thanks again…..

9. Mich says

Hey,
    i have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 and i am thinking of Jailbreaking it but i have a few concerns.
    i do have a lot of application that i purchased and which are common with my iPad 2 also 5.0.1
    the questions are: do i still get access to the purchased application i have on my itunes?
    am i able to sync the jailbreaked phone with iTunes and to have my contacts, music and ophotos available?
    is it possible to return back to the factory state unlocked if i decide not to have my phone jailbreaked?
    i have had the phone since last November and i’ve been watching my friends jailbreaking their phones but they dont sync their apps with iTunes, so this is part of the big decision if i want to Jailbreak or not.
    can anyone help!?
    Thanks

10. guest says

i jailborke my iphone 4 running on ios 5,the thethered one,shud i upgrade it first n dn do d jailbreak again or is der ny odr alternate way??

11. Sucio27 says

Great video it was easy and now my Iphone 4 is jailbreak successfully with no problem Great Video

• Sfgiantsknbr680 says

They have iPhone 4S jailbreaks available with 5.0.1 software already up.  If it doesn’t work for the 4S through Redsn0w, go through Greenpois0n.

12. guest says

i have done all the steps and it finished.

but my photo, itunes and safari icon are just white blank boxes?

please help! :c

13. Usman says

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????
    I GOT STRUCK ON APPLY LOGO AFTER “JUST BOOT”,WHAT SHOULD I DO????
    CAN ANY1 TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT TO DO,STEP BY STEP….PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

14. Jgowrie says

I have the iPhone 4 updated to 5.0.1 but it HAS NOT been jailbroken yet. I did jailbreak my 3G so I’m familiar with the process but this new “untethered” jailbreak has me a little confused. Initially, I thought it meant I could do a FIRST TIME jailbreak with just the iPhone. However, I think I might have misunderstood what this meant. Can someone clarify for me exactly what the “untethered” jailbreak is? Thanks!

• Fin says

“Tethered” jailbreak is when you have to have your device connected to a computer and use redsn0w to turn the device on. You can’t turn on a device if it’s “tethered” jailbroken, unless you use something like corona. “Untethered” jailbreak is you can turn on and off the device without the computer and redsn0w.

15. Zak8 says

Hey Guys! I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 5.0.1 and installed cydia however I an unable to add any repos! Anyone got a solution for that??

16. Sarah130289 says

I have just done this and tried another sim card and its not working what do i do – the jail break did work

17. Sfgiantsknbr680 says

Has anybody figured out how to get Verizon iPhone 4 with IOS 5.0.1 jailbroken? for Verzion phones, they all freeze at “waiting for reboot” and the phones automatically reboot before the pineapple and jailbreaking actually takes place.

18. meda says

I tried it with my iPhone 4 and i do not get any major crisis, but redsnow gets stuck on the “Exploting limira1n” thing, the phone starts up fine. But as if nothing had happened, no cydia nothing. On the computer redsnow does not go further but it is not frozen, if I press cancel it cancels no problem

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

19. Danish0576 says

wtf my phone just showed unexpected error while performing jailbreak n got switch off help plzzzzz ???