How to UnJailbreak the iPhone 4S

If you want to take your iPhone 4S back to stock, there are a number of ways to unjailbreak the iPhone 4S, but this is the easiest and quickest way to restore your iPhone 4S.

There are a number of reasons you might want to unjailbreak your iPhone 4S, but the most common reasons are to take your iPhone into Apple for service and to speed up your iPhone 4S if your jailbreak apps have slowed down your phone.

The unjailbreak process is straightforward, and allows you to go back to stock very quickly. This method will also allow you to make sure that your iPhone 4S stays on iOS 5.0.1 when it updates, even after Apple releases iOS 5.1 or iOS 5.0.2, both of which will take away your ability to jailbreak the iPhone 4S again. At least until the dream team releases another round of tools.

How to UnJailbreak the iPhone 4S

What You’ll Need:

• iPhone 4S
  • iOS 5.0.1 IPSW (Download Here)
  • iTunes
  • iPhone USB Cable

Step 1. Place your iPhone into DFU Mode

1. Make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Plug Your iPhone 4S into your computer.
  3. Turn it off.
  4. Once the iPhone 4S is off, perform the following steps exactly.
  5. Hold your power button and the Home button for 10 seconds.
  6. Let go of Power and hold Home for 8 seconds.

unjailbreak iPhone 4S DFU mode

If you see this, you are in DFU mode.

7. iTunes should now pop up  notification like you see above.

How to put iPhone 4S into DFU Mode

Step 2. In iTunes, click on your iPhone in the left menu.

iPhone 4S unjailbreak process

Restore to a custom file to unjailbreak the iPhone 4S.

Step 3. We need to do a restore to the file you downloaded.

• On Mac hold Option and click Restore.
  • On PC hold Shift and click Restore.

Step 4. Choose your downloaded IPSW file.

How to unjailbreak iPhone 4S

Choose the IPSW file you downloaded at the start of this guide.

Step 5. Allow the restore to complete and you now have a stock iPhone 4S.

Once you are back to stock, you can restore to a previous backup, which will give you back your apps, settings and more.

Comments

1. Sorceror says

Does not work have error code 21 my iphone 4s only have the apple logo en does not start.
    Somebody a tip? please…

2. Wanker says

WTF,

why cant you just “restore” to factory via iTunes ??
    something fishy here methinks ( I wouldnt personally d/l ANY IPSW fcrom here ! )

3. Green and Yellow says

4. Aarons17 says

Can someone help! i downloaded pda net and my iphone needed to reboot and then it got stuck on apple logo and then changed to a loading round thing that gets frozen…. i have iphone 4s jailbroke via absinthe…. the first 2 days it came out running windows 7 also

5. Nik says

I got error 21 and in DFU error 1600 on my mac. i the tried recovering in DFU mode on my windows pc, and it worked the first time… you would suspect it worked the other way arround.

• Bennieboombbi says

i still get error 21 on my untethered jailbreak on my iphone 4s, and i jailbroke with greenpoision.

6. Bennieboombbi says

i cant get my iphone 4s out of error 21 or 1600, jailbroke my phone via greenposion, now when i press retsore it put my phone in dfu mode and i have to use tiny umbrella to get out….. i just got my iphone 4s 4 days ago.

white iphone 4s untethered jailbreak…HEEEELLLLLPPPPPP

7. Robert Weiss says

For those getting the error 21, if you have ever used TinyUmbrella uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit” and “Request SHSH From Cydia” in Advanced Tab might help.

8. Dr-iom says

I jailbroke my iphone 4 s with absinthe then i unjailbreak easily through i tunes without downloading any ipsw and it worked good
    But idont know if its still warranteed or not
    I have problem since i bought my 4s with internet videos both at youtube and safari does anyone get the same problem?

9. bobjacker says

how can i restore my iPhone first it got stuck in error 1600, now its stuck in dfu mode and i can’t get it out

10. Gmccrorey says

I too got an error. Just doing this to send back to Apple without any issues. Going ahead and doing an update/restore through itunes. There seems to be a problem with the provided ipsw link. Apple no likie.

11. Kiew meng says

this wont work. i tried and cant install 5.0.01. too many error.
    finally some expert online told me that it cant be done,
    i can only restore to 5.1 and not 5.0.01 even if im on 5.0.01,
    that what he told me.

12. W.S. says

These suggestions are definitely not working: host file checked, restore .ipsw files downloaded (tried both 5.0.1 and 5.1). During restore file “checking with Apple” the computer stops recognizing that the phone is plugged into the computer… and restore fails shortly thereafter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

13. K.Jhip says

The problem seem to be related to the most recent update of iTunes… the restore completely fails on iTunes 10.6.1.7 (Windows), but I found a friend with a MacBook running iTunes 10.6(40) and the DFU mode and regular install of 5.1 worked like a charm.

14. MM says

Does this mean it is safe to sync with iTunes with a jailbroken iPhone? This sounds like if I jailbreak my iPhone, continue syncing with iTunes, and unjailbreak it according to these instructions, I should have a clean iPhone with no trace of jailbreak files AND a clean backup on iTunes that will not recopy these jailbreak files onto my phone. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.

15. MM says

Please reply to this post as I forgot to check the “notify me by email” down at the bottom.

16. Aaron says

So after clicking on restore i click on the IPSW file but then an error message comes up!! it says like error 21

17. Craig says

I have tried to restore multiple times, I keep getting an error message with 1600 code. please hel[.

18. Jeremy says

I did the jailbreak on my phone myself, and I have Siri on my iPhone 4 to boot…so I know how to follow instructions. The above steps do not work for me, get an error message saying Apple could not verify the blah blah blah.

19. Garrett says

Yeah, the error is because there is a new IOS software version out… SO do not restore.. :) find a different post.. If you try to restore, it will screw up your phone.. TRUST ME. I KNOW FROM EXPERIANCE!

• [email protected] says

sarah first update your itunes n then download the update n then simply restore it

20. [email protected] says