Most of you probably don’t know that I am an Electronics Technician by trade. I have been working as an electronics tech for about 22 years now. I joined the US Navy and that became my job after almost 2 years of “Navy Training”. I learned Ohm’s Law and all sorts of other stuff that I couldn’t recall today even if I had a gun to my head.
When I started to work for AT&T almost 12 years ago, I had to take a series of tests that basically showed that I knew all the cool stuff the Navy taught me. The only way I passed all these tests was because I was required to take a test in the Navy twice a year so the formulas and theories were somewhat fresh on my mind. Acronyms to remember the resistor color codes and such were on the tip of my tongue. I took the tests for AT&T and that was it… the knowledge started to fade away. Even though my job title is Electronics Technician, I don’t get down to circuit card level troubleshooting anymore. It’s just not cost-effective anymore.
That said, Adafruit Industries has released an iPad/iPhone app to help you remember all those color codes and other circuit design calculations. After watching the video below, I am convinced that if had this app back when I was in the Navy, I would have been a Master Chief in 3-4 years. Everything I used to have to know how to do by hand all on the iPad or iPhone, the app looks amazing!
The app is only $2.99 and is in the App Store for you right now!
Circuit Playground simplifies electronics reference & calculation so you can have more fun hacking, making, & building your projects!
• Decipher resistor & capacitor codes with ease
• Calculate power, resistance, current, and voltage with the Ohm’s Law & Power Calc modules
• Quickly convert between decimal, hexadecimal, binary or even ASCII characters
• Calculate values for multiple resistors or capacitors in series & parallel configurations
• Store, search, and view PDF datasheets
• Access exclusive deals from Adafruit Industries