Work Starts on iPhone 4S Jailbreak for iOS 5.1

Now that Apple has released iOS 5.1 to the masses, work has started on a jailbreak for the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the new iPad.

pod2g, a member of the iOS Dream Team, announced that he is “working actively on finding vulnerabilities in 5.1.”

The announcement came on Twitter in response to a user asking when we will see a jailbreak for the new iPad.

If you have a jailbroken iPhone 4S, you cannot upgrade to iOS 5.1 without losing access to your jailbreak apps and tweaks. If you have an iPhone 4 you can jailbreak iOS 5.1, but it is a tethered jailbreak, so you’ll need to plug-in every time you restart.

iPhone 4S Absinthe Jailbreak AppI chose to un-jailbreak my iPhone 4S to get the latest iOS 5.1 features. Most of our readers wouldn’t make the same choice, and you can’t go back, so make sure you are sure you want to upgrade to iOS 5.1.

As I shared in our post about a jailbreak for the new iPad, this could take some time. According to the hackers who brought us the iOS 5 iPhone 4S untethered jailbreak, the A5 processor is harder to jailbreak.

Apple patched many of the security holes with iOS 5.1, even crediting pod2g and the 2012 iOS Jailbreak Dream Team on the iOS 5.1 security fixes page.

We already have a tethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPad 1 and late-model iPod Touch devices, but no such luck for an iOS 5.1 iPhone 4S jailbreak.

Stay tuned for the latest iOS 5.1 iPhone 4S jailbreak news. I’m glad to hear that the best iOS hackers in the business are working on the new iPad, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S jailbreak for iOS 5.1, but I think it may be a while before we can jailbreak these new devices.

Comments

1. Taliawy says

Dear team really many thanks for what you doing but I have iPhone 4s unlocked with running 5.1 and everyday waiting the jailbreak

Regards

2. B A says

hope this comes soon.  Finally ventured out on my first jailbreak with my Touch and really liking it and comfortable to do same with my 4s.  Had already updated my 4s to 5.1 so will have to wait to do same with my phone.

3. JCJK821 says

pretty awesome stuff..these guys that work relentlesly on giving us the tools to have our idevices to work in a way thet we find them more enjoyable…many thanks goes out to those dev teams…i cant imagine not  having an iphone and further not having it jailbroken…cant wait for the untethered 5.i for iphone 4…Peace

4. Sk8er4evr627 says

i hope you guys come out with a jailbreak for iphone 4s ios 5.1 running a5. ive been looking all over the interenet and havent found anything and its bumming me out. Hope you guys figure it out soon!

5. Simran says

I can’t able to degrad my 4s… Now there is only way to wait!! Thanks to jailbreak team that you are doing work awesome!!!

6. jaybeans821 says

does anyone know if– say i have an iphone 4 and its still running ios 4.x– is it possible to NOT update to 5.1 but still update to 5.0.1 from 4.x??? we do not want to, if we can help it have to go with a tethered jailbreak i see its possible with 5.1 for iphone 4..but to be able to not have to update as far as 5.1 would be awesome!! please someone tell me its possible…

• Konvicted98 says

Depondi ipore forh s. comity to, di messi, runaldooo. Now yourree ipore forh s is jailu bireaak. Thak yoiu

7. R3TRI8UTI0N says

Don’t worry, I made the same choice too. Enjoying the better battery life than I already had (which was defiantly better than most that I’ve heard), and the camera slider. Seems a bit zippier too, but I still can’t wait to re jailbreak.

8. Ryan says

Please get the 4s jailbreak or a way to downgrade from 5.1 soon as possible! But keep up the hard work!

9. Noura-_-nour says

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! i can’t wait for the jailbreak for the iPhone 4s 5.1 to come out! i mistakingly update my iPhone 4s to 5.1 not aware i would lose everything i had through jailbreak!
    please guys work as hard and as fast as you can and update us as soon as u reach anything!

10. Jcjk821 says

I saw on webpro news Stephan esser jailbroke an iPad with 5.1 untethered!! He tweeter it with pics!! I bet it will be out next week sometime!!!

11. Digadeshmukh says

hi friends plz do fast because it’s too boring to use iphone 4s ios 5.1 jail phone…..plz release it’s jailbroke version early as possible

12. Rafy58 says

I have nearly up-dated my 4s to 5.1 ios. so glad did not do it. cant have iphone 4s not jailbroken, that would be very boring. many thanks to the jailbreak team for your hurd work and having many millions of iphone users around the world happy to use it as they want, and it wouldnt be possoble without your hard efforts.
    many thanks once again.

13. Hi says

Hurry up i want to jailbreak my phone. Yo losers who dont have a life you should at least get out a teathered jailbreak. Screw u

14. Mr_kfd says

15. Ougi2 says

wouldnt it be easyer to have the goverment make apple open there device to allow compitition

16. Ajeshkumartv says

sir my phone iphone 4 5.0.1 at&t sim how can unlock   my email add ajeshkumartv@e6faafedacf1c14ba63a674d77adc444:disqus yahoo.com

17. K Kasta says

plz my iphone 4s 5.1 jailbreak help
    my email  [email protected]

18. Kurdistan says

Hi, to all who looking to unlock their iPhone , just ring your service providr like O2, t- mobile orange 3 it will cost £12 to £15 so easy O2 take 72 hours t-mobile takes 3-4 day 3 network 72 hours ther ask you for the payment then you imei number when it’s done after 72- 5 day connect your iPhone to you iTunes wait for 1-2 minutes do not disconnect you iPhone it will automatically goes of and on then on iTunes screen saying congratulation your iPhone is unlocked.

19. Reaganyarra11 says

guys pls do ur best to jailbreak new ipad 5.1 and 4s running on ios 5.1. PLEASE DO ANYTHING TO UNLOCK THIS IOS

20. Bobi_devil says