New iPad Speed Tests: AT&T vs. Verizon 4G LTE

The new iPad went on sale today, and for the first time, you can buy a 4G LTE iPad.

Verizon and AT&T both have 4G LTE iPad models available today, with the only difference being which 4G LTE network you can connect to.

This means that many of you want to know which network is faster, AT&T 4G LTE or Verizon 4G LTE?

We picked up two new iPads, one on AT&T and one on Verizon so you can see a number of New iPad 4G LTE speed tests.

(Read: Which iPad 4G LTE Plan is Best for Me?)

In the video below Xavier Lanier performs several speed tests to help you decide which one to buy. In addition to the standard SpeedTest.net app, Xavier downloads music from iTunes to provide a look at which is faster.

As you can see in the speed test video, both AT&T 4G LTE and Verizon 4G LTE networks are fast. Here are the first new iPad 4G LTE speed test results.

New iPad 4G LTE SPeed Test AT&T vs VerizonAT&T new iPad 4G LTE Speed Tests:

• 18.85 Mbps Down, 26.08 Mbps Up
  • 20.31 Mbps Down, 28.54 Mbps Up

Verizon new iPad 4G LTE Speed Tests:

• 30.53 Mbps Down, 16.76 Mbps Up
  • 27.84Mbps Down, 15.56 Mbps Up

Additionally, the real world speed test, where Xavier downloads the album from Slumdog Millionaire from iTunes. In this real world test, both AT&T and Verizon delivered blazing fast speeds. In fact, there wasn’t much difference in the time to download a full album to each iPad.

(Read: New iPad: AT&T 4G LTE vs. Verizon 4G LTE)

If you’re considering a new iPad with 4G LTE, the biggest reason will be which carrier has the best coverage in your area. Verizon has a more mature 4G LTE network that covers 200 million people, while AT&T covers only 74 million. Check our the post above for a detailed comparison. The best pick will vary depending on your location and where you frequently travel.

Comments

1. Guest says

“Verizon has a more mature 4G LTE network that covers 200 million people, while AT&T covers only 74 million markets”

I’m beginning to think you guys don’t proofread your articles before posting them. 74 million markets. That’s a lot. lol

2. Gabi7 says

just bought ATT LTE and did same speedtest in Miami and only got 2 mbps down and 1mbps up…WTF?? Not even 5 mbps??

I knew Verizon would have been better but I kind of had no choice being grandfathered in with the ATT unlimited plan from first iPad. Hope they install LTE in Miami soon!

• Sam'Dario says

Miami and L.A. will likey be one of the last and/or slowest cities to get AT&T 4G LTE simply since AT&T only has the 12 MHz C block in both cities, AT&T 4G LTE in these two cities will not be anything near close to Verizon’s 4G LTE speeds.

Unfortunately for me I also live in Miami and I will be swithing to Verizon for my next iPad.

• AgentLatte says

L.A. already has LTE from AT&T. In Orange County, I can get 40mbps on Verizon LTE with my Galaxy Nexus, and the new iPad has seen as high as 20mbps on AT&T’s LTE network in the couple days I’ve had it.

• Jeff T says

That’s not LTE. That’s HSPA for sure. Do you see LTE in the top left corner when testing? If it just says 4G, it’s HSPA.

3. Jake says

I have the AT&T iPad. I tested it here in Indianapolis and got at least 32 Mbps download and 27 Mbps upload every time. A friend I know has a Verizon LTE android phone and maxes out at 15Mbps so I guess speeds are different in different cities. I also tested it with LTE turned off, so just HSPA+, and got 11Mbps download, 3Mbps upload, much faster than even my iPhone 4S, so I am happy with AT&T. Using HSPA would also save a lot of battery life, and this iPad has almost twice the battery capacity of the iPad 2 to accommodate the LTE, so probably 14-16 hours if I just use HSPA.

4. Jessesfeinberg says

I got 43.58 Mbps on the Verizon LTE network in New York, 30 minutes from Manhattem. That’s INSANELY FAST!!!!!

5. EsthersPuppet says

Anyone know how Farmington, Utah’s rate would be? lol I’m thinking of going with the Verizon version as AT&T has screwed me over big time in the past but we’ll see.

• Joan Bailey says

I’ve been on 4G LTE with AT&T now for about four months in Austin; can’t imagine being without it to run my salon (take client appointments, reschedules, log hair colors and TAKE PICTURES!). Smartphones were made for the hair salon.