Untethered iOS 5.1 Jailbreak is Still Weeks Away

Apple’s latest iOS update, iOS 5.1, still doesn’t have an untethered jailbreak and it appears that that functionality is still a little ways off as Pod2g has confirmed that the jailbreak as at the very least, still weeks away.

So, it seems that progress is being made but those looking to get their hands on that untethered jailbreak tomorrow will have to temper expectations.

Just a few weeks ago, Pod2g, a member of the iOS Dream Team, announced that work had begun on a jailbreak for the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad and that he was “working actively on finding vulnerabilities in 5.1.”

Untethered iOS 5.1 Jailbreak is Still Weeks Away

Currently, there is a tethered jailbreak available to some iOS 5.1 users. A tethered jailbreak requires users to re-install the jailbreak software every time the phone is powered down or it shuts off. It might not sound like much but it can definitely be a headache.

An untethered jailbreak does not have this limitation and therefore it’s a much more desirable piece of software.

As it stands, the only iDevice users that can jailbreak their phone are those not running an A5 or an A5X chip. So that means iPhone 4S and iPad 2 owners are out.

Those who own the new iPad will be happy to know that work has begun on a jailbreak for that device, but it could take some time.

So, at the very least, we’re looking at a few weeks before the untethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak arrives for iDevice owners and it’s possible that the wait could drag on much longer than that.

We’ll keep you posted on any and all updates to the iOS 5.1 jailbreak situation.

Comments

• Dork says

if your such in a hurry why don’t you figure it out yourself. They are trying their best its not as simple as it looks

• Dingleberries says

I agree dude. I buy all kinds of apps from cydia and I like to think I get my $ worth. But I’m not going to take the risk of downloading apps from cydia if I don’t have my safety net in place called restore my iPhone.(not losing my JB) Also I want this stupid number 1 to go away on my settings app.

• Hackbook says

Alright, let’s everybody just calm the fuck down.we are getting there, let’s just keep praying.

1. Saffario says

I’d just like to send my sincere gratitude to all of you who are working on an unthethered jail break for 5.1. and of course all that you have done for us from the beginning. You guys rock!

2. Saffario says

Also, if there are hackers out there that can help. Please do. Apple has delighted us all with their products, but ultimately we all know that open source is the way of the future. You guys are doing us all a service; and on a larger scale your are doing humanity a service through your belief in open source sharing. Your collaboration with each other will drive all of us forward and will make open source and inevitablity. Open source is to software, what biodynamics is to farming, and sustainability to the forestry and fishing industry. Work together for all of us. You have our support.

• D&iCK says

I agree with Saffario and would like to add Whore is such a jerk that he needs to shove his head into a public restroom. God knows, he may find one that fits him

3. Esswasim says

Some are offering the jailbreak for some $24 I am not sure hw they could get the JB so fast for a5 devices on 5.1, but I am sure I would never trust those websites , i never feel they are genuine, they seem to be fake and I wish someone knew what the hell are those websites talking about, I am annoyed by those website results in google.

• Ahfig23 says

Those sites are always fake. There will always be a free jailbreak software available. The site most likely send you a fake software or it’s just going to be something that’s already available for free.

4. Historykillers says

My phone gets fucked when i do tethered jailbreaking so please release it soon

5. JJL says

C’mon guys, “Whore” has a point! He/She SHOULD be entitled to the free, difficult to achieve, done by someone else out of the goodness of their heart, untethered jailbreak as quickly as possible!!
    Especially if “Whore” has absolutely nothing to offer the dev community himself!!! What is wrong with all of you?? Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!

6. DirtyGymSock says

I’m currently using the tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1. No problems as of yet. But if my phone shuts off and I’m not at home, I’m gonna use the F word a whole lot.

7. Crazzzy75 says

i  am using 5.1  redsmow jailbreak and what is worse is the fact that safari doesnt work on reboot till i run redsnow again.

8. Lanka says

My ipod got fucked in tethered jailbreak so please release untethered jailbreak cos thousands of people are waiting until untethered jailbreak comes ut

9. Justintorres177 says

Thanks to the team trying to make it untethered and to the pple who are rushing them, chill out. They neeed time to make it a good jailbreak with no bugs.