iPhone 4S Jailbreak Absinthe 2.0 Errors Put Jailbreakers on Lockdown

The iPhone 4S jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1 is finally available for the masses, but despite a new streamlined process that doesn’t require fancy button pressing to enter DFU mode, the tool is failing for a number of users.

The Chronic Dev Team claims the Absinthe 2.0 iPhone 4S jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 is, “so easy your grandma could do it ;D”, but that isn’t the case for everyone.

Specifically, many iPhone 4S owners are unable to finish the jailbreak process.

Update: How to Solve iPhone 4S Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 Errors in Absinthe 2.0

When I tried to jailbreak the iPhone 4S, Absinthe 2.0 gave me the following errors.

“Hmm… something seems to have gone wrong… trying to recover”

Absinthe 2.0 something seems to have gone wrong

and

Absinthe 2.0  Recovery completed. If you want to retry jailbreaking, unplug your device and plug it back in

These errors are frustrating to say the least, and a prime example of one of the issues that can pop up when users jailbreak the iPhone 4S.

I did not lose any data, but I’ve wasted the morning restoring from backup and attempting to jailbreak the iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1.

You can follow our guide, How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1 and check out my essential iPhone 4S jailbreak apps, but I can’t install them just yet.

I’ve reached out to members of the jailbreak team on Twitter to try to figure out what this error means, and how to get around it.

I’m currently restoring form a backup and will try that way, even if it means the jailbreak will take longer. I have heard that restoring the iPhone 4S in iTunes might help, but it should be the same as restoring from the phone.

Have you found a solution to the “Recovery completed. If you want to retry jailbreaking, unplug your device and plug it back in.” and “”Hmm… something seems to have gone wrong… trying to recover” Absinthe 2.0 errors?

Comments

1. panduh says

Had the same problem and restoring the device from iTunes helped me get passed the error

2. me1433 says

I can also confirm that doing a restore from within iTunes, and then running the JB seems to clear the error.

3. Steve F. says

I’ve followed all the instructions, and the Jailbreak button remains grayed out. My iphone has remained plugged in, but I can’t get the jailbreak button to activate.

Here’s the steps I’ve taken. Am I missing something?

1. Download Absinthe.
    2. Open .dmg file
    3. Back up iPhone
    4. Reset iphone, clearing all data and settings.
    5. Open Absinthe – Jailbreak button grey.
    6. Restore iphone through iTunes.
    7. Open Absinthe – Still grey Jailbreak button.

I’ve tried restarting my iphone, computer, etc., but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Kelly says

I had this same prob. i didn’t have itunes installed on my laptop. I installed it and plugged in my phone and it worked, except absinthe is not responding after a few mins trying the download. So i’m stuck, I’ve tried 2 different computers.

4. Ed says

Yea having the same issue with my iPhone 4S. Really weird how it seems to be happening for a lot of people. I’m using Absinthe 2.0 on windows? Is everyone else who is using Absinthe 2.0 using it on windows as well?

• Sten says

I have the same with iPod touch 4g and I jailbroke on a late 2011 iMac. I got the same errors and nos cant install anything from cydia!

5. David says

Im the same, on mac with the 4s. Tried doing it the way it said and then just jailbreaking with the device fully restored and nothing :(

Any help?

6. Helena says

I went on airplane mode, turned off location services, closed iTunes out and it worked fine.

• Jorrin says

Indeed this works. 1)Restore via iTunes. 2)Configure as new iPhone. 3)Jailbreak. 4)Link to iTunes

7. Samuca says

Iphone 4S

Those of you who updated to 5.1.1 using the OTA update need to do a full restore using DFU mode. Then re-run the jailbreak and it will work. Worked for me!

Apparently, there are some problems with jailbreaking devices that have been updated to 5.1.1 via OTA updates. The solution is to put your device in DFU mode and restore the device in iTunes. Servers are still overloaded, but this might help with some of the issues people are having.

I can confirm that this worked for me on the first try, after several failed attempts with the 5.1.1 OTA update.

Hugs

8. D says

you dont need to restore.
    unsync all videos, music and pics in itunes.
    (apps, music players, video players)
    jb using absinthe 2.0
    resync videos, music and pics.

ta-dah now you have it ….ip4s jbroken!!!

9. iamsuperstarr says

Hey guys not sure if you’ve realized this, but Absinth 2.0.1 has been released like Wbeatz noticed. I downloaded it and tried it and it worked like a charm on the first try. Not sure if it had anything to do with the 2nd reset I did, but whatever the case it works so I’m not complaining!

10. Jason says

For those that want to use an iCloud backup, but also jailbreak… Restore the phone in itunes, then go through the whole activation process. Once it finishes restoring settings and goes to your home screen, go to settings and turn OFF Wifi AND Data, this will essentially put your phone in limbo, as it wont be able to download all your apps. Also, if you use a VPN and it restored with your iCloud backup, delete it! You can always set it up later. Jailbreak using absinthe 2.0.1, and then reenable wifi and Data. Cydia should pop up. tap on an app, and it should download the rest of your apps

11. Geeetee says

My iphone 4s is unable to update or restore. its running on 5.0.1..keeps coming up with iphone could not be updated .an unknown error occurred (1602)…plzzz need help

12. Dennis Menace says

PLEASE post what iPhone model you are using. WE CAN’T your mind dumb dumb!
    My iPhone 4S…
    Jailbreak went smoooooth.
    One WIERD issue never seen before.
    When downloading Anything via Cydia, instead of showing packages like usual, it shows http error in red.
    I retry download, it then works.
    Also, an occasional “numb screen”. Won’t respond to my touch when swipin springboard pages. Again only for a millisecond.
    I will say that I was lucky and probably one of few they or early download.
    It was released early yesterday when most didn’t have a clue yet….

13. Justin D says

I jailbroke my iphone 4 on ios 5.1.1 yesterday morning easily on the first attempt. But later i had to restore to fix something real fast. When i went to jailbreak it again, Absinthe said my device wasn’t compatible . Yet it was that morning? Its still my iphone 4 with ios 5.1.1 like it was the first time.
    The VERSION says 5.1.1
    the FIRMWARE says 4.12.01

Does that matter? I’ve completely restored and updated the phone to the newest possible.. Does anyone know what wrong? :/

• Ashleigh A says

Justin D….I am having exactly the same problem!! So frustrated!! I have tried restoring my phone several times, tried wiping everything off before jailbreaking and I still get the message “sorry, the device connected is mot compatible”. Even tried doing a tethered jailbreak and it won’t work either
      :( I really hope someone know how to fix this!

• Justin D says

Ashleigh, I figured out how to fix it! :D :D
        Okay, when I, and you probably restored your phone, Apple downloaded ios 5.1.1 onto our phone. BUT its NOT the same ios 5.1.1 that we had before. The version that works with the jailbreak is 5.1.1 build (9B206)

Go to you general settings, about, at version see if it says 206 or 208/209.

If it DOESNT say 206, then click this and download the 206 version.

Save it to your desktop, then when its done, open itunes, hold shift and click check for updates. Then choose the file you just downloaded. It will then put THAT version on your phone. Then try to re jailbreak. Should work like a charm :)

14. Leonardo says

HOW TO SOLVE LOCKDOWN ERROR -5: in mac os: change permits! To: R/W to ALL users!
    Windows: run as administrator in adminisitrator account!
    Permits are confusing Absinthe

15. SergiPhone says

I was Running an iPhone 4S on 5.1.1. and i downloaded absinthe to jailbreak and when i was doing it in the middle of the jailbreak it crashed and the program shut down. I had earlier backed up and restored my phone to factory settings ( that was instructed) and when i try to activate now it does not activate. iTunes says this: Your request couldn’t be processed.
    We’re sorry, but there was an error processing your request. Please try again later.

and my iphone says it can not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable.

HELP?!??! anyone experience this? please let me know!

16. Quintin says

My iPhone was succesfully jailbroken..but then..i saw that my network settings couldnt be changed anymore and my wi-fi hotspot function was missing…so i wiped it out completely and now i am trying to restore it but it says that an error 21 or something poped up (btw this is on windows 7) what the hell should i do??anyone with the same issues??

17. destiny says

so when i got to the screen that said plug in your iphone4s i plugged it in and it said sorry, this device isnt supported?? what do i do

18. Pray4ragE says

I have the hmm…something seems to have gone wrong…trying to restore… error as well, it is iOS 5.1.1 build 9B206, I have not found a fix yet and no other Jailbreaks (Limera1n, redsnow etc.) work. Some of them say successfully jailbroken but no cydia icon appears, if anyone can help please do. Thanks any help appreciated :)

19. Gary says

I have an iPhone 4S 5.1.1
    At around 1AM, after downloading Absinthe 2.0.4, I backed-up my iPhone via iCloud and began the jailbreak. It seemed to run fine and about 20 minutes in it stopped doing anything else. I decided to leave it alone and see what happens but it is now 11:36AM and the progress bar, although still bubbling, has not moved from the same point, approximately 3/4 of the way…
    My iPhone display has the Mac logo with an elongated oval under it that is black…
    Please help…? I don’t know what to do. I am tempted to unplug but hoping for a response with some instruction before I do that.
    I’m plugged into a MacBook OSX also, my iTunes is now not opening.

20. James says

Hello. Is this the same issue I’m having?
    Took my phone into a Vodafone shop to transfer blackberry pics to my iPhone 4S. It wasn’t successful and now my iPhone doesn’t show my pics I had on there or the transferred pics, it just says ‘restoring x of x’. I can take new pics and they sit there but my old ones since the transfer aren’t there…anyone know how to get the pics back?? Thanks

21. Ankith@ Gadgets says

Here’s a simple solution. Just factory restore the device and try this Jailbreak. I’m 110% sure that it will work. This is the perfect guide. However make sure you have backed up all your data or else you might end up wasting everything :)