Clicky

What to Do When the iPhone Won’t Turn On

By  |  21 Comments

You’ve just pulled the iPhone out of your pocket and it won’t turn on.

A dead iPhone is a scary thought, but don’t freak out yet.

If the iPhone won’t turn on or respond, it might not be broken.

Here’s what to do if your iPhone doesn’t turn on.

What to do if your iPhone won't turn on.

If the iPhone won’t turn on, here are some steps to try and fix it.

Take a Closer Look

First give the iPhone a physical examination. Look it over and see if there is any physical damage that has been done to the device. After looking it over determine whether or not you have caused the malfunction. If there is no physical damage done to the device here are a few steps to try and resolve the issue.

Check the Temperature

Feel the device and determine whether the device is unusually warm or cold. If the device feels hot on the back where the battery is located or colder than usual let the temperature return to normal. There is usually a message that will appear if the iPhone is too hot to turn on but not if it is too cold.

This is a common cause of iPhones that won’t turn on after the owner has been outside in extreme weather or if the phone was left in the car in the heat or cold.

Charge the iPhone

Once the phone has returned to normal temperature try booting it up. If the phone still does not turn on plug it into the wall charger with the official Apple charger and cable for 45 minutes to one hour.

This will give the battery a chance to get a charge if it was overheated or if it had been exhausted.

Go to Apple for Help

If all else fails take the phone back to Apple. If there is no physical damage you can sometimes get a replacement for $150. If you have a warranty through Square Trade, Apple Care+ or with your wireless carrier, start there.

21 Comments

1. Nate

07/21/2012 at 9:33 am

More often than not, an iPhone that will not turn on is stuck in standby mode.

Hold down the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo. Chances are, you’ll be good to go.

• Stephanie Graham

08/04/2012 at 12:09 pm

Nate-
      This is the trick that totally saved me!!! Thank you so much! Damn iPhone giving me a fright! Thanks for adding this comment :)

• Debi

08/19/2012 at 7:39 pm

Thanks so much! Took ur advice and corrected the problem.

• philyyyy

04/18/2013 at 12:40 pm

legend

• noinee

05/04/2013 at 10:23 am

Hi, I encountered this problem and solved it by your comment, but do you know why this happened?
      I mean, why does this happen to the phone?

2. JM_66

07/23/2012 at 6:21 am

Or just go get a different phone.

3. PJ

10/26/2012 at 6:13 pm

Nate- thanks for that tip- that worked for me! Saved me a trip and $150 for a phone that is still working!

4. Jade Alex

11/16/2012 at 8:46 am

Thanks sooooooooooooooooo much i got nightmare too of my iPhone being stuck

5. Kelly Edward

11/16/2012 at 8:51 am

I love my iPhone thankyou

6. Tracey

11/27/2012 at 9:52 am

Thank u soooooi very much. Your a life saver :-)))))

7. Shealyn Benton

01/29/2013 at 1:41 pm

that did not work for me. my iphone will just freaze with the logo sign on it or the whole screen will turn to green or blue!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!

8. Weberman

01/29/2013 at 5:11 pm

Worked perfectly! My iPhone just died and woudl not charge. I applied the tip above and it “turned on” in about 12 seconds. Thanks.

9. Gee Gee

02/03/2013 at 1:57 pm

thank u .. I was going crazy because I couldn’t get my alarm to cut off. I spent the whole day turning it off every 1- minutes. I feel like a bone head for no checking on line b4.

thanks again

10. Scherpy

02/21/2013 at 11:57 pm

What if I suspect it won’t turn on because of contact with water? Should I send for repair?

11. Serena

03/02/2013 at 11:52 am

This happened to mine. I unscrewed the battery port and unhooked it. Then put it back in. And whala it turned on.

12. Gemma sellick

03/05/2013 at 1:29 pm

I used this same method and my iPhone did restart but for all of 10 mins and went of again I have not been able to get it to work since I’m not fussed about the phone it’s all my pics…. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated

13. cat parrella

03/31/2013 at 3:27 pm

my phone doesnt slide across to open and some buttons to put in password dont work

14. jillian

04/17/2013 at 5:29 pm

i just got a new i phone, a brand new one.. and it wont let me turn the wifi on and it only works with a wall charger. i unplugged the wall charger and i put it back in and it wont turn on! i have used several chargers i got this phone 2 days ago PLEASE HELP im praying

• That guy who know how to fix iPhones

08/21/2013 at 5:40 am

Plug it in to I tunes and restore it please tell me you thought of that

15. Marphew

08/21/2013 at 5:38 am

You are all idiots firstly if your phone won’t turn on an obviously your would try soft restore for those people who are dumb and do not know why it is you hold down the home and lock button for 30sec to 1min and still doesn’t work what no retard ever thought of plugging it into tunes ever think of that dumb ass

• superddub

12/06/2013 at 4:01 pm

@marPhew. you need your mouth washed out with soap and while your at it , someone needs to teach you some manners. that type of language un-called for. If you cannot be nice with your derisory comments, then don’t comment at all.